Chorus II Midrange mods

pcbiz

I have installed Crites Chorus II crossovers in my old Chorus II speakers, and they came to life. They are very nice. However, what caps or coils can I change on this board to get more clarity and detail from the squawker, just a little closer to the Forte III or IV sound. I know how to solder and use an ohm meter. That's about it.

ChorusII_1024x1024@2x.thumb.jpg.b5e7c36d89e86fa309566d7723821c7b.jpg

• Like 1

Those are good components although the Sonicaps are more money than they are worth and I have quit using them.  The only thing Bob and I ever disagreed on was the electrolytic cap used in the woofer circuit. He called it basically a garbage can and nothing fancy needed. I use a $19 68uf Audyn cap and I think they are better sounding and will last longer than electrolytics.  To do this in Sonicaps where the highest value they make is 33uf would take two 33uf and one 2uf soldered together to get that value and would cost $$$$$$.

I don't think the mid range is the problem here and you might ask what others have done to their Chorus speakers to improve sound and not limit your question to the crossover in the title.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• pcbiz changed the title to Chorus II Midrange mods
27 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Those are good components although the Sonicaps are more money than they are worth and I have quit using them.  The only thing Bob and I ever disagreed on was the electrolytic cap used in the woofer circuit. He called it basically a garbage can and nothing fancy needed. I use a $19 68uf Audyn cap and I think they are better sounding and will last longer than electrolytics.  To do this in Sonicaps where the highest value they make is 33uf would take two 33uf and one 2uf soldered together to get that value and would cost $$$$$$.

I don't think the mid range is the problem here and you might ask what others have done to their Chorus speakers to improve sound and not limit your question to the crossover in the title.

Good idea. I changed the title. I've also added Kilmat to the mid horn, and that really helped a lot. Got rid of the hollow shouty thing completely.

Now that I'm hearing the mids much clearer, I want a way to space the instruments and vocals out. They sound congested compared to my Heresys with ALK crossovers.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dave A said:

I found the 68uf Audyn cap on Parts Express. They're $18.69 right now. So the one I'm replacing is... number 1?

image.png.996243c5d0076fa4e72633919bfc36f8.png

Check for air leaks, get a 25 hz frequency on repeat or burn something. Get the woofer come moving a bit and use a small 3/16 or so hose one side to your ear and the other fish for leaks around the components and cabinet. This makes finding sound degrading leaks easy.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pcbiz said:

I found the 68uf Audyn cap on Parts Express. They're $18.69 right now. So the one I'm replacing is... number 1?

1 is a resistor used in the midrange section.

2 is a 2uf cap in the tweeter section. 

3 is what you would change out if that's the plan. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dave A said:

OK, here we go, I am in the middle of rebuilding x overs in Forte II and Chorus II.  I checked some old threads and Roy said to just use an electrolyte on the Woofer sections (68 and 100 uf).  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

OK, here we go, I am in the middle of rebuilding x overs in Forte II and Chorus II.  I checked some old threads and Roy said to just use an electrolyte on the Woofer sections (68 and 100 uf).  

Sure go ahead but if you are a bit curious it does not cost much to see. What got me thinking about this was four sets of KPT-456's that had 50uf poly caps in them and I liked the sound. Not going to participate in capacitor wars I just state what it is I do for my work and you can try or not try as you like. To this day the 904's do not have an electrolytic on the crossover for example and I figure commercial users have higher expectations. I have some right now and there sits that 50uf mylar cap in the woofer circuit.

9 hours ago, pcbiz said:

As avguytx stated #3 is the one. I have a question here and I am not trying to be flippant. If you can't ID components how good is your soldering skill? If you do not know what you are doing you can have problems.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Dave A said:

As avguytx stated #3 is the one. I have a question here and I am not trying to be flippant. If you can't ID components how good is your soldering skill? If you do not know what you are doing you can have problems.

I recapped my Heresy I crossovers. Then I switched the boards for ALK crossovers. My soldering skills are normally for vintage tube guitar amplifiers, so crossovers are easy.

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Can you read a schematic?

Funny you should ask. I was just looking up the Chorus II schematics. Yes, I can read schematics, but with the wiggly puzzle that is the Crites Chorus II crossover, I just wanted to cut through the guesswork.

10 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

And?

Looks like #4 is the winner. 6uF cap. I'll look for an alternative for better midrange tone. The woofer caps are a different brand, not Sonicaps. The woofer sounds fine to me right now, so I'll experiment with the midrange first and see what happens. We live in the midrange.

1745512933_ChorusIIcrossoverschematic.jpg.e41818b827282c82849fe61299c13b64.jpg

15 hours ago, pcbiz said:

I recapped my Heresy I crossovers. Then I switched the boards for ALK crossovers.

This is the third time in as many days that I've seen this. The original universal would work with the Klipschorn, LaScala, and Belle Klipsch. There was a different network for the Cornwall, and that network could be modified to work in the Heresy. Now there is one network that works in all of them?

I have a table of values that Al sent me when I was building this stuff for him. The cap/coil combinations should change based on the loudspeaker you're using the networks in. Just curious -- did you specify Heresy when you ordered them?

Anyways, the Universal is more detailed with sharper boundary presentation, but the sound isn't nearly as cohesive as the Klipsch networks. Many of us have went the ALK route, only to return home.

• Like 1