Chorus II Midrange mods

pcbiz

4 hours ago, Deang said:

Just curious -- did you specify Heresy when you ordered them?

Yes, I specified my Heresy I pair. The sound was excellent.

I just wish I had the Universals here to try on my Chorus IIs. The design is universal, so it adjusts within a certain range to match woofers and squawkers. In theory it sounds great, but Al says he doesn't support the Chorus II. He offers no details or explanation as to why.

• 2 years later...

In the past several months I came to the conclusion that the Chorus II is an orphaned design.

Mine traveled a bit doing wedding DJ for kids short on funds.

Grading the design aspects....

Grill...A

Box...A

Drivers...B+

Passive radiator protection....D

Riser integrity....D+

Feet....E

Network....B-

.... comparatively speaking my Type AA in my Belles is a robust design, Chorus II is smallish and fragile, definitely not creating customer confidence.

They are black and definitely do not look nice compared to the walnut oil Belles. I have a furniture restorer lined up to reveneer in either maple, cherry or bubinga. We will add more structure to the riser and better feet. Maybe a small amount of internal bracing and a protective cover for the passive radiator.

Design contradictions are strange. A great grill but weak riser and feet. Good network design but fragile circuit board instead of point to point wired.

I infer somewhere in the design and prototype process there was a more expensive to manufacturer and robust design iteration.

Just a retired MSME pontificating....😎

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

A great grill but weak riser and feet.

The Chorus 1 came with a sheet of plywood as a brace inside the riser making it very stout- not sure why they left it out on the CH-2.

18d196e6c6561738b8473dd93b2f570e.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Audio Flynn said:

Riser integrity....D+

Feet....E

I had new risers built for my Chorus IIs. Solid pine shaped like the modern floating Forte risers. I screwed them onto the bottoms, and they looked much better. However, the big surprise was the sonic improvement. The pine risers tightened up the bass very nicely, giving the bass more of a sealed woofer sound.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2024 at 11:07 PM, pcbiz said:

I had new risers built for my Chorus IIs. Solid pine shaped like the modern floating Forte risers. I screwed them onto the bottoms, and they looked much better. However, the big surprise was the sonic improvement. The pine risers tightened up the bass very nicely, giving the bass more of a sealed woofer sound.

Did you change the stainless steel "button" feet?

On 4/5/2024 at 6:55 PM, Audio Flynn said:

Did you change the stainless steel "button" feet?

Yes, the bottoms were bare wood. It was easier to slide them across the carpet that way.