Cornwall lV vs JBL 4367

Shiva

Not to be a Klipsch fan-boy, but Edgar is right; the JBL retails for $15k-$16.4k a pair.

The Cornwalls are $6.6k a pair.

The Cornwalls are more efficient; 94db vs. 102dB. The JBL's are real poseurs in this regard!

And the Cornwalls weigh less, so they're easier to move around!

I personally think the Cornwalls look more attractive for the home environment. The JBL's are described in the factory literature as a "studio monitor". Not exactly elegant in your livingroom.

• Like 1

Apples and oranges. The JBL is obviously a more technically sound loudspeaker but it has to be for the price and because it's a studio monitor. Literally a reference. Ideal for mid-sized control rooms or even HiFi if someone wants that dead on neutral sound. They sound great on pristine recordings like this but are not as forgiving with "normal" non audiophile stuff. Poorly recorded music (which let's be honest most stuff we like are) will sound terrible on them it will just make you want to listen to audiophile easy listening stuff all the time to admire the sound quality instead of music you actually enjoy and have an emotional connection to.

The Cornwalls as their name implies actually sound better closer to the wall, the drivers and the whole sound just becomes more coherent as 1 unit closer to the wall and the low end disperses through the walls and the room better. They are more like a live event type sound, not neutral by any stretch but will do virtually anything well including HT.

That is a terrible amp pairing for Cornwalls. Something like a MC152 or MA5300 would have been far better from McIntosh but I definitely prefer solid state with them for a weightier sound with more low end grip and less bloaty sluggish bass. Anything Class A or AB, Pass, Accuphase, Bryston etc. that's what you want for that energic, clean and clear sound.

The new Mac stuff sounds soooo much better it's amazing. Mac's used to sound very warm and mushy just smothering detail. Their newer stuff, really anything made in the last 10-11 sounds completely different. I used the MA5200 for awhile in 2ch and it sounded amazing. Detailed, clean and energetic. I tried some of their older stuff from the 70s, 90s and early 2000s and it was terrible. Mushy, laidback and rolled off. But some people love that mushy warm sound. I just think their new stuff sounds 100x better, it's night and day in my experience. So their sound signature has changed quite a bit -- for the better. If you want that sound tube amps are 100% the way to go with a high quality SS pre.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, sixspeed said:

I tried some of their older stuff from the 70s, 90s and early 2000s and it was terrible. Mushy, laidback and rolled off. But some people love that mushy warm sound. I just think their new stuff sounds 100x better, it's night and day in my experience. So their sound signature has changed quite a bit -- for the better. If you want that sound tube amps are 100% the way to go with a high quality SS pre.

This is what i thought of my early 2k's era Mac amp, it sounds exactly like you described and i've since moved to a 1991 built Accuphase P-360 and it's worlds different. I almost pulled the trigger on an MC402 previously. Would that be the way you would describe that amp too? I see most have it as a highly regarded amp in Mac's history. I was also near pulling the trigger on an MC7200 or MC7300, i don't remember but it was a direct coupled amp/no mac autoformer which is supposed to sound different from the laid back rolled off muddy sound. I already owned an MC7106(direct coupled) that can bridge to 320wpc and it's definitely better than the autoformer mac amp im selling, but i passed on the 7300 because i felt it was just my 7106 on roids.  Accuphase build quality blew me away but McIntosh is so easy to service here if there is any issues.

Are there amps you can recommend in the 2-3k range from the last 10-11 years you think sound night and day from their past eras? What makes them different? Quad balanced? 
Thanks

• Like 2

I find them sounding quite similar really, which makes sense as they are similar concepts/designs. The JBLs are quite attractive to my old eyes. I assume they come with grilles? Dollar for dollar the Cornwalls are a better value for the shade of difference between them.

Addition: I just re-watched (listened), with my Meze Classics. I had initially watched using my JBL Charge 4 which I use as my computer speaker when it isn't outside on the deck. The Cornwalls have some more there there. I would imagine that is because of the separate horn tweeter. Just seems a bit more clear and defined to me. Truth be told I could live quite happily with either, but the Cornwalls would be my preference.

Edited by YK Thom
another listen

On 10/15/2021 at 8:27 PM, 001 said:

and  quite a Big Monitor -

They've made big monitors for years. Big name studios used to have big monitors. They got smaller when people started recording more in their bedrooms and dens.

4350-10-1.thumb.jpg.c8802758bcc499975193eb1f179524df.jpg

• Like 3

I think the 4367 JBL has mid range to die for.  Made me start googling them to see if any used ones are for sale.  A gent in NJ has two pair and one pair (with 5 hours use) is for sale for $9999.  Retail price is now $16,500 according to his add.

Pony express from NJ to NC coast?

• Like 3