Powerline Wifi Booster causes noise in Heresy speakers

MeloManiac

I should upgrade mine. I'm still using some 10-11 year old Apple Airport extremes. I have one in each end of the house connected to my internet provider's router (each on a gigabit port). The whole house is covered pretty evenly. We only use the wifi for the cell phones and one laptop. Everything else is plugged in. TV is plugged in and the Firestick has a wired connection. The connection is pretty good.

What shows here varies depending on where I am connecting.

speed_test.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

I'm hoping some of you still want to chime in on this post.

First, a summary: after installing a Wifi Powerline Booster set in my house, I'm hearing noise through my speakers: not as load, but similar to the old school 'dial in modems' from long ago. I can literally listen in to my wifi activity in the house. When I remove the boosters, the noise is gone (and so is my wifi...)

So I have been living with this noise for a couple of weeks now, I have now also replaced my router with a modern one, but the problem is still present, if not more!

I have also contacted support, but they say they never heard of this issue. I'm sure I'm not unique, because I got plenty of reactions here, but the friendly person at the helpdesk was kind of in 'denial mode'. 

So here is my question. When listening through my 1972 Heresy speakers, the noise is very substantial and annoying. But when I listen through my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphones, the noise I hardly noticable. My theory is that these modern headphones have a built-in filter for this. Could that be right?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MeloManiac said:

UPDATE

So here is my question. When listening through my 1972 Heresy speakers, the noise is very substantial and annoying. But when I listen through my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro headphones, the noise I hardly noticable. My theory is that these modern headphones have a built-in filter for this. Could that be right?

As others have said, the powerline wifi booster produces a signal that is not filtered out by the amplifier, and therefore, is amplified and you hear it in the speakers. As for why you don't hear it in your headphones I suspect that the headphone amplifier circuit in whatever device you're plugging the 'phones into has (a) a couple resistors to pad down the circuit, and (b) the DT990 Pro has an impedance of 250 ohms, further padding down the line noise.  The noise is there, just not audibly loud enough.

As others have said: ditch the powerline wifi booster.  Get a mesh system, a plug in range extender (repeater), or fish a hard ethernet line.  If audiophiles had their way powerline signal boosters would have a warning on the packaging saying it is going to contribute to noise in your audio system, but alas, we don't.

• Like 2

I was using a PowerLine 2000 and had noise issues.   Unfortunately I don't have a wired Ethernet port for my Vault 2i so I need a way to get to my router.   I got a TP Link brand Ether over AC adapter and no noise, gone.   Works great

Things like Glade Plug in air fresheners can cause noise.   Pull anything like that out of your outlets while troubleshooting 

• Like 2

Yes, me thinks some are being a bit harsh on Powerline Ethernet adapters.  I’ve never had any noise at all when using them, and typically have a strong internet signal.  

I’d try looking elsewhere for the issue.  As stated above, the source of the noise could be elsewhere.  

Sorry, late to the party, just noticed this thread.  MSEE here and Extra Class ham.  My suspicion would be that the amplifier power supply is not adequately filtering power line noise and it is getting into the amplifier power rail.  Note that this is unrelated to "surge."  I would look for a powerline noise filter and see if that helps.  Google gave me these guys: https://palomar-engineers.com/rfi-kits/miscellaneous-rfi-solutions/wall-wart-rfi-filter-kit/Noise-Filters-AC-DC-c21620742   I suggesting contacting their tech support; they may be able to offer some advice.

(Filters comprising wires wrapped on ferrite toroids may look a little Micky-Mouse to some, but they are a very common and effective means of filtering.  You may have seen USB or monitor cords with a "lump."  That is a ferrite toroid that the wire passes through just once.  Wrapping multiple times substantially increases the filtering.)

Regarding the ethernet gadget, it might well be pumping unnecessary noise into the power line.  Designers of that type of product are highly cost driven and will not be spending even pennies to prevent rare problems like this.  Filtering on that end might work, but it might just filter out the ethernet signal too. )-:  It doesn't cost anything to try, though.

Re the headphones vs Heresy, that's hard to guess.  Probably it is a consequence of exactly where in the amplifier the unwanted buzz is getting introduced.

• Like 1

• Moderators

When you say Powerline Wifi Booster do you mean the type you plug in and it just repeats and extends the wifi ?

I used this one in the past (first pic) to reach a shop 80' from the house, it worked 80% of the time, because of distance.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX6120/dp/B014YN7LVE/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=wifi%2Bextender&qid=1637025251&sr=8-5&th=1

I just recently changed to a true powerline adapter (second pic) and it works great 100% signal all the time inside a metal building. It plugs into an outlet and a ethernet cable connects to your router. It puts the internet into your existing house wireing, another one is plugged into any other outlet and it also has an Ethernet cable to connect to another router or directly into a device and the signal is as good as connectiong into the first router.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-AV1000-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B08M13B8B6/ref=sr_1_3?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&keywords=Powerline%2BComputer%2BNetwork%2BAdapters&qid=1637026199&s=pc&sr=1-3&ts_id=1194444&th=1

With either of these I had no noise at all, both are used for audio/stereo with some effecient speakers which well show any static or noise. The second setup I explained is going through a circuit with 3 other outdoor outlets and about 250' long, works great.

The first pic is the one that is just a booster.

Second is the one that useses the house wire and by far the best in my case anyway.

51FZjlbaySL._AC_SL1350_.jpg

61qttkvUFVS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Terrier said:

My suspicion would be that the amplifier power supply is not adequately filtering power line noise and it is getting into the amplifier power rail.

I think that this is indeed what is going on.

4 hours ago, dtel said:

I just recently changed to a true powerline adapter (second pic) and it works great 100% signal all the time inside a metal building. It plugs into an outlet and a ethernet cable connects to your router. It puts the internet into your existing house wireing, another one is plugged into any other outlet and it also has an Ethernet cable to connect to another router or directly into a device and the signal is as good as connectiong into the first router.

This is indeed my setup too, but a different brand. But in my case, my tube amplifier picks up 'internet activity noise' and amplifies it somewhat, resulting somewhat in a 'dial-in modem' situation like we know from 25 years ago...

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MeloManiac said:

This is indeed my setup too, but a different brand. But in my case, my tube amplifier picks up 'internet activity noise' and amplifies it somewhat, resulting somewhat in a 'dial-in modem' situation like we know from 25 years ago...

Sorry to hear that, there is the chance that I just got lucky ? All SS here so it could be part of the difference ? Or the first thing I said. :lol:

My only other option was to run a cable out there and I REALLY did not want to do that. I did order that powerline adapter through amazon since they gave a free return on it, just in case. I can't say I was not a little skeptical and then suprised when it worked so well and with no setup, just plug it in and go. The speakers would tell me if there was noise, they are split LaScala tops and MWM bottoms out in the shop and also ran Heresy's out in the yard tiki bar with the WIFI booster both with a laptop using HDMI if that made any difference ?

But over the years I have been very lucky with no static or hums and I am not organized with cables, just luck I guess.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here's another UPDATE, this time with good news.

A couple of weeks ago, I decided to buy some back-up tubes for my Leben CS300.

I still have the original nos Sovtek tubes that came with the CS300 amp, and I also have the set of Genalex Gold Lion vacuum tubes that the previous owner had bought when the nos sovtek tubes needed replacement. These tubes are generally seen as the best option for the CS300 on the internet usergroups.

Let me tell you right now: I don't agree.

You see, when the original Leben CS300 came on the market (in 2006), buyers could tell the company what tubes they preferred, and then the company would build the amp around those tubes. If the buyer didn't have a preference, the CS300 came with new robust Sovtek EL84M power tubes (M stands for military grade). So, after some clever thinking from my side ;-), I decided to buy a set of these, and also the Sovtek 12AX7LPS (longplates) pre-amp tubes. They are easily available here in Europe. (A couple of years ago, I had upgraded my tiny TubeCube 7 with these tubes also, and I loved them.)

And you know what? Once the tubes are hot, which takes about 2 minutes, and I must say they get a lot warmer than the Genalex and the nos tubes, the noise I get from the powerline wifi booster is pushed completely to the background and is gone!

PSX_20211208_113815.thumb.jpg.02d7487b01052efeb928099299adeb09.jpg

PSX_20211208_112625.thumb.jpg.a6b67a833095dfccdebdf772180355f5.jpg

• Like 4