SOLD: Cary SLI-80 F1

michaelwjones

Cary SLI-80 Signature F1 with the uncommon British Racing Green chassis and a black face plate. This unit has no issues sonically or cosmetically save a few tiny swirls in the paint from dusting. This integrated is a classic and is good enough to be used by Klipsch for demos. You can actually buy it as a ‘Heritage’ model with side panels to match your speakers.

https://www.caryaudio.com/products/sli-80hs/

It puts out 80 Watts/channel in Ultra-linear mode / 40 watts per channel in Triode mode. Switchable for 4 or 8 ohm speakers.

It’s a tube rollers’ dream. Aside for the usual signal tubes, you can change the rectifier tubes and run power tubes from EL34 to KT-120. The unit has manual bias. Currently this one is running Svetlana 6550C power tubes.

Beside the paint job, the F1 adds:

- Jensen copper & oil capacitors

- Hexfreds rectifiers in the power supply

- CD input wired with Kimber Kable

- WBT Speaker terminals; real WBT terminals, not “WBT style.”

- Greyhill gold plated switch for inputs

I hate to part with it, but I bought another SLI-80 F1 which is direct coupled. It sings with EL-34s  IMHO.

Includes remote control,  power cord, manual, and original packing.

$2250 plus shipping to you (it weighs 42#).  Please email any questions.  Thanks.

Specifications -

Circuit Type Push-Pull Ultra-Linear Pure Class AB-1
Power Output 80 Watts – Ultra-Linear / 40 Watts – Triode
Input Sensitivity .45 Volt for full output
Noise and Hum -82 dB below full output
Frequency Response 19 Hz to 23 KHz +/- .5 dB
Inputs CD, AUX1, AUX2, Headphone jack
Outputs: Sub-woofer out
Tubes complement is 2 ea 6922 Input Buffer Preamp / 2 ea – 6SN7 Pre Driver/Phase Inverter / 2 ea – 5U4 Rectifiers / 4 ea - Output Tubes

SLI-80 - 1.jpeg

SLI-80 - 2.jpeg

SLI-80 - 3.jpeg

SLI-80 - 5.jpeg

SLI-80 - 4.jpeg

SLI-80 - 6.jpeg

SLI-80 - 7.jpeg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I thought about your amp vs another tube amp I just  bought today. Glad it sold for you quickly.  Saving up for horns eh?  I see you sold multiples nice itema lately. Which horns in particular? 

Wow, that's interesting. Given your comments during our conversation I'm surprised to see you venturing into tubes again. May I ask; what did you get?

Just now, Area 51 said:

Wow, that's interesting. Given your comments during our conversation I'm surprised to see you venturing into tubes again. May I ask; what did you get?

You may, I bought a Carver Crimson 275.   I'm happy with my hypex amp, but I had great experiences with tubes in the past prior. With 104 dB efficiency (free space) , I don't NEED more than say 40 watts or so, even when I crank it from the other end of the house.   The hypex NC1200 will never clip unless I run it outdoors at full tilt (which I won't). 

2 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

You may, I bought a Carver Crimson 275.   I'm happy with my hypex amp, but I had great experiences with tubes in the past prior. With 104 dB efficiency (free space) , I don't NEED more than say 40 watts or so, even when I crank it from the other end of the house.   The hypex NC1200 will never clip unless I run it outdoors at full tilt (which I won't). 

Good luck with your new Carver. I'll be looking for your posts regarding tube amps and tubes as I'm auditioning a few myself; taking advantage of Amazon's holiday extended return policy. Allows me to hopefully get my feet wet once I get settled in my new place. I hope you'll continue to share your experience.

Just now, Area 51 said:

Good luck with your new Carver. I'll be looking for your posts regarding tube amps and tubes as I'm auditioning a few myself; taking advantage of Amazon's holiday extended return policy. Allows me to hopefully get my feet wet once I get settled in my new place. I hope you'll continue to share your experience.

I'm going to try it. Many reasons why I chose this amp specifically... Super easy to bias, crazy long life and cool running tubes, high SNR (low noise), carvers one offs on this amp and the reviews.  I had to try it.  It will either be a fit with stock tubes or it wont.   I know things can increase dramatically with swapped tubes, but I'm not trying to waste all my time and money doing so