K402 newby setup

tromprof

The damaged 402 horn was repaired yesterday. I used JB Weld Plastic Bonder (2 part urethane)  and was pleased with the reult. The scars are quite visible but at some point I will paint it and they should be undetectable.

After a couple of hours of trying to remember how to get my computer to talk to my Ashly 3.6 and running REW I got them setup on my Klipschorns. The K402 sound certainly lives up to the hype!  I sat down and listened to many of my favorite recording well past midnight. Massive sound stage, amazing clarity and detail.  I am one very happy horn head.

IMG_4293.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

• Like 7

Just recently got wind of this. Congrats on your 4 K-402's. They are precious, to say the least. I'm on my third pair and will have them singing at some point in my new studio. Saving up the for Axi 2050 driver. Yamaha crossovers with Digital XLR AES/EBU inputs will be the driving force to a pair of chip amps. What's a Watt to a horn guy, right? Answer: Too frikkin loud, is what's a watt!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Saving up the for Axi 2050 driver.

I have those in my 'cart' right now... just have to click 'BUY' 😛

I am curious though, the Radian Beryllium are actually 100 bucks cheaper... but the design is different.

4 hours ago, tromprof said:

I am one very happy horn head

Looks like most of the breakage was at the flange??

I seem to recall Roy once saying that he designed them such that they didn't need the flange.....it could be removed and their sound wouldn't change.  I may be wrong on that memory but if it's correct (and I DO notice some of the "horn" itself showing the break)  but if that is correct, then SONICALLY the problem would be the very small part of the horn sides that are broken, the lip itself is disposable (again, if I recall what I heard correctly)

Rewording it, you got 95% of a K402 for whatever the salvage cost was.  Who said it didn't pay to be horny?

:ph34r:

21 minutes ago, Schu said:

I have those in my 'cart' right now... just have to click 'BUY' 😛

I am curious though, the Radian Beryllium are actually 100 bucks cheaper... but the design is different.

Old technology, the Radian is. The Celestion is so far superior in every way, especially the One Octave Plus LOWER response. Lose the cheapskate mentality for this. I had TADs, remember? The Radians are trying to be like TADs, and do a good job, just like using TrueXtent BE 'phrams for JBL 2446, which was my original plan, but the Celestions are the best driver you can get right now. Besides, when you are talking about $30,000+ worth of speakers, from the DIY POV, what 2 grand to handle most of the music anyhow. Cheap and high return. No pun intended.

41 minutes ago, tromprof said:

No sanding yet, I want the glue to cure for few days. Then sand and paint.

what about a wrap... that way you could always change it out if you wanted.

Or are you planning on painting them black?

have you thought about moving them to the front of the bass bin so the two (HF/LF) are more inline?

Something like this...

51640144924_6790efe407_z.jpg

1 hour ago, Schu said:

have you thought about moving them to the front of the bass bin so the two (HF/LF) are more inline?

Something like this...

I like the photo shop!

I have thought of that but am reluctant to remove the K-horn top hats. I am worried something might happen to them.

I am still figuring out painting. I may take them to an auto body shop and get them to do it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Just recently got wind of this. Congrats on your 4 K-402's. They are precious, to say the least. I'm on my third pair and will have them singing at some point in my new studio. Saving up the for Axi 2050 driver. Yamaha crossovers with Digital XLR AES/EBU inputs will be the driving force to a pair of chip amps. What's a Watt to a horn guy, right? Answer: Too frikkin loud, is what's a watt!

I don't know about all that. Over on Audiogon they tell me horns do not sound good.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, tromprof said:

The damaged 402 horn was repaired yesterday. I used JB Weld Plastic Bonder (2 part urethane)  and was pleased with the reult. The scars are quite visible but at some point I will paint it and they should be undetectable.

After a couple of hours of trying to remember how to get my computer to talk to my Ashly 3.6 and running REW I got them setup on my Klipschorns. The K402 sound certainly lives up to the hype!  I sat down and listened to many of my favorite recording well past midnight. Massive sound stage, amazing clarity and detail.  I am one very happy horn head.

IMG_4293.jpg

IMG_4299.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4301.jpg

looks very good higher up , and you can always play the Khorns ---with or without the K402 if you wanted to --

On 10/29/2021 at 3:13 PM, Schu said:

Something like this...

Yes, have an automotive wrap applied. Hundreds of option, might be able close match the bass bin. When you want a new look, peel it off and go again. Once painted you’re pretty much stuck with color.  I’ll try to post pics of mine wrapped in an iridescent blue.