K402 newby setup

tromprof

22 hours ago, mark1101 said:

You could always bolt a 510 assembly to your horns like I did.  That cuts the unused holes to 6.  What's a half dozen holes among friends?

I have to say I have had 402 horns for a really long time and I never looked at the holes.  It's usually somewhat dark in my room.  But I'm not a hole looker I guess.

Quit looking at your horns man, your going to have an audio nervosa breakdown.

The lighting is probably what makes the difference.  In my living room, the main lighting comes from a pair of table lamps, one on each LS2 cabinet, behind each 402 horn, each on the outboard side, i.e. nearest to the side walls.  Since the lighting comes from behind the horns, and the wall behind the horns is a very light colour, everyone who sits in the room becomes an unintentional hole looker.  Having a pair of less bright lights behind the sofa and armchair doesn’t make much difference.

It’s a subtle thing, but one visitor to my room mentioned it, so I wasn’t imagining it, and some other 402 owners on the Forum notice it too.  Mark, your whole system seems to be front-lit, so yeah, your holes, I mean your 402s’ holes, would be harder to see.  And you probably like it that way, right?

• Like 2

This one is such a fun conversation. I had my Jubilee with K402 installed for 8 years so that the right speaker is placed in front of a window. In the evening the bright street lights come on. And the way I ideally sat and listened and the way the Jubilees were ideally oriented, the glare from the streetlight went right through one of the side right holes and bugged me to death. But...I never got the idea to stick a tape. The listening experience was far too exciting for that. It became a game so that I turned my head or sank into the chair to escape the glare. Very funny that these stupid holes became a strong theme here.

• Like 2

On 11/16/2021 at 1:23 PM, KT88 said:

I had my Jubilee with K402 installed for 8 years 

A Pair of klipsch  Jubilees  in Germany must have cost an arm and a leg in shipping costs  across the ocean , I did not even know that these speakers were imported , each pair of Jubes is signed off by the Big Kahunah himself  ,  and I bet there are not too many such HQ  speakers in Europe , let alone in Cologne Germany .

On 11/16/2021 at 10:23 AM, KT88 said:

This one is such a fun conversation. I had my Jubilee with K402 installed for 8 years so that the right speaker is placed in front of a window. In the evening the bright street lights come on. And the way I ideally sat and listened and the way the Jubilees were ideally oriented, the glare from the streetlight went right through one of the side right holes and bugged me to death. But...I never got the idea to stick a tape. The listening experience was far too exciting for that. It became a game so that I turned my head or sank into the chair to escape the glare. Very funny that these stupid holes became a strong theme here.

It is funny.  When we grumble about tiny details like that, you know the sound is generating no dissatisfied whines.  I leave my system powered up all the time now, and just turn the volume way down when I'm done listening for the day.  This protects the electronics from all those on/off power surges, and when I want to hear some music, I just roll up the volume, and everything's fully warmed up and sounding great.  I feel really lucky when I do that.  Every day I'm reminded that, with help from many more knowledgeable Forum members, I've assembled a really fine-sounding stereo.

As for light coming through the flange holes, once I got the idea to put some little squares of black tape on the back sides of the 402 horns, I grabbed the tape from the closet and did it.  The total time from thinking of it, to doing it, to putting the tape back in the closet, was under 5 minutes.  I wish all my minor annoyances could be resolved so quickly and easily.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, RandyH said:

A Pair of klipsch  Jubilees  in Germany must have cost an arm and a leg in shipping costs  across the ocean , I did not even know that these speakers were imported , each pair of Jubes is signed off by the Big Kahunah himself  ,  and I bet there are not too many such HQ  speakers in Europe , let alone in Cologne Germany .

I was very interested in the Jubilees and heard about their existence through this forum where I have been a member since 2006. First I posted about the restoration of my Klipsch Lascala at that time. The focus was on the optics, wood preparation, etc.. At some point I asked in a post how to buy a Jubilee. Someone very nice answered me and gave me the tip to write an email to Roy Delgado. I got his email address via PM. That was in summer of 2008.
I hope I am allowed to write this after 13 years. 
I thought oh, this is a very direct line and I was too shy. But I took heart and I wrote the email though days later. All stars must have been in a very favorable constellation. After 15 minutes! I got an answer from Roy and everything else is history. I still have this mail today and keep it like a precious letter. The Jubilees came via the European headquarters of Klipsch. This minimized all customs and freight costs. So it was a straight purchase and I was stunned. Part of the lucky constellation of stars is that I bought at the time the Euro was at its all time high...$1.60 for 1€. All this together meant that it was (of course) not a small sum but not an arm and a leg. To be honest a new Klipschorn would have cost comparably much in the store in Germany at that time considering the "normal" way via all dealers and intermediate stations. And one can also assume because the Jubilee is an underground speaker no dealer cared as the Jubilee did not exist in Germany. No dealer could have officially said anything about the Jubilee.

So one can say that my little story is about an underground deal of an underground speaker, so to speak. During this time I was suggested by an extremely friendly and cordial Klipsch forum member to join a small Jubilee group to exchange ideas. Based on this in 2009 I also came to Hope to participate in a class with Roy.
It is one of the most positive stories of my hifi life and life in general. That is why I am so grateful to the nice small group of people involved in this story until my last day, and of course Roy first and foremost.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Nice story KT88.

I am in a similar position.

Roy answered to me very soon after I placed a message. I thank him for that. He redirected me to nice guy in Pro dpt. However, covid hit and we are stuck for more than two years now. I am still patiently waiting if situation get better and still have hope that it will resolve to my satisfaction. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2021 at 8:20 PM, Islander said:

Roy assures us that an extended baffle is unneeded when these horns are part of a pair of “underground/original/Pro Theater” Jubilees…

Is this documented anywhere?

I am just about to spend some time with my Mic  and REW Measuring and hearing for myself whether or not the K 402 / TAD combo bolted Back into their KPT305 boxes makes any audible difference Versus mounted in its stand.

I won’t bother if Roy or somebody has already proved that there’s no difference…

Edit:  Actually now I realize those are different questions.  

1. Whether or not an extended baffle beyond the flange of the horn makes any difference / improves the sound.
  2. Whether or not damping of the horn vibrations by mounting it by the flange holes to something makes any difference / improves the sound. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 11/20/2021 at 2:28 PM, KT88 said:

thought oh, this is a very direct line and I was too shy. But I took heart and I wrote the email though days later. All stars must have been in a very favorable constellation. After 15 minutes! I got an answer from Roy and everything else is history. I still have this mail today and keep it like a precious letter.

I still have my letter too.

• Moderators
On 12/29/2021 at 9:49 AM, Delicious2 said:

I am just about to spend some time with my Mic  and REW Measuring and hearing for myself whether or not the K 402 / TAD combo bolted Back into their KPT305 boxes makes any audible difference Versus mounted in its stand.

I won’t bother if Roy or somebody has already proved that there’s no difference…

1. Whether or not an extended baffle beyond the flange of the horn makes any difference / improves the sound.
  2. Whether or not damping of the horn vibrations by mounting it by the flange holes to something makes any difference / improves the sound. 

@Chief bonehead would know, maybe he will see this

• Klipsch Employees
On 12/29/2021 at 9:49 AM, Delicious2 said:

For full length tractrix, it doesn’t make much difference. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1