78 La Scala's in smallish room

Bonzo

Recently, a friend of mine posted some 78 La Scala's with refinished cabinets and re-capped crossovers. All the drivers are stock. I was hesitant due to my room size. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse and is going to deliver them so I pulled the trigger. They arrive tomorrow. My room is a converted one car garage, 22' x 11' with 9' ceiling. I stated to research old posts on La Scala's in smaller rooms and found many had success. I'm just looking for current suggestions on a starting point for placement, maybe room treatments etc. I would like to use the long wall which is where I had my other speakers. It would be a real pain to rearrange the room to use the short wall. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

• Like 2

I usually run my speakers in the short wall. I would try them on the long wall and see how you like them. I have a friend that has 3 La Scalas in a room have the size of yours and they sound great. You are going to love them!

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice!

I sit 8’ away from my LSI splits which are about 8’ from each other. I guess you would call it a near field equilateral trainagle.

The real game changer is the distance from the back wall. I find 2’ to be a minimum. The soundstage goes deep.

And as others have noted, nothing in-between your speakers. It kills imaging.

In a quiet setting an unheard of 70db is engaging.

A tight sub will put the cherry on top.

• Like 2

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input! I do have an older bottom firing 12" Klipsch sub with large rear port, forget the model number. It has served me well and I'm sure it will help. I'm waiting for my new preamp to arrive, a NAD C-165 BEE. Current preamp is a mostly restored Tandberg 3002 A. Nice sounding pre but, no remote. Digital is a Marantz SA8005 for CD and my Apple devices. Turntable is my trusty, dusty Pioneer PL-400 which still sings. It has needed work however. Power amp is a Parasound 2250 v2 which I have used with other horns including RF-7II's. I think it will be a good fit with the LS'. Fixed up some 16 gauge speaker wire today with spades and a touch of solder. Can't wait until tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 4

I'm inclined to agree with Shakeydeal. If the OP follows the suggestion to move the LaScala's two feet from the long dimension back wall, he'll be sitting very close to the speakers. While there may be less speaker separation if placed along the narrow wall, he'll have plenty of space to move them away from that short wall while sitting a good distance from them. I'd suggest putting the speakers on dollies during testing to make them easy to move around, then remove the dollies once you're happy.

15 hours ago, Bonzo said:

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input! I do have an older bottom firing 12" Klipsch sub with large rear port, forget the model number. It has served me well and I'm sure it will help. I'm waiting for my new preamp to arrive, a NAD C-165 BEE. Current preamp is a mostly restored Tandberg 3002 A. Nice sounding pre but, no remote. Digital is a Marantz SA8005 for CD and my Apple devices. Turntable is my trusty, dusty Pioneer PL-400 which still sings. It has needed work however. Power amp is a Parasound 2250 v2 which I have used with other horns including RF-7II's. I think it will be a good fit with the LS'. Fixed up some 16 gauge speaker wire today with spades and a touch of solder. Can't wait until tomorrow afternoon.

I think you'll really enjoy them! I've always liked Parasound amps and I still use an older NAD preamp sometimes. Those older Pioneer turntables are nice also. Sounds like you'll have a great setup! Keep us updated

WELL, to quote the late, great Gilda Radner as Emily Litella, NEVERMIND! Turns out the people my friend had redo the veneer were not very skilled. When he pulled the tarps off of them this morning, he found there were several ripples on some of the edges and other issues. Maybe he shouldn't have kept them in garage? Consequently, the deal is off, at least for now. 

I want to thank everyone for your replies and helpful information. Very sorry for the false alarm!

52 minutes ago, Bonzo said:

WELL, to quote the late, great Gilda Radner as Emily Litella, NEVERMIND! Turns out the people my friend had redo the veneer were not very skilled. When he pulled the tarps off of them this morning, he found there were several ripples on some of the edges and other issues. Maybe he shouldn't have kept them in garage? Consequently, the deal is off, at least for now. 

I want to thank everyone for your replies and helpful information. Very sorry for the false alarm!

the 78 Lascala were not veneered , so the speakers have new veneer -

try and post the pictures of the veneer job  ,  let's see what was done --if  there's a simple fix , we'll tell you what to do -if there isn't , you'll know 

I don't know the negotiated price but I wouldn't blow the deal because of cosmetic issues. I have 1977 LaScalas for 22 years and I love them, I know many speakers over many years and I can compare. Your 1978 LaScala are not offered on every corner, even in your beautiful country. I would take it and then cosmetically rework it. As others say a few photos are very helpful. Maybe you can reconsider your decision. Maybe you like the original look of the birch plywood, much nicer than bad and non-original veneer. Removing the veneer could be done by a carpenter, he can just sand it off. Are the areas of the dog house also veneered? This means some manual work but the result is worth it.

This might be a good way to get them at a great discount.  Worth checking!  Mine were quite "chippy" on the edges from years of sitting in a hot choir loft.  Unless there are structural issues I wouldn't worry about it if everything else is good and you get a good price.

On 10/23/2021 at 7:28 PM, Bonzo said:

I am giving it some more thought but they were at the top of my budget and I really don't want a project at this time. There is also another alternative that may happen.

Like to have options. Good fortune.