What are you using for a preamplifier

jason str

6 hours ago, SWL said:

A friend of mine had that Parasound and let me borrow it to check it out. It's a nice preamp.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

You can get a gently used Yamaha Pre Pro, the CX-A5000 for less than $1,000 on Ebay or PM me for a price on my spare unit.

Yes, it's an 11 channel HT device...............BUT.........I use mine for 2.1

It has Phono Input, USB Thumb Drive input, tough to beat ESS Sabre DAC chips, a bazillion HDMI's and RCA inputs, 2 SUB Outs, XLR Connections aon all inputs as well as RCA, a great Remote and the icing on the cake is YPAO Room correction, and a PURE Audio mode to bypass all the digital stuff. Just don't use the other 9 channels. It's very reliable too, not like Onkyos, which are the worst.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

Not sure what that means, so I guess you don’t want my input.

Not at all, just need things working. All input is appreciated. As much as I would like to just buy what I want it's just not happening. $1500 is about it.

8 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

There is an Audible Illusions preamp on US Audiomart if you need phono and don’t have to have a remote. Not many better values out there than that.

If you just want a Line Stage, there are two Tortuga LDR preamps on audiomart, excellent piece as well.

I'd be leery of buying a "boutique" product vs. getting a name brand from Japan with DECADES of success, and lots of reliability in their track record in the Pro and Home worlds.

8 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

I'd be leery of buying a "boutique" product vs. getting a name brand from Japan with DECADES of success, and lots of reliability in their track record in the Pro and Home worlds.

You can call AI “boutique” if you like, but they have been around for almost 30 years. And Tortuga has some of the best customer service out there. 

If one cares for sonics, the choice becomes easier. If not, go for the midfi stuff. 

26 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

You can call AI “boutique” if you like, but they have been around for almost 30 years. And Tortuga has some of the best customer service out there. 

If one cares for sonics, the choice becomes easier. If not, go for the midfi stuff. 

I don't do anything "mid fi" which is a BS term anyhow. That term started by the overpriced products that require a review from Stereophile or a room at a Chicago Hotel by Axpona. This includes the likes of dealers who sell these products that are here today, gone tomorrow and have often called Klipsch Speakers "mid fi." Do you not own Cornwall IV's? Would you call those "mid fi?" 

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

You can get a gently used Yamaha Pre Pro, the CX-A5000 for less than $1,000 on Ebay or PM me for a price on my spare unit.

Yes, it's an 11 channel HT device...............BUT.........I use mine for 2.1

It has Phono Input, USB Thumb Drive input, tough to beat ESS Sabre DAC chips, a bazillion HDMI's and RCA inputs, 2 SUB Outs, XLR Connections aon all inputs as well as RCA, a great Remote and the icing on the cake is YPAO Room correction, and a PURE Audio mode to bypass all the digital stuff. Just don't use the other 9 channels. It's very reliable too, not like Onkyos, which are the worst.

Forgot to mention, it will play SA CD's in 5.1 or 2.1. The XLR outputs can put out up to 8 volts, which is pro level stuff, but the each output also has RCA, which is 2 Volts. Using XLR give you better Signal to Noise ratios in combination with front end gain control Potentiometers on your Power Amp.

You don't know how much music your are not hearing until you have used YPAO with a single microphone reading at the sweet spot. It will even take out the 140 Hz. peak in a LaScala and smooth everything out while choosing the perfect Crossover Point to your Sub. You'll never go back after that sonic bliss, I assure you.

• Like 1

Well since the question was posed, my last preamp was a Don Sachs Model 2 which was an excellent piece.  Currently I’m using an Allnic T-2000 integrated amp which I like a lot. If I go back to separates at some point I will likely buy another LDR or a TVC since I’ll likely have no use for the extra gain.

• Like 1