What are you using for a preamplifier

jason str

24 minutes ago, sunnysal said:

I use a refreshed Marantz 7T, love its flexibility and great sound.  depending on your budget, the rest of your system and deasired feature set, you might consider a vintage piece.  more info helps people give you better advice.  T

Already tried the used route. Never again after my experience.

Probably going with the Parasound P6, need to save a bit more$$$

• 2 weeks later...

I just set up my new (NIB) Zesto Leto preamp.  Sure, its sexy as hell....but the really beauty is in its sound and features.   The rear panel is absolutely what sold me on it.   Two pair of RCA out and 2 pair of XLR out.  HT bypass when off, ground lift for each channel.  

Blown away by some very familiar tracks.   Awesome dynamic range , best bass  I've ever experienced at home.   Amazing sounding component.   

• Thanks 1

On 10/23/2021 at 7:20 PM, dtr20 said:

I love my Parasound p6

Me too. I use one of the sub channels with the low pass filter defeated to feed a center Heresy III between Khorns. There is a volume control on the front and so it makes it easy to balance the center channel. I like having optical and usb feeding the DA converter. This makes consumer quality bluetooth a $30 plug in (as well as bypassing an vintage DA converter in a Tascam CD player - its just a transport now.

I also have the Marantz 7t and it has a center channel out but the volume control is on the back. The Marantz is much nicer to touch and interact with - the big aluminum tone knobs are smartly indexed, the big switches have long throws and make a satisfying stop. The P6, in contrast has tiny knobs and recessed lights that make the whole thing a bit fiddly.  It is difficult to see at a glance if someone else in the house has been messing with the balance control. The volume knob on the P6 is as satisfying as the Marantz's but needs to be spun a few times to do what the 7t can do in an eighth of a turn. 

The phono input seems just fine - someday I'll demo an outboard unit to be sure, but good pressings sound great. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, rjw1678 said:

I use a Schiit Freya S preamp. It replaced a McIntosh C2500 and the Freya S was a noticeable improvement in sound quality. I have about 100 hours on the Freya S and the sound quality has opened up nicely. The Freya S is the solid state version of the Freya +.

https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-s

I was just looking at that.

The Parasound has many unneeded features. Maybe a selfish Xmas gift.

I was looking at that Parasound P6, too, for awhile as it does do many things and maybe more that I need. I sold my Onkyo Reference gear and am back to using my tried and true, fully rebuilt Carver C-1 preamp, with added volume and mute controls along with my modified Carver M-1.0t amp.  The combo sounds great on the CF-3's and I just got a Topping D10S USB DAC which made a huge difference in sound....along with dropping Amazon Music HD and going with Qobuz. Lol.

I just decided I didn't need all the inputs since I mainly stream anymore.  We occasionally watch a movie using the Firestick tied to the TV and I have optical out going to a basic Fiio DAC for that which works good....same goes for my PS3 and another Fiio DAC.

Not that you cared to read all of that. ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
16 hours ago, seattlemagpies said:

Jason STR, not directly related to this topic, I'm desperately seeking information on the Wright WPL 20.  I've got one without the power supply and am looking for info that will allow me to build on...voltage specs, components, detailed pics, anything.

Would hate to see this get trashed.

Can't help you there. I suggest the tube or solid state links.

The preamp has to wait. Crap keeps breaking and now the roof is messed up. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am a firm believer that no preamplifier is the best. I realize that this won't for many of you, but if you are an all digital guy as I am, I feel that this is the best choice.   Currently using an RME ADI-2FS DAC.  It has PLENTY of gain to drive any amp that I have paired it with and it has many trick features including autobiasing SNR based on volume level.  Love this DAC for what I paid.  Best I have owned thus far. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1