Anyone try laying a KG3 on its side as a center channel with floor-standers from the same era?

chuckears

These pop up used for a decent price every now and then, and they appear to be similar to an Academy, but with a lower extension (and the obviously different driver layout on the motorboard).

Our aging ears are wanting something a little more robust, and since the Forte mains aren't going away any time soon, I'm wondering how this would work in our modest living room setup... bear in mind there is a limited height allowance available, so another floor-stander is a non-starter.

I´m not sure, but will this work with the dispersion of the horn (horizontal vs. vertikal)? What i mean is, these were designed to be used in horizontal position, no? I know on some of the Reference & Reference Premiere lines horns could be turned to allow laying a speaker on its side.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you're feeling like throwing some sawdust, you can always make up a new motorboard and re-orient things like I did with my custom KG5.5 center channel.

You can at least correct for the horn orientation and the woofers being off to one side this way.

blue72_kg55_grill_off.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, blue72 said:

If you're feeling like throwing some sawdust, you can always make up a new motorboard and re-orient things like I did with my custom KG5.5 center channel.

You can at least correct for the horn orientation and the woofers being off to one side this way.

blue72_kg55_grill_off.jpeg

That looks awesome, great job! I hope it sounds as good as it looks!

I had a KG4 on it's side in my former all KG series living room setup, and now have a Herersy on it's side in my all Heresy setup. Sideways works fine, esp. for the center channel. That is with LR aprox 14-15 feet apart and the center elevated above tthe TV. YMMV