Heading to L.A.

The Dude

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

2 things on my bucket list are surfing and having the ability to lift weights out on Venice beach..

BIG ADVICE in LA  ,  carry the minimum -  it's a beautiful place , but it's also a crime city -

-  inside  the Airport ,  keep an eye  at all times on bags/ laptops  ,  1 minute unseen  and they' re  gone .

• Like 2

You guys are harsh, lol.  Go ahead,  trash my state, see if I care.😀  John Wayne airport is actually fairly nice,  with a big bronze statue of the man himself out front.  It will take at least 5 minutes before someone steals your schiit, left unattended.    Whatever stench one may find at Venice beach, is quickly carried away by the warm ocean breeze.   

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Shiva said:

You guys are harsh, lol.  Go ahead,  trash my state, see if I care.😀  John Wayne airport is actually fairly nice,  with a big bronze statue of the man himself out front.  It will take at least 5 minutes before someone steals your schiit, left unattended.    Whatever stench one may find at Venice beach, is quickly carried away by the warm ocean breeze.   

California is a beautiful state, but each state has its good and bad. I live 30 minutes (rural, but not too rural) from a big city away from the craziness. Love it. 

• Like 1

I lived in the Los Angeles area (off and on, but mainly on) for more than 40 years. I moved to Texas in the spring of 2020 after it became obvious it was going to remain "shut-down" for a very long time. It's still under some version of shut-down as far as I know. In the last 5 years the number of homeless people jumped up exponentially and as you might expect so did crime. I observed the changes and it was definitely one for the worse. Many parts of town that used to be clean, crime free areas are now filthy with way too many crazed homeless people. There are people living on the streets, under freeway overpasses and in their cars all over the place. It's not the same city it used to be... 

51 minutes ago, jason str said:

It's beautiful and memorable. As a child the whole family took the LTD wagon to visit family in Coos Bay Oregon and drove down the coast. Remember driving through the giant Sequoia, that twisty road in San Francisco I believe. Good memories.

I prefer to remember California in better times such as playing in the Kern river and trips to some of the remote dry lake beds. 

YsUD773.jpg

qKCXVHX.jpg

• Like 2

Spent my days with a woman unkind
Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine
Made up my mind, make a new start
Goin' to California with an achin' in my heart
Someone told me there's a girl out there
With love in her eyes and flowers in her hair

• Like 4

I don't view Los Angeles as any more dangerous than most places that I've lived. Over 50 years in the greater Los Angeles area ... twice my car was broken into (the only thing stolen was a machete and yes, I had to explain to the cops why I had a machete and a sawed off baseball bat behind the seat of my car.  I told him "I'm from Oakland." He said he understood; but stuff like that make cops nervous). Only one encounter with a group of lawless individuals too and even that was decades ago. I've found it easy to mind my own business. I know where the trouble generally is and stay away from those area. Plus I have a good sense of when any situation is going in the wrong direction so I've been able to leave safely before anything gets too wild. 

there aren't shootouts on every corner like some think. 

you just have to be aware, be observant, and don't look at anyone too long.  If you can mind your own business, chances are you're going to be fine. 

I admit, I have made a wrong turn and ended up in an area that I knew were dangerous; but sticking to the main streets is advisable for a person unfamiliar with the area. 

• Like 1