New Forte lll owner, new member

CWelsh

Greetings all!

I recently purchased a pair of Forte llls, and these are the first Klipsch speakers I’ve ever owned. I’m also new to the forum, so I guess that makes me a triple newbie. I’m here to discuss and learn and look forward to both as a new member.

A few months ago, my wife and I lost our home to a fire, and we are in the process of rebuilding. For the next few months, we are living in an apartment which isn’t the ideal environment for the Fortes, but I’m enjoying them none the less. I’m powering them with an upgraded Marantz 1060 and have an Oppo Digital CD/DVD player and a Fluance turntable that I haven’t been able to hook up yet.

When rebuilt, my listening room will be approximately 6,000 cubic feet and should give the Fortes an opportunity to really shine. When I auditioned them in the store, they were being driven by an upgraded 125 wpc Adcom fronted by a cheap receiver (the store owner’s description). I was totally blown away by how detailed and live they sounded even at a very moderate volume. I don’t typically listen to my music loud, but I do love detail and a great soundstage. Even in the apartment, I’m getting some of that with the 1060, but not like I did in the larger listening room at the store with a more powerful amp.

I don’t anticipate making any equipment changes before I’ve had a chance to hear what everything I currently have will do in my home, but I’m going to enjoy following the forums to learn what others have learned and done. The journey is just beginning. I look forward to being part of the community.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWelsh said:

When rebuilt, my listening room will be approximately 6,000 cubic feet

Welcome to the Forum -

if your ceilings are 10 feet high , that should translate into a 600 square foot room , which is huge for a Pair of Forte II  , and  either a Chorus or a Cornwall would be ideal  , The Chorus II is basically a bigger Forte II , I added the Forte II and the Chorus II brochures for you to view 

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/Chorus-II-brochure.pdf

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/forte-II-brochure.pdf

33 minutes ago, Peter P. said:

My opinion is to ignore the electronics; the room makes the biggest impact on sound.

While I agree with the last part of that statement, I disagree with the first. Yes, the room plays a huge impact on the sound, but ignore the supporting equipment at your own peril. What you put in front of the speakers is very important too. But also cables and tweaks like vibration control can have an impact on the sound, but those should of course take a back seat to getting all the other things right first.

That is a pretty big room for Fortes. All you can do is try them. But I also think you will want something bigger with more output if you listen at spirited levels.

Shakey

6 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

Welcome to the Forum -

if your ceilings are 10 feet high , that should translate into a 600 square foot room , which is huge for a Pair of Forte II  , and  either a Chorus or a Cornwall would be ideal  , The Chorus II is basically a bigger Forte II , I added the Forte II and the Chorus II brochures for you to view 

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/Chorus-II-brochure.pdf

http://assets.klipsch.com/product-specsheets/forte-II-brochure.pdf

Thanks for the welcome.

My listening room is my basement family room. It's 650 sq. ft with 9 ft. ceilings.  But, that is the total room. The area where I will actually listen is more like 3,000 cu. ft., but is not closed off. I did listen to the Cornwalls at the dealer, but they were a lot more money than I felt I could spend.

The apartment we're in right now actually has more total volume than the family room will have, and the Fortes get very loud if I turn the volume on the 1060 past about a 10 o'clock position. Unfortunately, the apartment is all hard surfaces and bad furniture placement that can't really be helped. As you might imagine, I'm anxious to get back into my own home.

8 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

Welcome and….  “Wow” a 6,000 cubic foot listening room should make things interesting..🙂.  Be sure and post pictures if you like when your ready.

I look forward to posting pic

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CWelsh said:

Thanks for the welcome.

My listening room is my basement family room. It's 650 sq. ft with 9 ft. ceilings.  But, that is the total room. The area where I will actually listen is more like 3,000 cu. ft., but is not closed off. I did listen to the Cornwalls at the dealer, but they were a lot more money than I felt I could spend.

The apartment we're in right now actually has more total volume than the family room will have, and the Fortes get very loud if I turn the volume on the 1060 past about a 10 o'clock position. Unfortunately, the apartment is all hard surfaces and bad furniture placement that can't really be helped. As you might imagine, I'm anxious to get back into my own home.

I look forward to posting pic

Mr Welsch , we are all happy to hear that you will be going back home , after such a tragedy , I am sure the Forte II will be fine based on your description ,  as far as buying speakers , I would tell you that quite a few forum members buy second hand speakers at very low prices on the GARAGE SALE section of the forum , and no , you do not have to spend but a few hundred dollars for Forte speakers and up to 1k$ to 1500$  or so for an older pair of Cornwalls -  Regards

23 hours ago, Brian Tambe said:

First of all he said he purchased Forte III’s NOT II’s , big difference in sound 

You are correct. My new speakers are Forte lll. Even in the apartment with a far less than ideal set up, I smile every time I listen to them.

• Like 1