Tweeter for the newest La Scala

jason str

Klipsch has policy on selling proprietary parts. They may only sell these to registered AL5 owners as a replacement.  Someday they may offer a complete upgrade. But been a while since seeing these kits. 

The Well documented B&C DE120 is a drop in replacement. The Citation driver now used by Klipsch (reported by people who have seen them) may require crossover adjustments. 

Crites and DaveA sell horns with these drivers. Installing them made a huge upgrade in my LSII. The new ones used by Klipsch might be even better though.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Moderators
On 10/27/2021 at 9:53 AM, jason str said:

Does Klipsch offer this as a drop in replacement for the older models and if so what is the minimum frequency and slope in order not to burn them up.

It's not going to get you there. It's a neo driver with a wide dispersion modified tractrix horn. You would also need the new AL5 network to make it all work. 

Roy indicated that, at least initially, upgrade kits would not be available for either the AL5 or the AK6 (same issues).  That may have changed, and Cory would probably know.

Travis

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, jason str said:

Future plans calls for no crossover networks Travis but thank you for your response.

I was just looking for basic information.

The basic information is this, they don[t offer them as a drop in replacement.

Why? Well, that tweeter and horn were part of a major upgrade to the LS, deemed the LS5. You can get the tweeters, you can put them on, and it will suck. 

I only know this from the class in 2019. These are not interchangeable parts. You can't swap these out. Someone like Tn Mike, JWC, Mark 13 can explain it much better than I can, but it was clear from the class that that the horn lens and tweeter combo got rid of a lot of the beaming, you couldn't localize the speakers. All of that is part of an integrated design and a lot of work was done on the crossover to make the tweeter/horn work with the midrange. 

That's why they are not offered as a drop in replacement from Klipsch.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Travis In Austin said:

The basic information is this, they don[t offer them as a drop in replacement.

Why? Well, that tweeter and horn were part of a major upgrade to the LS, deemed the LS5. You can get the tweeters, you can put them on, and it will suck. 

I only know this from the class in 2019. These are not interchangeable parts. You can't swap these out. Someone like Tn Mike, JWC, Mark 13 can explain it much better than I can, but it was clear from the class that that the horn lens and tweeter combo got rid of a lot of the beaming, you couldn't localize the speakers. All of that is part of an integrated design and a lot of work was done on the crossover to make the tweeter/horn work with the midrange. 

That's why they are not offered as a drop in replacement from Klipsch.

Appreciate that, long story short I will rule them out as an option.

1 hour ago, jason str said:

Appreciate that, long story short I will rule them out as an option.

the Tweeter is  the Celestion CDX07-1075  Neo magnet ----klipsch add their  lens /phase plug........  problem is , it's only sold for OEM's with  a  large quantity order

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RandyH001 said:

the Tweeter is  the Celestion CDX07-1075  Neo magnet ----klipsch add their  lens /phase plug........  problem is , it's only sold for OEM's with  a  large quantity order

Have a second hand pair of Crites tweets, motor hits the top of the cabinet so I slightly angled the lens install.

May brick wall the K77s if I can find good diaphragms.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jason str said:

Have a second hand pair of Crites tweets, motor hits the top of the cabinet so I slightly angled the lens install.

The CT-120 have a small neo-magnet and should fit easily they are the best sounding tweeter that I have heard in that size.

• Thanks 1

On 11/3/2021 at 8:57 PM, jason str said:

They fit mine with a little (very little) room to spare. I'm sure the newer builds from Klipsch are more precise.

Mine were '89s. What year are yours?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Marvel said:

They fit mine with a little (very little) room to spare. I'm sure the newer builds from Klipsch are more precise.

Mine were '89s. What year are yours?

Late 70's Lazer badges.

They work fine but it bugs me knowing they're off angle a bit.