Ok, so I got a pair of K Horns, what's eveyone running amp wise?

drewogatory

My old set up was K Horns or La Scalas and a Mac 275.  I'll probably go that way again, but can be persuaded different, it's almost too much amp IMO for KHs. I never set out to buy horns, I just wanted a set of cornwalls + a tube amp for a dedicated vinyl rig. But, our new house has 3 good corners in the LR, so horns it is.  My current LR rig is a Jeff Rowland Concentra II thru Paradigm S8s, and I'll shift that into the music cave. More amp than the horns need (but less than the S8s like I think), and I was looking to set up a dedicated vinyl rig anyway. 40 watts should be plenty for my needs. What say you guys? I'd imagine a 275 plus a preamp will put me at 5K easy, more like 7 probably. I'd like to stay around 5 and am not adverse to integrated. Prefer balanced in/out, but it's not a deal killer.

Hi,

Perhaps you should attend the upcoming Capital Area Audiofest in DC in early November.  You can hear a wide variety of good equipment

For example, They have exhibited OTL amps in the past, which can complement K's very nicely. They certainly do in my case (see my avatar).

-Larry

• Like 1

I once had a pair of his SE-OTL amps so I could bridge them.  Of the variety amps I had (many tube from these up to McIntosh MC-2102)  My wife always stopped to listen when these were playing "it sounds so REAL......."

Wish I could have had more power (I bridgted them to 4 watts each)  out they had to go.  I still miss those of all I h ad.

40 into 8 now, so 25ish into 4 I'd guess. Should be plenty. I'm sure I'll get another MC275 at some point, but it would purely be for nostalgia. My Rowland is pretty amazing for a SS integrated, but a conservative 150 is wasted on KHorns. It actually runs my S8s ok, but 6 drivers a side would probably benefit from another 100 per. But,you know, I'm 55 now, this is all nostalgia considering my hearing.

8 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I’m running 100 tube watts into LaScalas and most would think it’s a waste, and it is. But the amp sounds so damn good I hate to let it go.

nothing wrong with Headroom ,  since distortion is actually  lower

1 hour ago, drewogatory said:

LOL, I have a mess of blown mids and tweeters that say headroom is nice if you have responsible roommates. That Carver could rip speakers apart if you weren't careful.

Well I've blown one of those silly 5 watt tweeters but blow a K55 Mid? That's "too damn loud" as the old man used to say:)

On 10/28/2021 at 4:06 PM, drewogatory said:

Well, I ordered a set of Transcendent monoblocks. Should be a fun build and cheap enough I can move on with no regret in case my building skills aren't what they used to be.

These???

https://www.transcendentsound.com/beast-jr.html

Yummy and plenty for what you are looking for...Bruce builds really really good stuff 🍻

1 hour ago, MyOwn said:

These???

https://www.transcendentsound.com/beast-jr.html

Yummy and plenty for what you are looking for...Bruce builds really really good stuff 🍻

Yep, and his pre-amp. Figured it would be plenty, but nice to know. My BIL has been isolating since the lockdown, but I figure this project will get him involved. And for folks that don't remember, those Carvers were something stupid like 350 into 8 and 1000 bridged mono. rack mount and all, but he put a fan in the PA version which the home version needed badly.

Edited by drewogatory
  • Like 1