I've been promoted!

Foxman

I’ve never liked turkey if I’m honest. A lot of Thanksgivings', I don't eat any of it at all. The closest I come to tolerating it is the dark meat. I decided to get a turkey breast, (bone-in) and followed Jeremy Yoder’s (Mad Scientist BBQ) recipe injecting the breast with butter mixed with ancho chili powder and chipotle chili powder. Smoked at 200 for 2 hours, then 325 till it hit 165 IT, roughly another 1.5-2hrs. Just salt and pepper for the rub. Smoked with Pecan. Oh.... my.... goodness. By far, the best turkey I’ve ever had. I think I can eat turkey after all. Annnnnd, my father-in-law is handing over the reigns to me to provide the bird for Thanksgiving. I gave him a sample and I think he gave me the biggest compliment he ever has given me when he said it was the best turkey he's ever had. (He is a man who doesn't normally throw rainbow bouquets around.)

Link to video if anyone is interested: 

Turkey 1.jpg

Turkey 2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've smoke our Thanksgiving turkey for the last 6 years or so and before that, it was the deep fry method.  But, now I smoke them and do the "spatchcock" method which cooks everything way more evenly and takes far less time.  Always a hit for those who love turkey.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Schu said:

OMG... that looks amazing!

I need to show that to the old lady so she can cook it for me. misogyny be damned.

I watched the episode that has this recipe...Pattie skipped this part...

In a pot with salted boiling water, cook the potatoes and the carrots for 15 to 20 minutes, until tender. Drain and reserve.

Her explanation is in the comments...

This recipe sounds very good. I am wondering, however, about the step to cook carrots and potatoes separately until tender. The following steps include cooking the brisket after it is sliced and covered with the sauce for an additional hour in 30 minute increments. What does the additional hour of cooking time do to the vegetables that have been tenderized?

I look forward to your response.

Thank you for an authentic, informative and enjoyable cooking show.

1. 64878370aa78aa54960ca48d8d63c2b1?s=56&d=

Pati Jinich

May 24

Oh it helps to make sure the carrots and potatoes are cooked, but you can cook them just with the sauce as well, Caroline. Enjoy!