Love the sound of vinyl?

wetowne

Silly thing, but not as wacky as some of the special effects and takes on sounds that exist on vinyl  Songs deliberately recorded in mono of stereo albums, mikes on 80's music that make the singer sound like she's in a speak easy in the 1920's.  One of my favorites is car noises. Engines rumbling, brakes squeaking, vocals sounding like they are coming out of your car radio. I could go on and on.

• Haha 1

I threw all my vinyl in a dumpster in 1983. No regrets. I ripped all my compact discs to flac in 2020, once again, no regrets. I don't use anything that spins.(not entirely true. I have a cd player for when the internet is down, which is hardly ever.) Too much effort involved. I just tap on a screen now. Life is good.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wetowne said:

I threw all my vinyl in a dumpster in 1983. No regrets. I ripped all my compact discs to flac in 2020, once again, no regrets. I don't use anything that spins. Too much effort involved. I just tap on a screen now. Life is good.

I'm just the opposite.  Three turntables, three R2Rs, many hundred LPs and CDs and yes streaming too.  The Sugar Cube takes care of the pops and tics with no loss of musical content.  Love the involvement with my media and watching those big reels spin. 

• Like 3

I do miss tape to a degree. I had a NAD 6050C back in the day that was pretty good. Chrome tape with Dolby sounded OK. I used to record a lot of my vinyl onto cassettes.

The two things about vinyl I hate is noise and the hassle. I will admit vinyl can sound superb. I had a few direct to disk pressings that sounded amazing, pure analog is closest to reality. But overall, no.

Digital sources have really come up in SQ over the last 10 years. 
I think you will can have vinyl trounce all media, but you need quite a few $$ to do so. 
whereas with digital, the investment to get top end SQ is competitively lower. 
$3-5k gets you in the top end of digital reproduction (assuming the files are top quality) 

IMO you need to drop well over $10k to trounce that in a TT whole setup. (Table, needle, pre etc)

1 hour ago, Joecoulson said:

Digital sources have really come up in SQ over the last 10 years. 
I think you will can have vinyl trounce all media, but you need quite a few $$ to do so. 
whereas with digital, the investment to get top end SQ is competitively lower. 
$3-5k gets you in the top end of digital reproduction (assuming the files are top quality) 

IMO you need to drop well over $10k to trounce that in a TT whole setup. (Table, needle, pre etc)

Sounds like a good reason to mortgage the house to me.

• Like 1

Vinyl still has a life in my opinion.

Pops and clicks are inevitable but can be kept under control. Bad source will always be a bad source.

A lot of negative opinion regarding LPs is connected with having heard bad or bellow average systems.

Nothing new saying that vinyl require some involvement. When I first heard my 40 years old Philips GA 212 with NOS stylus connected directly to Onkyo stereo receiver phono input I was very disappointed. After that introduced was a good phono amplifier in between the two. Much better. Than Installed Ortofon 2M red cartridge. Better, but after a few months I have realized that alignment was not perfect. After realigning the cartridge by myself I believe I have reached the reasonable sonic output of this setup. It is decent but my ears told me the sound could be further improved.

Decided that I wont quit on vinyl and I purchased decent turntable with a decent MC cartridge, aligned by the technicians in the factory. Everything else remained the same.

Again good amount of improvement. I feel no need for much improvements after this, but of course there is room for that in the future.

To put things in perspective, this vinyl setup can be compared with good digital setup and at the same time tick all the boxes that I like in vinyl.

• Like 1