Love the sound of vinyl?

wetowne

Outta the sleeve for me!  Toss it on the table and crank it up if I feel like it.  My first album was a commercial Tommy Dorsey lp I got from a couple guys that opened a gas station near me.  At 12 or so I was all over the hood on my bike putting flyers under windshield wipers announcing their grand opening.  Got all 3 that they offered.  Even stuck a speaker on the front porch for Christmas carols for the neighbors til that got nixed.  lol  DJ'd in high school and put every penny of that $25 into lp's and tucked them away.  NOTHING will ever change me because nothing has a better sound than vinyl imo.  Still buying today 60 yeas later.  I don't see anything changing soon.  It's all personal preference imo and I'm VERY comfy right now.  :) 

• Like 5

On 10/30/2021 at 10:45 AM, wetowne said:

I threw all my vinyl in a dumpster in 1983. No regrets. I ripped all my compact discs to flac in 2020, once again, no regrets. I don't use anything that spins.(not entirely true. I have a cd player for when the internet is down, which is hardly ever.) Too much effort involved. I just tap on a screen now. Life is good.

I never threw my CD collection away and I'm glad. Redicovering it with a nice CEC transport and tube DAC. Have TIDAL Hi-Fi and also buying very specific records that are not available otherwise. My new Technics SL1210 GR player is totally silent.

Edited by VNC Studio
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, VNC Studio said:

I never threw my CD collection away and I'm glad.

I still have my cd collection. I consider it to be archival. I've got a half way decent cd player that I run into a good DAC that gets used every so often. But for me streaming is the way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2021 at 7:20 AM, Joecoulson said:

Digital sources have really come up in SQ over the last 10 years. 
I think you will can have vinyl trounce all media, but you need quite a few $$ to do so. 
whereas with digital, the investment to get top end SQ is competitively lower. 
$3-5k gets you in the top end of digital reproduction (assuming the files are top quality) 

IMO you need to drop well over $10k to trounce that in a TT whole setup. (Table, needle, pre etc)

How long does vinyl last before it goes in the dumpster?

I finally decided to get a vintage TT. It´s a Dual 1218, it needs a lot of work, looking forward to a new experience. I know CDs are better, technically, still, it will be interesting to compare Albums on LP and CD as i plan to buy some doubles.

• Like 1

Last year.....or maybe it was the year before.....I was ready to put together a vinyl rig in addition to digital and enjoy both.

When it came down to it, I thought about all the money I've spent over the years on this hobby and how much potential money I would spend on a decent vinyl rig and decided to just stick with digital. Digital has come a long way and IMO is very impressive.

Next move might be to get a cheap TT and one nice shiny record and just let it spin and enjoy the nostalgia of looking at it while listening to my digital music. Less money, maintenance, pops and clicks.....

....or not. [emoji39]

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have Linda Ronstadt's Heart Like a Wheel on vinyl and the seamless segue from When Will I Be Loved to Willin' has always been magic to me. I haven't found that same segue on any other medium. That probably isn't a very rational justification for owning a turntable and keeping a bunch of vinyl, but I'm old enough and have enough money that I can get away with it. Not the worst reasoning...LOL

• Like 2