1975 Heresy I -- WOW!

jcn3

I thought I would share . . . . I'm the proud new owner of a pair of beautiful 1975 Heresy I (thank you NancyW).  The speakers have clearly been babied their whole life as they're in wonderful condition -- only a handful of insignificant scratches/marks.

One newbie question I have is:  What's the best way to remove the back panel?  I removed the screws except for one (left halfway in) and pulled on it.  The panel didn't budge . . .

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by jcn3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Those look very, very nice.  Congrats.  Get a stiff PLASTIC paint scraper and insert in the bottom side area, gently.  They will come off eventually.  You could also put a screw partially in the panel on the top right and bottom left, and wiggle it back and forth.  Be patient.

@jimjimbo -- thanks for the quick reply.  i guess a trip to the hardware store is in order!

i'm anxious to get inside them -- i'm expecting them to be completely original.  

also a bit impatient to hook them up -- will need to get some spades that fit so i can hear them (i only have cables with bananas or spades too large for the terminal strip).

oh -- the owner also had the original manual.

34 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

I removed the screws except for one (left halfway in) and pulled on it.  The panel didn't budge . .

The wood surfaces stick together over the years -

any wide flat cooking metal spatula will do -there's a lot of room on the sides - place the spatula at the center of the left side - slowly does it

once the panel moves , loosen by pulling towards you -you can do that on both sides, top or bottom , it does not really matter ---whichever works the best for you -or wherever you have more room to work with -

15 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

@jimjimbo -- thanks for the quick reply.  i guess a trip to the hardware store is in order!

i'm anxious to get inside them -- i'm expecting them to be completely original.  

also a bit impatient to hook them up -- will need to get some spades that fit so i can hear them (i only have cables with bananas or spades too large for the terminal strip).

oh -- the owner also had the original manual.

Feel free to PM me.  Happy to help.

@jimjimbo and @RandyH001 -- thanks for the quick replies.

the fit of the backs was such that it was impossible to get into either the top or the bottom.  so did the sides!  went gently up and down one side and then gently up and down the other side.  i was careful not to flex the sides.  they came loose pretty easily.

so here's the history -- most as expected

• both woofers are k-22 (no suffix) -- not the most impressive woofers i've ever seen
  • both mids are k-55v with pushpin connectors
  • both tweeters are k-77
  • both cross-overs are type e

the unexpected:

• the tweeters, the mids, and the woofers in both speakers have a drop of red paint on them -- my understanding is that this means the driver was repaired as some point.  is that correct? (EDIT:  i'm an idiot -- the red dots indicate positive pole on the driver . . . .)
  • both of the k-77 tweeters are "fuzzy" -- kind of looks like corrosion you would see from a leaky battery.  anyone seen that before?
  • i was expecting the oil can capacitors in the cross-over, but they're not there.  at some point, the capacitors were replaced (see pic), but they are completely dried out!  definitely need to be replaced.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by jcn3

I thought I would share . . . . I'm the proud new owner of a pair of beautiful 1975 Heresy I (thank you NancyW).  The speakers have clearly been babied their whole life as they're in wonderful condition -- only a handful of insignificant scratches/marks.

One newbie question I have is:  What's the best way to remove the back panel?  I removed the screws except for one (left halfway in) and pulled on it.  The panel didn't budge . . .

20211029-172105.jpg

20211029-170919.jpg

20211029-171021.jpg

20211029-171028.jpg

20211029-171037.jpg

20211029-170951.jpg20211029-170956.jpg

You don’t need spades. Wrap bare speaker wire clockwise and screw them down. You won’t find nothing inside but three drivers and a crossover. Hook em up and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tony Whitlow said:

You don’t need spades. Wrap bare speaker wire clockwise and screw them down. You won’t find nothing inside but three drivers and a crossover. Hook em up and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the reply -- did you see the pic of the dried out capacitors in the x-over?  i wouldn't think they would perform at their best right now!  it's definitely tempting though!

43 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

thanks for the reply -- did you see the pic of the dried out capacitors in the x-over?

the capacitor outer layer is not crucial , but the conductor is  , if you want new Klpsch OEM capacitors , @JEM Performance  is the sole klipsch seller of these parts and these parts would restore the sound to factory specs without having to change anything else -

• Like 1

Nice looking Heresys.  Just wondering, are there screw hole marks on the crossover board where the original caps were mounted?  The current caps might not be bad, but it is inexpensive to replace them anyway just in case (unless you have a way to measure the values and ESR and they measure fine).  I sure would listen and enjoy, new caps or not.  I would not think that the oxidation on the outside of the tweeters would affect the sound.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 6:30 PM, jcn3 said:

both of the k-77 tweeters are "fuzzy" -- kind of looks like corrosion you would see from a leaky battery.  anyone seen that before?

I believe that is the from the zinc plating, deteriorating over time, nothing to really worry about.

Beautiful cabinets!

• Like 2

On 10/30/2021 at 8:00 AM, Seadog said:

Nice looking Heresys.  Just wondering, are there screw hole marks on the crossover board where the original caps were mounted?  The current caps might not be bad, but it is inexpensive to replace them anyway just in case (unless you have a way to measure the values and ESR and they measure fine).  I sure would listen and enjoy, new caps or not.  I would not think that the oxidation on the outside of the tweeters would affect the sound.

There are some small screw holes - I'll see if I can get some better pics of the crossover in the next few days.

On 10/29/2021 at 6:30 PM, jcn3 said:

"the capacitors were replaced (see pic), but they are completely dried out!  definitely need to be replaced"

The yellow capacitors in the crossover now are not "dried out". They are "film capacitors" made of polyester (Mylar) or polypropylene or some other film material. It is hard to see the writing on them from the pix. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Curious_George said:

The yellow capacitors in the crossover now are not "dried out". They are "film capacitors" made of polyester (Mylar) or polypropylene or some other film material. It is hard to see the writing on them from the pix. 

What would make them go flat as a pancake? 

• jcn3 changed the title to 1975 Heresy I -- WOW!