1975 Heresy I -- WOW!

jcn3

3 hours ago, DizRotus said:

In my experience they are indistinguishable.  

Keep in mind, while Klipsch sourced T-35s from EV, they are said to have measured them, labeling the best as K-77s while returning the losers to EV to be sold as T-35s.  Do you really think the same company that rejected some T-35s for subtle differences would replace Alnico K-77s with K-77Ms if they were perceptibly inferior?

I really hear a very emotional difference between Alnico and M. Especially with strings and classical music it is striking. One should not forget that it was not a voluntary step to switch to ferrite. At that time, Alnico had suddenly gone through the roof in price, so almost all companies had switched to ferrite. Look at what two different Tannoys from the Prestige series cost today when we see a ferrite versus an Alnico of the same size. They have both on offer.

Compare the price of a Ferrite to the price of an Alnico...both are 10" drivers.
Turnberry vs Kensington.

https://upscaleaudio.com/collections/tannoy

Don't even know how well off we are to have these Atlas drivers for such relatively small money. And I would never trade my K77 for K77M in the long run.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Area 51 said:

No, I don't really think. Really, I don't. I didn't mean to offend anybody. I'm asking because I don't know. I got the impression from a couple of things I read that the K-77s might be preferred by some over the K-77Ms. So, I asked. I have come seeking wisdom. Thanks for allowing me to benefit from your experience. 

No offense taken or intended.  Your question is legitimate.  IMO, the cult surrounding Alnico K-77s is misplaced for the reasons stated.  Also, Alnico K-77s (T-35s) are subject to demagnetizing.  They can be re-magnetized.

IMO, the whole K-77 controversy can be avoided by switching to one of several alternatives.  Properly functioning K-77s would not concern me, whether alnico or mud magnet.  That said, if in need of a replacement diaphragm for either, rather than trust an aftermarket replacement, I would “upgrade” to one of the more modern alternatives.

• Like 1

On 10/29/2021 at 6:53 PM, jcn3 said:

thanks for the reply -- did you see the pic of the dried out capacitors in the x-over?  i wouldn't think they would perform at their best right now!  it's definitely tempting though!

there is no visual evidence those capacitors are "dried out".  In fact, those likely have no fluids at all and cannot dry out. 

Your speakers may well sound better with new, good film and foil caps, but you won't know until you listen for a while.  Heresies of that era should sound forward and crisp, even bright.  If they do, you don't need new caps. 

6 hours ago, geezin' said:

Nice to see Heritage speakers appreciated for how good they really are. While I don't own any yet I've heard them. My ears are old and the differences between old and new may be lost on them. A nice set of Heresy like yours is what I seek. And maybe a pair of Belle.....Klipschorns....LaScala. Well you know how it is.

I'm certainly enjoying them! These older Hereseys certainly represent amazing value.

6 hours ago, Area 51 said:

And the K77 is highly desirable while the K77M: not so much? 

there are quite a few factors to consider when we speak of k77  Alnico versus ferrite

-it is mostly a question relative to peak EV  manufacturing quality in the mid to late 70's   and let's not forget the EVT350  which was considered , and may still be the  best tweeter in the world , it used the same diaphragm as the EV T35 , but with a a much bigger  unit with a  1 pound Alnico magnet and a much larger horn lens -  

- the Alnico tweeters  were more expensive to manufacture - they magnets were machined with very high tolerances - they were eliminated when the magnet 's  cost  went right through the roof   and ferrite was so much cheaper being an  amalgamate of metal powder   versus a precisely machined  piece of Alnico -

-Alnico drivers in general are prized in all brands for their HIFI qualities , because they have a distinctive sound  ,   modern High quality Alnico drivers  are much  more expensive -

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Area 51 said:

No, I don't really think. Really, I don't. I didn't mean to offend anybody. I'm asking because I don't know. I got the impression from a couple of things I read that the K-77s might be preferred by some over the K-77Ms. So, I asked. I have come seeking wisdom. Thanks for allowing me to benefit from your experience. 

The EV alnico T35/K77 were not only better made and more expensive to manufacture , but  they also had Beryllium leads which prevented failures  ,  and the diaphragms  also lasted longer  , the toughest , highest quality  EV T35 diaphragms were made in the late 70's /1976 through 1980   and they are found in a majority in the Alnico EVT35 and  a few batches of Ferrite EV T-35  tweeters made between 1979 and 1980 -

-from there onwards , the EV quality went downwards  

I also own  K77M tweeters and  quite a few so called replacements   - the Alnico T35 -T350  are hand down the ones I prefer -   these Tweeters  sound nothing like modern tweeters , far from it  ,  they  sound impeccable with jazz and Rock and Classical, , and vinyl  old school , while the newer tweeters are  , simply colored  , one clear example are the new Neo magnet tweeters  -

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, geezin' said:

Crack The Sky

Vague recollection. My memory isn't what it once was. Those guys are from West Virginia, aren't they? (A little home cooking', geezer)? And they've been around like forever? Those guys must be older than I am! Can't be original personnel, can it?

Crack the Sky, wow. Their debut album in '75 was good I played that one a lot on my Bose 901s. That was two years before I bought my first set of real speakers. I got my Heresys in '77, I still have them and they still sound way better than the 901s after all these years.

10 minutes ago, wetowne said:

I had that same TT. 

I am considering bringing it back to life. I'd like to find someone familiar with old Thorens to service the TD160. I wonder if that could be cost effective. Would the same amount of money spent on service and repair buy a comparable new turntable? Seems it wasn't that long ago you wouldn't have a lot of new turntables to choose from. Now there are quite a few aren't there? 

16 minutes ago, Area 51 said:

I am considering bringing it back to life. I'd like to find someone familiar with old Thorens to service the TD160. I wonder if that could be cost effective. Would the same amount of money spent on service and repair buy a comparable new turntable? Seems it wasn't that long ago you wouldn't have a lot of new turntables to choose from. Now there are quite a few aren't there? 

Keep the Thorens, this kind of quality you cannot get from modern TTs in it‘s price range. Some even prefer it against an LP12. I never had a Thorens but a good buddy has his since decades. Still singing today. Much better than my old Dual. I bought an Oracle Delphi Mk5 18 years ago used and therefore I don‘t need to change something for the rest of my life.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_reviews.php?make=Thorens&model=TD160

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2