New Cornwall IV's

ZardozM

6 hours ago, ZardozM said:

So far I'm really happy with my system as it is powering the CW's, not going to make any changes until they have thoroughly broken in.  One thing I might try in the future is Bi-amping with a pair of McIntosh MC75 mono amps that are being reconditioned. 

IMG_20211020_202019072~2.jpg

Also try the MC75 for the whole CW not only for bi amping (bass or high range?) My MC275 works fine with my old Lascalas.

Wow from dipoles to CW4 has to be a pretty large adjustment.   A big switch like that sounds fun and you have enough gear to be busy for a while.  Appreciate the update and hope you have a blast!  I bought mine used and the prev owner had glass tops made, FWIW, but sold me on the practice where practicable. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ZardozM said:

Since the cabinets on these speakers is so nice I was thinking about putting a good coat of beeswax for protection.   Any other recommendations or yea's or nay's? 

Best thing is to call the dealer , they will give you a better advice as to which products to use -

10 hours ago, grindstone said:

Wow from dipoles to CW4 has to be a pretty large adjustment.   A big switch like that sounds fun and you have enough gear to be busy for a while.  Appreciate the update and hope you have a blast!  I bought mine used and the prev owner had glass tops made, FWIW, but sold me on the practice where practicable. 

I went from Spatial Audio X3s to Cornwall IVs. To my ears the CW IV is the better overall speaker.

Shakey

• Like 1

Great set-up and congrats on the new speakers.  Man, the light gathering nature of those cat eyes are impressive. Blazing.   By the way, I dig Spatial Audio speakers,   I am pleased that the Cornwall's best them in your eyes, Shakey. 

The quality of horns sound betters the dipole speakers by quite a lot.   The emerald physics really aren't in the same category as the cornwall's.   I'm keeping the ep's for now, want to do some a/b listening once the CW's have burned in for 90 days. 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2021 at 11:08 PM, CoryGillmore said:

My CWIVs continue to impress after about 4 months of ownership. I'm still looking for the perfect integrated or separates combo to power them. But to be honest, they sound fantastic out of my Onkyo TXNR757 A/V receiver. Even with this Onkyo, they responded well to being bi-amped and I also noticed a difference when I upgraded to higher quality 12 gauge speaker cable. Nothing too crazy, but better cabling than what I had. 

I'm gonna be really pissed if I spend 5 grand on new amp/dac/pre and it sounds the same as this $800 A/V receiver....Really pissed...

Sounds fantastic with single ended tube amps.

Edited by VNC Studio
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, VNC Studio said:

Sounds fantastic with single ended tube amps.

I was and still am considering a tube pre, the Freya+. My system also does home theater duty but with an emphasis on 2-channel stereo, but it has to integrate with TV and movies as well.  The Freya+ does home theater passthrough and it has a passive mode that can bypass the tube stage. So it's always been on my short list if I decide to go separates. 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 3:08 AM, CoryGillmore said:

My CWIVs continue to impress after about 4 months of ownership. I'm still looking for the perfect integrated or separates combo to power them. But to be honest, they sound fantastic out of my Onkyo TXNR757 A/V receiver. Even with this Onkyo, they responded well to being bi-amped and I also noticed a difference when I upgraded to higher quality 12 gauge speaker cable. Nothing too crazy, but better cabling than what I had. 

I'm gonna be really pissed if I spend 5 grand on new amp/dac/pre and it sounds the same as this $800 A/V receiver....Really pissed...

Were I you I would have to seriously consider the McIntosh MA252 tube hybrid integrated.  It's quite affordable and would give you a taste of that sweetness that tubes bring to the party.  In my completely biased opinion Klipsch Heritage + tubes is an absolute must.  Once you try them you'll never go back to pure SS.

When I first got my Klipschorns many years ago I was in the same boat as you.  Powering them with a TOTL SS Yamaha receiver.  Had never tried tube amplification before.  Ignorance was truly bliss.  I finally bit the bullet and bought a vintage MC240.  Quickly realized that tubes were a complete revelation.  Loved what I heard and thought surely more power would be better.  Bought an MC275.  Immediately preferred the MC240 so I quickly parted ways with the MC275.  At that time a lot of the guys here in the 2-channel arena were running their Heritage with super low powered SET amps like the old 2A3 Moondogs so I thought let's go the opposite direction.  Bought a pair of MC30 monoblocks and the rest is history.  Sold the MC240 and I'm still running the MC30s to this day.

Believe me.  If you're willing to invest up to $5k on some new gear, and give tube amplification a shot, you'll sit back and laugh as soon as the first track plays realizing just how much you were missing.  That Onkyo will never be able to show you what your CWIVs are truly capable of.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Radiohead said:

Were I you I would have to seriously consider the McIntosh MA252 tube hybrid integrated.  It's quite affordable and would give you a taste of that sweetness that tubes bring to the party.  In my completely biased opinion Klipsch Heritage + tubes is an absolute must.  Once you try them you'll never go back to pure SS.

When I first got my Klipschorns many years ago I was in the same boat as you.  Powering them with a TOTL SS Yamaha receiver.  Had never tried tube amplification before.  Ignorance was truly bliss.  I finally bit the bullet and bought a vintage MC240.  Quickly realized that tubes were a complete revelation.  Loved what I heard and thought surely more power would be better.  Bought an MC275.  Immediately preferred the MC240 so I quickly parted ways with the MC275.  At that time a lot of the guys here in the 2-channel arena were running their Heritage with super low powered SET amps like the old 2A3 Moondogs so I thought let's go the opposite direction.  Bought a pair of MC30 monoblocks and the rest is history.  Sold the MC240 and I'm still running the MC30s to this day.

Believe me.  If you're willing to invest up to $5k on some new gear, and give tube amplification a shot, you'll sit back and laugh as soon as the first track plays realizing just how much you were missing.  That Onkyo will never be able to show you what your CWIVs are truly capable of.

I ended up picked up an Audiolab 6000a Play. Nothing too crazy but will hopefully provide an audio e upgrade over the receiver. Plus it didn’t break the bank so I’ll still be on the lookout for something more substantial. 

If I end up with tubes it’ll likely be a tube pre-amp. Like a Freya+. 

• Like 2

Congrats to your choice. I had an Audiolab 8000A almost 30 years ago. With the same Sanken power amp transistors that Bryston uses or has used. I just checked, these Sanken transistors are still used by Audiolab today. I have always liked the amplifier very much. It is not hysterical but in a positive sense unexciting or better said relaxed but with a good timing and plenty of colorful and nice balanced sound. The Audiolab does not want to make the last shred audible over clear but deliver a nice round musical sound image. Should go very well with the Cornwall.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KT88 said:

Congrats to your choice. I had an Audiolab 8000A almost 30 years ago. With the same Sanken power amp transistors that Bryston uses or has used. I just checked, these Sanken transistors are still used by Audiolab today. I have always liked the amplifier very much. It is not hysterical but in a positive sense unexciting or better said relaxed but with a good timing and plenty of colorful and nice balanced sound. The Audiolab does not want to make the last shred audible over clear but deliver a nice round musical sound image. Should go very well with the Cornwall.

Thanks brother. It was supposed to come today but it’s been delayed and Amazon doesn’t even have an updated delivery date ugh. Hopefully tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Having heard the Mac gear at my dealer with the CW IV’s, I wasn’t impressed with the newer Mac hybrid gear. Seemed to get a little brittle at the top end. 
Conversely, at home with the A21+, there is no end to the clarity and power these speakers were made for. I love the look and legacy of Mac gear, but too often they never get compared to newer higher end SS amps. Not saying Mac gear is bad, just saying they are not the only game out there for $5kish front end. 

2 years ago I was able to compare a brand new Yamaha A-S2200 to my 25/20 year old C22CE/MC275 in my room. A buddy had bought the Yamaha amp and I could hear it on my speakers. It's really not bad, I would also never say Yamaha is better than Mcintosh all tube or vice versa. It's a different flavor with different strengths and weaknesses, but I wouldn't want to trade.

But when I see what today a combination C22 with MC275 cost if you buy new I would also consider what nice Sandamps there are around. Especially since you do not need electric welders for the Cornwall but small fine transistors with about 30 watts or so.

• Like 2

Hi,

Cary audio from the 90s when Dennis Had was in command, are also a fantastic option with Klipsch Heritage. I don't know what the current models are worth, but there is always a special Klipsch Heritage SLi80 model !

https://www.caryaudio.com/2019/05/17/introducing-the-sli-80hs-integrated-amplifier/

SLI-80HS_walnut.jpg

90' example

p1100512.jpg

😍

• Like 2