New Cornwall IV's

ZardozM

On 11/2/2021 at 11:08 PM, CoryGillmore said:

My CWIVs continue to impress after about 4 months of ownership. I'm still looking for the perfect integrated or separates combo to power them. But to be honest, they sound fantastic out of my Onkyo TXNR757 A/V receiver. Even with this Onkyo, they responded well to being bi-amped and I also noticed a difference when I upgraded to higher quality 12 gauge speaker cable. Nothing too crazy, but better cabling than what I had. 

I'm gonna be really pissed if I spend 5 grand on new amp/dac/pre and it sounds the same as this $800 A/V receiver....Really pissed...

I use a Reisong A10 with Tungsol EL34s and Voshkod preamp tubes with my Cornwall IIIs. Sounds really beautiful with deep bass. The bass is really dependent on the position of the speakers in relation to the corners and wall behind the speakers.

Edited by VNC Studio
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, VNC Studio said:

The bass is really dependent on the position of the speakers in relation to the corners and wall behind the speakers.

Absolutely correct. I have mine shoved as close to the wall as I can while still having an aggressive toe-in. Pulling them out into the room or giving the speakers "room to breathe" pretty much killed all the bass. I don't see how people run them like that and still get enjoyment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, VNC Studio said:

I use a Reisong A10 with Tungsol EL34s and Voshkod preamp tubes with my Cornwall IIIs.

Hello VNC Studio ! That A10 and Cornwall III combination is the setup I'll be using (once I open the boxes). The new A10 is here, unopened. I have been so busy moving to my new abode I haven't been able to set up my stuff. I'm moving. Everything is in boxes.

This is all new to me. I'd like to ask a few questions if you don't mind - please forgive me and ignore me if you do mind.  

I'm really happy to find somebody is making this combination work. I'm fascinated with the low watt, low dollar "Chi-Fi" stuff. I thought it might work well with Klipsch speakers. I hope to try my new A10 with my recently acquired old Heresys as well. And some other Klipsch speakers. 

Do you know how the A10 differs from the A10C? I can't see any difference.

Did your A10 come with the Tungsol tubes or did you add those? I assume you added the Voshkod tubes.

What did you use before you got the A10? Have you had other tube type amps?

Have you ever used a solid state amp with your Cornwall IIIs? How do they compare?

I hope to try my new amp without a pre amp and with my Schiit Freya+ pre. And also with a Schiit Saga as pre. Have you used a pre amp with your A10 / Cornwall combination?

From your description I assume you are not using a sub woofer. Correct? 

Are your Cornwalls in corners? If not how far from the corners? How far from the back wall?  In his most recent post CoryGilmore says he has his Cornwalls - I think they're IVs - as close to the wall as he can get them for best bass performance. Has that been your experience, too? 

What kind of speaker cables are you using?

I don't want to impose on you any more than I already have so I'll stop here. I hope you'll continue to post.

Thanks,

geo

(Area 51)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CoryGillmore said:

Absolutely correct. I have mine shoved as close to the wall as I can while still having an aggressive toe-in. Pulling them out into the room or giving the speakers "room to breathe" pretty much killed all the bass. I don't see how people run them like that and still get enjoyment. 

Depends on the room. I have a room that supports low bass really well and I had them pulled out about two feet. Smaller rooms might not fare as well. But keep in mind your listening position is relative to the distance you move the speakers. You might be in a bass cancellation zone and it would have nothing to do with where the speakers are placed. Just a thought.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do use a Chi-fi Amp myself with my new CW4's. I had Heresey's before on the same Amp. The Amp is a Cayin MT34, which is tested and set up in Germany by Cayin Europe before delivery. They do this on all Amps, so the price is slightly higher. With the CW4 I just cant imagine to get it any better and I do not have the urge to try at all. It is just so damn perfect. The Cayin has no noises at all, dead quiet even with my turntable. Real good quality with manual point to point soldering. Friends of mine have Mcintosh Pre and Poweramp with expensive speakers and everything cost five times as much as the Cayin with CW's. I would not trade at all period. My system sounds much better. My CW's still improve after over 200 hours of playback, incredible. The rest of my setup is a RME DAC feeded by a Roon Bridge with Vitos (highly recommended)on a Raspberry Pi4. Turntable is a Thorens 124 with Ortofon #1 on a SME 3009 to a SUT to MM Phono Stage DS2 Pro-ject. Cables are Kimber on Speakers and a Kimber Silverstreak between DAC and Amp and Mogami Golden for the TT connections. Soundwise everything is so clean, never harsh, separated instruments, clean and detailed voices, homogenic presentation over all and wide soundstage. The CW's are placed close to the wall. I do not use the word warm here as it is kind of a mix of modern SS precision and tube sound, what I really like. The reason is, I do like vintage Jazz as much as Rock like Led Zeppelin as much as contemporary stuff. With the DSP on the RME Dac I can handle my difficult room with an ease.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

On 11/16/2021 at 3:15 AM, Shakeydeal said:

Depends on the room. I have a room that supports low bass really well and I had them pulled out about two feet. Smaller rooms might not fare as well. But keep in mind your listening position is relative to the distance you move the speakers. You might be in a bass cancellation zone and it would have nothing to do with where the speakers are placed. Just a thought.

True, I definitely have a less than optimal room. I have my speakers spaced apart about 13 feet from each other. Any further apart and I don't get a center image. I believe this to be the result of my 7ft tall ceilings, a foot shorter than Klipsch recommends for Cornwalls. 

Even still, I'm very pleased with the sound in their current positioning and placement. I finally upgraded to a decent integrated amp and it only got better. And with me coming from an A/V receiver, the difference wasn't exactly subtle lol. 

• Like 1

I pushed my Cornwall IVs even closer to the wall this weekend and got even better bass. The inside corner, the corner closest to the wall, is only 2 inches from the wall now. I also removed the plug from the bass port (aka Cornhole). It’s weird because with my old A/V receiver I got better bass impact with one cornhole plugged on each speaker. With this new Audiolab it sounds best with all cornholes open. 

I’m sure I would get better soundstage depth if I pulled the speakers out from the wall but I’m willing to sacrifice depth for this amazing impactful bass I get. 

1 minute ago, PrestonTom said:

Am I understanding you correctly that you blocked the port(s)?

I will be candid, if this was given to you as advice ..... then that advice is very suspect.

Yeah I’ve seen it mentioned in a few threads that in some cases you can better better bass response by plugging one bass port on each CWIV. And that was the case with my old amp.  But with my new amp I got better more impactful bass with having them all open. 

I will continue to be candid .....

Plugging the ports will certainly change the deep bass. I can't imagine that it would improve the deep bass.

Continuing to be candid ......

I think of much of what you are seeking has little to do with electronics. Unless you are comparing across units that include some real dogs.

I believe what you are seeking (with these speakers) is mostly governed by room geometry  and room placement. The good news is that after some false starts, you have now stumbled upon a better strategy.

Good luck,

-Tom

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

I will continue to be candid .....

Plugging the ports will certainly change the deep bass. I can't imagine that it would improve the deep bass.

Continuing to be candid ......

I think of much of what you are seeking has little to do with electronics. Unless you are comparing across units that include some real dogs.

I believe what you are seeking (with these speakers) is mostly governed by room geometry  and room placement. The good news is that after some false starts, you have now stumbled upon a better strategy.

Good luck,

-Tom

Yeah the way I understood it was that by plugging ports you got less deep bass but more impactful. 

But yeah, speaker placement is surely the best way to achieve the desired results. 

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 5:47 PM, Deang said:

Pretty much maintenance free. Just a slightly damp microfiber cloth to wipe off any fingerprints or smudges. 

I have no idea of that’s what the Cornwall IV manual says. 🙂

I take my Cornwalls out into the yard and rinse them off with the water hose. Then just let them air dry in the sun. If it leaves any water spots just hit it with a can of spray paint. 

You don’t want your Cornwalls to get too spoiled, you know? They need to know struggle in order to convey the emotion in music. 

Every once in while I smack my Cornwalls around a little bit and talk crazy to them. 

• Haha 2