A Visit with Chief Bonehead and The Jubilee

When we weren’t at the Klipsch Lab Listening we were at the KHMA Feild House and this was a pair of recently donated 1954 and 1959 Klipschorns from a church that from my understanding PWK use to make recordings at.

I played some of Pauls Recordings on them and they sounded beautiful in this space.

FF09B208-AA13-4503-8710-D6E47F3BFCF9.thumb.jpeg.c78fbe77db239b575770a85c7663ec1a.jpeg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Schu said:

so the phase insert sits IN FRONT of that bracket plate?

Yes,  looks to me like the stock one is still there and the new one is in front of it.  Cory says in the video its a $.50 part.

While I doubt that, hey Chief any chance us under grounders running the AXI drivers can get a pair of the inserts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, babadono said:

Did Chief explain the HF input? Input from amp to one pair of binding posts then shorting bars to another pair of binding posts then to driver. Couldn't that have all been done with one pair of binding posts?

Yes, I asked Roy about this.  He said they did that so you could use speaker cables with spade lugs without having to stack them with the small spade lugs coming from the HF driver.  Just a nice touch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Deano1974 said:

Can some of you nice gentlemen describe the sound you heard please

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It's hard to describe without just using a string of superlatives but I'll try.  I was expecting improvement of the Heritage Jubilee over the Underground Jubilee especially in the very high and very low frequencies based on the specs, but I was not expecting the improvement over the entire frequency range to be so dramatic. The Heritage Jubilee sound much smoother and more integrated over the whole range. Also, this is a really true full range loudspeaker. That 18Hz bottom end spec is no lie. No subwoofer needed with these. When Roy played some synth track with super low notes I thought my ears were going to pop. One thing that also surprised me is that the apparent acoustic center of the speaker is now just about centered at the split between the horns instead of up at the height of the middle of the K-402 HF horn where the image would often times would be with the Underground Jubilee.  The imaging capabilities are amazing and the area of good stereo imaging is super wide.  You can basically get just about to the edge of the horn coverage without appreciable change to the sound character or soundstage.  It was truly the most life-like reproduction I've ever heard.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Deano1974 said:

Can some of you nice gentlemen describe the sound you heard please

Hard for me to english what something sounds like. Can't wait for you to hear them. The imaging and soundstage was as good as it gets. The two way was cohesive. The bass was full and detailed. Roy took down the distortion a few notches so with that all the benefits. Gotta hear it to believe. Like describing a sunset to a blind person.

• Like 5

It's hard to describe without just using a string of superlatives but I'll try.  I was expecting improvement of the Heritage Jubilee over the Underground Jubilee especially in the very high and very low frequencies based on the specs, but I was not expecting the improvement over the entire frequency range to be so dramatic. The Heritage Jubilee sound much smoother and more integrated over the whole range. Also, this is a really true full range low speaker. That 18Hz bottom end spec is no lie. No subwoofer needed with these. When Roy played some synth track with super low notes I though my ears were going to pop. One thing that also surprised me is that the apparent acoustic center of the speaker is now just about centered at the split between the horns instead of up at the height of the middle of the K-402 HF horn where the image would often times would be with the Underground Jubilee.  The imaging capabilities are amazing and the area of good stereo imaging is super wide.  You can basically get just about to the edge of the horn coverage without appreciable change to the sound character or soundstage.  It was truly the most life-like reproduction I've ever heard.
Superb, that's what I wanted to hear, coherence and no need for subs,

How was the overall tone of instruments and vocals

• Like 2

Hard for me to english what something sounds like. Can't wait for you to hear them. The imaging and soundstage was as good as it gets. The two way was cohesive. The bass was full and detailed. Roy took down the distortion a few notches so with that all the benefits. Gotta hear it to believe. Like describing a sunset to a blind person.

Gotch, I know its hard to explain, I do appreciate your thoughts, thanks

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deano1974 said:

Superb, that's what I wanted to hear, coherence and no need for subs,

How was the overall tone of instruments and vocals

Again, it's hard to say without just repeating "It was truly the most life-like reproduction I've ever heard".  I used a very wide range of music during my personal listening session (rock, jazz, big band, classical solo piano, choral music and large scale orchestra).  I've attended live performances of all of these type of music before.  All sounded very realistic and I could not find fault with anything that I or anyone else played.

• Like 1