A Visit with Chief Bonehead and The Jubilee

3 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Corey's description was certainly not very good on the technical aspects.

sorry bro. I’m sure you could do much better. As for me, I’m tapped out, that’s the best I can do. If you guys are debating where the ports are, I’m pretty sure Roy specifically told us in the class that the ports are on the bottom so it can couple with the ground. 

• Like 2

I’ll try to cover as much detail as I can remember and if I am mistaken about anything I would appreciate Roy correcting, clarifying or adding to my descriptions/information.

(1) The Jubilee LF Horn consist of (2) 12” drivers to improve efficiency and the (3) Vents are located in the lowest position because they perform better when they are coupled closest to the floor of the listening space. The best location of the vents was learned during the development of the KPT-HLS-1802 and verified during the development of the KPT-HLS-1502 and now the Jubilee LF has also verified that research.

(2) The Jubilee LF Horn has a true 20Hz flare rate while the “Underground Jubilee” and Klipschorn have 40Hz flare rates so this along with the (2) 12” Drivers + Vents + Back Chamber allows the Jubilee LF Horn to reach a solid 18Hz on its low end performance. Note also the mouth area of the Jubilee LF Horn is much larger than the “Underground Jubilee” which also leads to a performance increase.

(3) The Jubilee LF Horn has been designed with improved splay angles of the Bifurcated Mouths which increases performance of the polars to a higher frequency before the cloverleaf effect of polars from Bifurcated Mouths begin to appear. This was an area of improvement that the “Underground Jubilee LF Horn offered over the Klipschorn LF Horn. This feature improves the performance and consistency of the polars in the crossover regions of the Jubilee LF Horn and the Jubilee HF Horn when compared to the “Underground Jubilee” which was the best we have had when it was developed until now.

(4) The Jubilee HF Horn consist of the Klipsch K693 (Celestion Axi2050) driver mounted to the K402 Horn and Roy’s design of a Phase Plug Extension which optimizes the coupling and polars of the Jubilee HF Horn/Driver. Roy has extended the polar control of the horn/driver to 19kHz which up until now was limited to ~6.8kHz with all the 2” exit drivers internal phase plug controlling the frequencies above that point. This improves clarity of imaging by allowing a more consistent specific location and consistency of image movements within the soundstage with less wandering due to polar shifting with frequency of previous designs without the newly developed phase plug extension. The K693/K402 combination brings another area of improvement versus past designs by lowering the low end frequency extension of the Jubilee HF Horn/Driver combination. This allows improvements in the Polar Control to a significantly lower frequency and allows a wider range of frequencies to be handled by the K402 Horn. This lower polar control of the Jubilee HF Horn and the higher polar control of the Jubilee LF Horn allows the apparent seamless blending of the Horns in the crossover region which is if I remember correctly about 270Hz electrically and 340Hz acoustically.

(5) The DSP unit has both IIR and FIR filter capabilities which allows the optimization of Frequency and Phase of the Jubilee System. It has both Balanced and Unbalance Inputs/Outputs. The LF and HF both have Level Controls to allow optimizing when using dissimilar amplifier designs for the LF Horns and HF Horns.

So with all that said how did it sound to me….😄

Sorry but …I’ll have to go into this tomorrow when I have time because I want to describe my experience as accurately as possible and its late and I’m tired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the fantastic descriptions of the fantastic speaker. I am very curious to hear the listening impressions that will report mikebse2a3, a man who is one of the pioneers of the owners of the underground Jubilee and who will contribute very valuable comparisons.

I wonder if the additional phaseplug is exactly matched to the Celestion driver or if I could also benefit from it with my TAD 4002 using the K402 horn, for example.

• Klipsch Employees
18 hours ago, babadono said:

Did Chief explain the HF input? Input from amp to one pair of binding posts then shorting bars to another pair of binding posts then to driver. Couldn't that have all been done with one pair of binding posts?

Not and be a tri-amp active system...this speaker needs 3 amp channels for each speaker...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikebse2a3 said:

I’ll try to cover as much detail as I can remember and if I am mistaken about anything I would appreciate Roy correcting, clarifying or adding to my descriptions/information.

(1) The Jubilee LF Horn consist of (2) 12” drivers to improve efficiency and the (3) Vents are located in the lowest position because they perform better when they are coupled closest to the floor of the listening space. The best location of the vents was learned during the development of the KPT-HLS-1802 and verified during the development of the KPT-HLS-1502 and now the Jubilee LF has also verified that research.

(2) The Jubilee LF Horn has a true 20Hz flare rate while the “Underground Jubilee” and Klipschorn have 40Hz flare rates so this along with the (2) 12” Drivers + Vents + Back Chamber allows the Jubilee LF Horn to reach a solid 18Hz on its low end performance. Note also the mouth area of the Jubilee LF Horn is much larger than the “Underground Jubilee” which also leads to a performance increase.

(3) The Jubilee LF Horn has been designed with improved splay angles of the Bifurcated Mouths which increases performance of the polars to a higher frequency before the cloverleaf effect of polars from Bifurcated Mouths begin to appear. This was an area of improvement that the “Underground Jubilee LF Horn offered over the Klipschorn LF Horn. This feature improves the performance and consistency of the polars in the crossover regions of the Jubilee LF Horn and the Jubilee HF Horn when compared to the “Underground Jubilee” which was the best we have had when it was developed until now.

(4) The Jubilee HF Horn consist of the Klipsch K693 (Celestion Axi2050) driver mounted to the K402 Horn and Roy’s design of a Phase Plug Extension which optimizes the coupling and polars of the Jubilee HF Horn/Driver. Roy has extended the polar control of the horn/driver to 19kHz which up until now was limited to ~6.8kHz with all the 2” exit drivers internal phase plug controlling the frequencies above that point. This improves clarity of imaging by allowing a more consistent specific location and consistency of image movements within the soundstage with less wandering due to polar shifting with frequency of previous designs without the newly developed phase plug extension. The K693/K402 combination brings another area of improvement versus past designs by lowering the low end frequency extension of the Jubilee HF Horn/Driver combination. This allows improvements in the Polar Control to a significantly lower frequency and allows a wider range of frequencies to be handled by the K402 Horn. This lower polar control of the Jubilee HF Horn and the higher polar control of the Jubilee LF Horn allows the apparent seamless blending of the Horns in the crossover region which is if I remember correctly about 270Hz electrically and 340Hz acoustically.

(5) The DSP unit has both IIR and FIR filter capabilities which allows the optimization of Frequency and Phase of the Jubilee System. It has both Balanced and Unbalance Inputs/Outputs. The LF and HF both have Level Controls to allow optimizing when using dissimilar amplifier designs for the LF Horns and HF Horns.

So with all that said how did it sound to me….😄

Sorry but …I’ll have to go into this tomorrow when I have time because I want to describe my experience as accurately as possible and its late and I’m tired.

Mike, Thanks for your clear explanation. My confusion came from the sketchiness of some of the other descriptions and also from a "preliminary spec sheet"  that was a floating around a couple of months ago. That spec sheet indicated a very different configuration. 

I guess the development of the bass bins has been an ongoing evolution and included some major last minute changes. 

I apologize if my direct statements ruffled any feathers.

18 hours ago, Schu said:

Hey Deno... you are blind?

😛

throwing the old jubilees under the bus already...

Not at all I came home and fired up my system and it still sounds great. BUT the Jubilee is on a level I did not think was possible. You absolutely have to hear it to believe it.

• Like 3

I see... that's what I had thought but I have not seen the back of the unit.

That means a software package must be present.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

51649868813_957e888d2d_h.jpg

I am wondering... I can see the 'domed' design of the plug, but do the cylinders also flare, or are they parallel?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Schu said:

and is it adjustable or fixed from the factory?

I can see gain controls, but that is all.

All you can do is flip the switch from balanced to unbalanced, and turn the gain knobs on the front. However there is nothing stopping somebody from also running the signal through a xilica if they so desire. ;) 

17 minutes ago, babadono said:

Who makes the DSP for Klipsch?

they won’t say. It was supposedly designed from the ground up, they didn’t just grab one off the shelf. All I know is that both a Xilica and I think a nicer rack mount minidsp was given to the engineer at Klipsch and told that it has to at least be on par with these. 

• Like 2