A Visit with Chief Bonehead and The Jubilee

I don't know a darn thing about any of it and don't care.  hahahaha  I trust Chief Bonehead to take me there. Those have GOT to sound ahhhhmazing.  The underground seems to think so.    Btw, does anyone know where I can get an interest free loan @ 72???   Cory???    :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, babadono said:

So in the one pic. that you can see a laptop it looks like miniDSP's GUI....I know nothing, this is all conjecture on my part.

The miniDSP unit was just being used by Roy to sum the stereo music into mono for the A/B mono comparison of one Heritage Jubilee and one Underground Jubilee the first day.  It was not used in the setup the second day during the stereo Heritage Jubilee listening sessions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Really seems that as discussed earlier in another thread, this was designed to be a plug and play.

Would say that having an onboard DSP unit, takes all the fuss out of having to dial in a crossover for the set-up and end user, consumers convenience.

A bit of a turnkey unit.

Seems like the ultimate came into the design by, keeping it simple, yet good. Very good by all who attended, by the conversation afforded here.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

sorry bro. I’m sure you could do much better. As for me, I’m tapped out, that’s the best I can do. If you guys are debating where the ports are, I’m pretty sure Roy specifically told us in the class that the ports are on the bottom so it can couple with the ground. 

Sounds right. Good job on the video. You looked like just doing an impromptu, instead of reading from a script.

Cool enough... thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

Trey, Once again I am confused. This is a two-way system (woofer and tweeter). Why would it require tri-amping? What am I missing?

For once, @Trey Cannon is the one confused.  🙂  I asked Roy directly about the dual set of binding posts and jumpers for the HF connections.  It's there so that the spade connectors from the Celestion driver would not have to be connected to the same binding posts as the speaker wire.  This was done to allow the use of spade lug (or bare wire) speaker wire connections without the driver lugs getting in the way (i.e., having to stack spade lugs).  Normally, the connections from crossover or drivers to the binding post are on the back side of the posts inside the cabinet and don't get in the way.  That's not that case here.

Without a spec sheet I am only guessing so please correct me if I am wrong ......

It looks like the DSP unit does not provide for a digital input. I grew up in the early days of DSP, and it was drilled into our brains that you want to avoid an "extra" A to D conversion (CD to analog out to DSP analog in then to Digital for the DSP processing then back to analog for the amplifier).

So are there only analog inputs on the DSP box (both balanced and unbalanced)?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Really seems that as discussed earlier in another thread, this was designed to be a plug and play.

Would say that having an onboard DSP unit, takes all the fuss out of having to dial in a crossover for the set-up and end user, consumers convenience.

A bit of a turnkey unit.

Seems like the ultimate came into the design by, keeping it simple, yet good. Very good by all who attended, by the conversation afforded here.

simple is better for folks like me that want a turn key unit and am struggling now with learning two new software packages with the PRO unit... xilica and REW. it will just take some time to get it down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Without a spec sheet I am only guessing so please correct me if I am wrong ......

It looks like the DSP unit does not provide for a digital input. I grew up in the early days of DSP, and it was drilled into our brains that you want to avoid an "extra" A to D conversion (CD to analog out to DSP analog in then to Digital for the DSP processing then back to analog for the amplifier).

So are there only analog inputs on the DSP box (both balanced and unbalanced)?

You are correct, the current unit only has balanced and unbalanced analog inputs.  Roy mentioned that they had considered adding digital inputs but for various reasons (costs, development time, etc.) they decided not to include that at this point.  They may at some point include it in a a future version.

7 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

Roy. 

7BA1D467-1A98-4F5B-8BF5-DDA489AE8524.png

I'm a little sad on the one hand that I couldn't travel to the US to attend the Jubilee class due to Covid19 but on the other hand, the reports and shared experiences are worth a lot. I'm glad to hear that the new Heritage Jubilee speaker is exceeding expectations. And I am firmly convinced that this is exactly how I would have experienced it.

About the photo...it's poignant in a way. The builder after all the work and development with his baby. Here fits the saying "A picture is worth a thousand words".

• Like 2

Edit:  When I posted these questions here I also posted them to the Just Jubilees Facebook group as well.  I already got a ton of good responses and suggestions there.  I think I have all I need.  So, you can just disregard this.  Thanks.

One thing that I've been contemplating since Roy's class is the logistics of getting these things into my house once they arrive.  I have to get them up two steps to get to my front door, the first step is up to a small concrete stoop and the second is a step up to the door.  Cory said in his video that the bass bins alone weigh something like 280 pounds.  The doesn't sound like something with which my son and I will be able to just lift up those two steps and stroll through the door.  So, I have a few questions that I didn't think of during the class and will drop them here in the hope that someone knows the answer.

1. Will the bass bin box fit through a standard 36" door opening?  I'd rather have the bass bins protected by the boxes as we try to get them up and through the front door.  I wish I had thought of this when they were out at the Klipsch sales meeting and had the boxes for the speakers there to measure.
  2. If the box does not fit through a standard 36" door and I have to unbox them first, what is the recommended way to carry them?  I looked at all the pictures from the class and didn't see any built-in lifting points like they have on pro gear.  Are the the horn internal braces strong enough to use for lifting or is that a no-no?  Should they only be lifted from the bottom?
  3. For those of you with Underground Jubilee, how have you moved your bass bins up stairs and through doorways?  I'm thinking of things like ramps, etc.  Any tips I should know?

Thanks in advance.

Thinking that if your son is abit grown and strong, will go better.

A heavy duty dolly that can make the trip through easily enough, may come into your thinking.

Of course, you are seeking information and others will say.

A little heavy will say.

1 minute ago, billybob said:

Thinking that if your son is abit grown and strong, will go better.

A heavy duty dolly that can make the trip through easily enough, may come into your thinking.

Of course, you are seeking information and others will say.

A little heavy will say.

Another thought is being there of course when delivered as agent may have a dolly.

Alright...

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MMurg said:

One thing that I've been contemplating since Roy's class is the logistics of getting these things into my house once they arrive.  I have to get them up two steps to get to my front door, the first step is up to a small concrete stoop and the second is a step up to the door.  Cory said in his video that the bass bins alone weigh something like 280 pounds.  The doesn't sound like something with which my son and I will be able to just lift up those two steps and stroll through the door.  So, I have a few questions that I didn't think of during the class and will drop them here in the hope that someone knows the answer.

1. Will the bass bin box fit through a standard 36" door opening?  I'd rather have the bass bins protected by the boxes as we try to get them up and through the front door.  I wish I had thought of this when they were out at the Klipsch sales meeting and had the boxes for the speakers there to measure.
  2. If the box does not fit through a standard 36" door and I have to unbox them first, what is the recommended way to carry them?  I looked at all the pictures from the class and didn't see any built-in lifting points like they have on pro gear.  Are the the horn internal braces strong enough to use for lifting or is that a no-no?  Should they only be lifted from the bottom?
  3. For those of you with Underground Jubilee, how have you moved your bass bins up stairs and through doorways?  I'm thinking of things like ramps, etc.  Any tips I should know?

Thanks in advance.

You need to talk to @rigma and @MZKITTY, they got an 1802 up a flight of stairs by themselves (it involved engineering and a winch, but they did it, there are photos posted in here somewhere). I have moved underground Jubes up stairs, you are going to want movers to do it.

• Like 1