A Visit with Chief Bonehead and The Jubilee

As a salesman I'm going to of course go along with the idea that the new ones make the old ones sound cheap but I mean, I'm in sales lol. The old ones are no slouch so I wouldn't be quick to be embarassed or whatever about only having those.  

Of course the low extension is obvious and expected but the old ones can still take your breath away in some scenarious, like literally, it feels funny to breathe if you're really spanking them.  

I did notice that the new ones sounded quite a bit bigger especially with certain instruments like snare drums.  The new ones are the most realistic snare drums I have ever heard.  So there's that.  

The blending is the biggest improvement in my opinion.  The 402 effortlessly meshes up with the bass bin in a way that the old ones struggled to do.  

There are other differences but those are the biggest things I can notice.  

• Like 3

• Moderators
20 hours ago, Paducah Home Theater said:

Roy doesn't exactly give a lecture where everything is laid out either, you have to follow him around like a creep and hang on to any tidbids of information that he happens to release.  That's the best I can do given the situation.  

We had to teach him to do that. It took a lot of practice, but he nailed it.

**Seriously, we had professional videographer/audio recording engineer coming to this event, Roy was going to be miked up the whole time, that would have been edited, sliced and diced, sent off to KGI/PAC for approval and we would have posted it all on the Museum youtube channel. Unfortunately, our good friend @picky and his wife caught ill just before the event and were not able to make the event. We tried to capture some of this with digital recorders, etc., but we (as in me) couldn't do it. We caught about a 100th of what Roy had to say. 

On 11/1/2021 at 5:33 PM, MMurg said:

You weren't mistaken.  It was originally only supposed to have one.  Roy later tried shoehorning a second one in to bring the base bin efficiency closer to the HF and it worked.  Cory explains in more detail in his video (https://youtu.be/XQvg9rrvfwQ).

Just now getting to reading this.  Awesome stuff!!

I'm glad to hear it has two drivers.  I too, was still under the impression that they dropped it to a single driver.  I was scratching my head, especially when Mike (who should clearly know) said it had two drivers.....  how could he mess that up??  Well.....as usual, he didn't!

Now, back to reeading.  I'm only on page 3

On 11/3/2021 at 1:37 AM, dtel said:

Roy is a humble person and does not easily except how far he has advanced another one of PWK's ideas, but has made amazing improvements in many models.

It's true Roy, you deserve to be very proud of your work since when Mr Paul put some of the ideas in your head for you to work out.

He is smiling at you, you make him happy carrying on his dream further than he would have expected. 

May I shout out an "AMEN" to this!!

• Like 3

In the back of my mind I remember someone saying that Underground Jubilees sound great in a small room.  Is this the same with the Heritage Jubilee?  Looking at the size of those things, I have to wonder what the ideal room size is?  I always enjoyed pictures of Khorns, Tannoy's, or any large horn system in a large elegant room.  Not that I have that kind of coin to recreate that, I always dreamed of that listening experience.   I feel like these new Heritage Jubilees can walk right into that room and kick any speaker out and take its place. 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 11:04 AM, The Dude said:

In the back of my mind I remember someone saying that Underground Jubilees sound great in a small room.  Is this the same with the Heritage Jubilee?  Looking at the size of those things, I have to wonder what the ideal room size is?  I always enjoyed pictures of Khorns, Tannoy's, or any large horn system in a large elegant room.  Not that I have that kind of coin to recreate that, I always dreamed of that listening experience.   I feel like these new Heritage Jubilees can walk right into that room and kick any speaker out and take its place. 

@Chief boneheadsaid they will sound great in a small room.  A pair will be going into my smallish living room (13' X 17').  I'll let you know if Roy was right when I get them.  🙂

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, MMurg said:

@Chief boneheadsaid the will sound great in a small room.  A pair will be going into my smallish living room (13' X 17').  I'll let you know if Roy was right when I get them.  🙂

The image I get of that is you squeeeeeezing the two speakers in there.....  and no room to sit.  So, being ever clever, (that rhymed by accident), you realize HEY, I can put a beannie bag chair in the middle of the room.  Since the beenie bag chair can change shape, it will conform to the space left not taken by the speakers.....a side benefit is it might act like a natural sound absorber to boot!!

Another rhyme at the end!  Dang, I'm lyrical today.

• Haha 3

On 11/3/2021 at 6:15 PM, Paducah Home Theater said:

As a salesman I'm going to of course go along with the idea that the new ones make the old ones sound cheap but I mean, I'm in sales lol. The old ones are no slouch so I wouldn't be quick to be embarassed or whatever about only having those.  

Of course the low extension is obvious and expected but the old ones can still take your breath away in some scenarious, like literally, it feels funny to breathe if you're really spanking them.  

I did notice that the new ones sounded quite a bit bigger especially with certain instruments like snare drums.  The new ones are the most realistic snare drums I have ever heard.  So there's that.  

The blending is the biggest improvement in my opinion.  The 402 effortlessly meshes up with the bass bin in a way that the old ones struggled to do.  

There are other differences but those are the biggest things I can notice.  

That's what I thought as well.  There is no hint of a crossover.

I thought the top end (402 / Celestion driver) was absolutely perfect after hearing everyone's music over 2 days.  For me, that is saying a lot..............that I could not think of anything or want to adjust anything whatsoever.

The imaging was excellent as well.  There was a point where I was sitting front and center by myself and someone played a Van Halen tune.  While the speakers were far right and left of me the vocals were directly in front of me in the center of the room.

The other main point for me is how low the bass bin goes.  It's like there is a super clean sub inside it.  On some of those test tracks played at volume the low notes were moving my eyes and this is absolutely no exaggeration.

Mike and Cory pretty much summed everything up about how good these new Jubs really are.  They are truly the new flagship of Klipsch home speakers of any kind.

Compared to the workmanship on other Klipsch speakers I've seen and owned, it seems the factory has stepped up the quality of builds.  The fit and finish is astonishing.  There are odd shaped and detailed parts that fit together like a puzzle and the accuracy of fit, and quality of paint and finish is the best I've seen from Klipsch.

Look close at the very bottom of the Jub.  It is standing on a MASSIVE base that contours around the bass bin.  No fooling around.  That thing is serious and a few inches thick.

Edit:  Oh..........and I think the new Jubs look very cool with the grills off.  To me that's how I like them best.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mark1101 said:

They are truly the new flagship of Klipsch home speakers of any kind.

That is an awesome statement and though I don't think I will be owning a set anytime soon (come on lotto numbers), I will say I am glad to be around as this is happening.  Hopefully either my kids or grandkids will own set and I will be able to tell them the story of when they were released.  

• Like 3

This may explain why some of us, including me, were confused by the configuration of the bass bin. This was released by Klipsch (I assume) some months ago. 

For those of you just entering the morass, apparently this is NOT the configuration of the Jubilee bass bin that will soon be released. However it is still worth a look. 

-Tom

4 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

This may explain why some of us, including me, were confused by the configuration of the bass bin. This was released by Klipsch (I assume) some months ago. 

For those of you just entering the morass, apparently this is NOT the configuration of the Jubilee bass bin that will soon be released. However it is still worth a look. 

-Tom

Understandable.  All the public info, including this video and the preliminary spec sheet, said there was only one woofer.  All of us who attended the class thought there was still a single woofer going into the class.  I think we may have been the first outside the Klipsch/KMAH circle to be told otherwise.

On 11/3/2021 at 10:05 AM, babadono said:

Any chances of a trade up program?...... Can't blame a guy for asking:)

On 11/3/2021 at 5:04 PM, Paducah Home Theater said:

sure

— and I bet the Jubes were only used every other Sunday, playing church hymns through 2 watt single ended amp. Oldest story in the book - 

• Haha 2