A Visit with Chief Bonehead and The Jubilee

• Moderators
On 11/22/2021 at 3:02 PM, MMurg said:

I'm hoping @Chief bonehead is listening as I have a dimension question for the new Jubilee that I forgot to measure while at the event.  I need to know the width of the back panel of the new Jubilee.  I'm trying to layout my room (speakers, treatments, etc.) in CAD software and I'm trying to figure out if any corner bass traps will fit in the corners behind the speakers if the speakers are a few inches out from walls.  I need that back panel width to get the top view outline of the cabinet correct.  Thanks.

He doesn't have them at the moment, they are in New Hampshire where they apparently sound wicked good.

1 hour ago, Travis In Austin said:

He doesn't have them at the moment, they are in New Hampshire where they apparently sound wicked good.

Yes, but he has the CAD models.  He shouldn't need to physically measure.  However, I did call AVT in New Hampshire to ask them to take the measurement but they haven't called me back with the answer.

2 hours ago, dtr20 said:

Can you share the measurements? 

I only asked them for a measurement of the back panel width (17.5") as the other dimensions I needed to make a top view outline can be found on the preliminary spec sheet (found on this page: https://virtualvoxx.com/premium).  Note that some of that information may change.  One change we know for sure is that there are two 12" woofers while this spec sheet says there is only one.

• Like 1

Yes, they are very powerful. They are not fatiguing at moderately high volumes of the crossover is set properly. When we were listening, one of the salesmen was in the room with us and started to tweak the active crossover. After this, some of our testing songs were bright, I lowered the HF on the crossover and all was well again. I guess it might be tempting to tweak the knob settings depending on the artist/style/etc of the music you are listening to. If these were $10k less, I would have placed an order already.

12 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

Yes, they are very powerful. They are not fatiguing at moderately high volumes of the crossover is set properly. When we were listening, one of the salesmen was in the room with us and started to tweak the active crossover. After this, some of our testing songs were bright, I lowered the HF on the crossover and all was well again. I guess it might be tempting to tweak the knob settings depending on the artist/style/etc of the music you are listening to. If these were $10k less, I would have placed an order already.

The knobs on the crossover are really only for handling gain mismatches when using different amps for HF and LF.  They are not meant to be tone controls.

On 12/1/2021 at 8:57 PM, MMurg said:

The knobs on the crossover are really only for handling gain mismatches when using different amps for HF and LF.  They are not meant to be tone controls.

I understand this, but it's not like there is a screen read out to look at numbers to match the amps perfectly. You adjust to them to sound correct. The amp these were hooked up to last week was a Linn 4 channel amp, so they obviously matched perfectly, but you wouldn't just put the LF and HF knobs all the way to the left, middle, or right since they match, it comes down to how it sounds. All the way to the left and the sound is too thin, too much to the right, overbearing, etc. I know they aren't tone controls, but you almost use them like they are. 

• Moderators
3 hours ago, dtr20 said:

understand this, but it's not like there is a screen read out to look at numbers to match the amps perfectly.

There typically isn't with professional DSP/crossover either. 

The way I have seen it done is with AES pink noise and that will get you within a db or less (depending on your ears). From there, because the output is line level (direct to speakers) you would needs an RMS db meter (just like the ones built into every SS Mac Amp) and you could get closer than your ears could detect. HOWEVER, there are someunknows, the LF and HF are going to have different sensitivity, and you don't know how that's is compensated with the DSP, if at all.

So if you want it better than the limits of audibility, you would need to put a lab grade calibrated microphone into play, at the proper distance, at the proper height - like when you are doing an AB test with speakers and you want them exactly the same volume. If that's done properly, I have seen them get to within 1/10 of a db.

But it's really not an issue, those who run underground Jubes with active crossovers and different amps are all doing the exact same thing, instead of twisting a handy knob they are putting in less or more gain by typing in a number on a keyboard. 

5 hours ago, dtr20 said:

I understand this, but it's not like there is a screen read out to look at numbers to match the amps perfectly. You adjust to them to sound correct. The amp these were hooked up to last week was a Linn 4 channel amp, so they obviously matched perfectly, but you wouldn't just put the LF and HF knobs all the way to the left, middle, or right since they match, it comes down to how it sounds. All the way to the left and the sound is too thin, too much to the right, overbearing, etc. I know they aren't tone controls, but you almost use them like they are. 

Roy said at JubFest to do exactly that with identical amps.  He said that if you are using identical amps to just to set both knobs at max since the gain is identical.  If you were using different amps for HF and LF then you need to use them.  Ideally you would measure the response with something like REW and adjust accordingly. 

• Moderators
7 hours ago, MMurg said:

Roy said at JubFest to do exactly that with identical amps.  He said that if you are using identical amps to just to set both knobs at max since the gain is identical.  If you were using different amps for HF and LF then you need to use them.  Ideally you would measure the response with something like REW and adjust accordingly. 

You can get closer with your ears on LF/HF than REW in my experience. 

You will see which Fanfare for the common Man instantly. 

1 hour ago, Travis In Austin said:

You can get closer with your ears on LF/HF than REW in my experience. 

You will see which Fanfare for the common Man instantly. 

LOL.  I won't have to worry about messing with the gain as I'm going to use identical amps for LF and HF.