A Visit with Chief Bonehead and The Jubilee

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2021 at 11:23 AM, Coytee said:

Pffffft.....  Ipod owners......dumbazz.....  lol.  :emotion-21:

Welcome back Doc, this is the first post I've seen of yours in quite a while (in case I've missed others)

Pffffft.... Old-timers and their vinyl....😴 Haha

How've you been??? I pop in from time to time to see if anything exciting is happening. What's new in the world of Klipsch besides the Jubilee? I don't get much time for the audiophile hobbies these days...

I did finally upgrade to a proper system running two MiniDSP SHDs giving me a 2x3 crossover fed into Hypex nCore amplifiers, and a SpeakerPower amp for the bass. Dead silent, super smooth, and one click away from any master quality music streamed through Tidal. You guys should try it sometime...

Any chance of getting a MiniDSP SHD config for the Jubilee? I'm really close to making a purchase, but unfortunately Klipsch has a really poor reputation for electronics with me and this processor thing is really holding me up.... Especially when I'm so happy with the current setup. 

58 minutes ago, DrWho said:

How've you been??? I pop in from time to time to see if anything exciting is happening. What's new in the world of Klipsch besides the Jubilee? I don't get much time for the audiophile hobbies these days...

I did finally upgrade to a proper system running two MiniDSP SHDs giving me a 2x3 crossover fed into Hypex nCore amplifiers, and a SpeakerPower amp for the bass. Dead silent, super smooth, and one click away from any master quality music streamed through Tidal. You guys should try it sometime...

Any chance of getting a MiniDSP SHD config for the Jubilee? I'm really close to making a purchase, but unfortunately Klipsch has a really poor reputation for electronics with me and this processor thing is really holding me up.... Especially when I'm so happy with the current setup. 

So by now you are also convinced that Tidal MQA is a really good thing. I've the new Bluesound Node 2021 for a few months now, which is a clear step forward from the older Node 2i.
MQA is classes better than CD quality, although that's already good with Tidal.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, DrWho said:

Well Doc you can reverse engineer the magic box, and feed those settings into your MiniDSP SHD's OR you can come to Hope on March 9, 10, 11 and 12 (or part thereof), become a member of the museum/donor and we can get you set up in some way, some how. 

Or fly to Austin and drive me up to Hope in March. I have an easier drive way for you to get in and out of these days.

Travis

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2021 at 1:14 AM, Travis In Austin said:

Day 1 we were in two groups, this was the first session in lab on Friday.

So this is: Front Row @Wardsweb  @MMurg @Chief bonehead 2nd row@Ole Dollar @jwc Mark 13 Colter Hess, back row standing@guywithwine

20211015_132626.thumb.jpg.92ac48031668208f50f7b388a536526c.jpg

The next photo is Roy and Jessie

20211015_132321.thumb.jpg.6df6ea3369743a5af8359bf392de4abe.jpg

You boys buy Roy some platform shoes!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/13/2022 at 9:49 AM, KT88 said:

So by now you are also convinced that Tidal MQA is a really good thing. I've the new Bluesound Node 2021 for a few months now, which is a clear step forward from the older Node 2i.
MQA is classes better than CD quality, although that's already good with Tidal.

Ya, the sound quality is totally adequate for audiophile listening....haven't tried the Bluesound Node yet though. Any idea what they changed between model years?

One thing I've noticed with Tidal is that the "Master Quality" (MQA) tracks are ~6dB quieter than "High Quality" (CD)....so you gotta ride the volume control quite a bit when listening to mixed quality playlists. And I feel like they've intentionally detuned the mp3 quality to increase the perceived improvement of the higher quality settings...

I also find that the music discovery aspect of Tidal is quite poor compared to other music streaming services. I haven't gotten rid of my Pandora account because it's way better for discovery and it's compressed audio quality is much much better than Tidal's - which is more important when streaming from my phone over cellular.

At home I pretty much stick to Tidal, but I've found myself gravitating back towards Pandora - especially when hosting dinner parties and the like....it's too much work to curate my own playlists whereas Pandora always nails it so well.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 11:19 AM, Travis In Austin said:

Well Doc you can reverse engineer the magic box, and feed those settings into your MiniDSP SHD's OR you can come to Hope on March 9, 10, 11 and 12 (or part thereof), become a member of the museum/donor and we can get you set up in some way, some how. 

Or fly to Austin and drive me up to Hope in March. I have an easier drive way for you to get in and out of these days.

Travis

I'm not sure it would be that straightforward? Sounds like they're doing some phase correction magic with FIR filters, which would be hard to mimic with only IIR filters.

There is the DIRAC section of the SHD units which should be doing FIR filters, but I'm not sure if that can be manually controlled? Any of you guys play with Dirac? I'm afraid to touch it because apparently it's out of the signal path until you enable it - and then once enabled it's always in the signal path.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll make it out to Hope that week, but maybe there'll be another opportunity in the future?

Did I read correctly that the new Jubilee is $16k each? Not $16k for the pair?

https://hifiheaven.net/shop/Klipsch-Jubilee-Flagship-2-Way-Fully-Horn-Loaded-Loudspeaker-American-Walnut-EACH?language=en&currency=USD

Ooof...

5 hours ago, DrWho said:

Ya, the sound quality is totally adequate for audiophile listening....haven't tried the Bluesound Node yet though. Any idea what they changed between model years?

One thing I've noticed with Tidal is that the "Master Quality" (MQA) tracks are ~6dB quieter than "High Quality" (CD)....so you gotta ride the volume control quite a bit when listening to mixed quality playlists. And I feel like they've intentionally detuned the mp3 quality to increase the perceived improvement of the higher quality settings...

I also find that the music discovery aspect of Tidal is quite poor compared to other music streaming services. I haven't gotten rid of my Pandora account because it's way better for discovery and it's compressed audio quality is much much better than Tidal's - which is more important when streaming from my phone over cellular.

At home I pretty much stick to Tidal, but I've found myself gravitating back towards Pandora - especially when hosting dinner parties and the like....it's too much work to curate my own playlists whereas Pandora always nails it so well.

I never listened to mp3 from Tidal, but at least they lowered the price for CD quality from 20€ to 10€ in Germany, only MQA still costs 20€ (now with Atmos which I don't use).
Your reasoning regarding the weakness of Tidal in play lists and pop content, visual presentation and menu navigation you could have copied 1:1 from my daughter Elisa, as well her example re at a party.
For me as an old white man, the offer and the presentation is completely sufficient, I find my jazz records faster than 30 years earlier in the record store with six large rooms and incorrectly sorted records.🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, DrWho said:

Well just read some reviews, the latest Node 2021 has a different DAC chip which make a significant improvement. 20 years ago I spent four digits for a CD player. Today only the remaining value of analogue equipment counts for me (and the market). Digital equipment ist 98% good for 500€ against 99% for 5000€. Ok, the analogue parts in the circuits and the PSU may be better with expensive gear but even that is far closer than 10 years ago.