PRV Audio D2200Ph 2" Driver on 18" x 10" ZXPC Horn

10 hours ago, geoff. said:

C4DA513C-5538-4C9C-A9C6-3C1D9EE95CAA.jpeg

It is hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like the ZXPC horns are tilted back. If you have not done so yet, I would try and get them perfectly vertical for the best dispersion as your experiment progresses. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Curious_George said:

CompressionDriverFigure1.jpg

I realize it has a phase plug, it was a generalized comment. For example, the BMD750 has a 2 inch throat but a 3 inch vc. Almost all previous compression drivers have a larger vc/diaphragm than the exit aperture.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rolox said:

I've noticed that with my system:

1) changing the midrange tap +& or -1dB has a very audible, almost dramatic effect

2) positioning of the horn in height and depth, in relation to the bass horn, also changes things drastically 

3) using the horn down to 400Hz, you might need to have it attached to a baffle - even if you're using a higher cutoff, you might want some kine of baffle or frame, to stop it from resonating (even plastic does IMO, although it does it differently)

All of this!

Especially #1. I have intently followed the posts of many contributors and their progress as they try to dial in the mids. ALK was way ahead of the curve with the ease of adjustment built in.

Re-reading some older posts another member had a great suggestion to put a swamping resistor across the squawker for ease of adjustment until you find the right balance and THEN get the cap and tap values correct and remove it. 

Would really like to get some definite feedback on the need for a baffle too. I always thought it was necessary, but it how much is needed. What effect does it have, one way or the other?

1 minute ago, geoff. said:

Would really like to get some definite feedback on the need for a baffle too. I always thought it was necessary, but it how much is needed. What effect does it have, one way or the other?

A baffle will more than likely change the polar response somewhat. However, without a baffle the 18 x 10 goes down to 400Hz easily. 

Once I get mine baffle mounted, I'll take another REW measurement, but that could be some time from now. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, geoff. said:

Re-reading some older posts another member had a great suggestion to put a swamping resistor across the squawker for ease of adjustment until you find the right balance and THEN get the cap and tap values correct and remove it. 

If you are going to be using a single-ended tube amp (especially with no feedback), I would recommend leaving the swamping resistor in the network. The resistor flattens the impedance curve significantly and allows the tube amp to drive the speaker much more easily. 

If you compare the frequency response graphs I did between the K55V and D2200Ph, one could say the D2200Ph IS  a K55V in a 2” format. 

The D2200Ph has the closest frequency response curve I have seen to the K55V. It’s actually identical except the D2200Ph has better high frequency response if you choose to use it. 

• Thanks 1

At half the price of a pair of whatever variant of the K-55 you can choose new it is an economical solution. A cheap entry into the corrupting world of 2” horns. 

But for the record, for any suspicious minds, @Curious George are you now, or have you ever been an employee or family member of an employee of the PRV Audio  company or any of it’s affiliates? LOL!

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, geoff. said:

But for the record, for any suspicious minds, @Curious George are you now, or have you ever been an employee or family member of an employee of the PRV Audio  company or any of it’s affiliates? LOL!

No, but I went to CES for 20+ years and did work for a big company who attended, if that narrows it down for anyone. 

13 hours ago, Rolox said:

Indeed! Is that a good thing, or a bad thing? 

I don’t know. But don’t all 1” compression tweeters fall into this same category?

Add to this, while I was mixing and matching horns and drivers for comparison I was also rudely reminded that my Faital Pro HF200 2” throat drivers are merely tapered HF140 1.4” drivers, lol. Although the Faitals do have an almost 3” diaphragm.

Caveat emptor, eh?

13 minutes ago, geoff. said:

I don’t know. But don’t all 1” compression tweeters fall into this same category?

Add to this, while I was mixing and matching horns and drivers for comparison I was also rudely reminded that my Faital Pro HF200 2” throat drivers are merely tapered HF140 1.4” drivers, lol. Although the Faitals do have an almost 3” diaphragm.

Caveat emptor, eh?

The 2" VC & 2" throat comment is a phrase that has no meaning. It's like saying "a jet engine with a prop" (and not a turboprop).

Managed to do a bunch of apples to apples, apples to oranges, and apples to cherries comparisons.

Using A/4500 crossovers:

In case previous posts were skipped (that never happens) initial impressions of ZXPC 18x 10 horn on PRV driver were that it was hot, especially in the high end. This is with A/4500 crossovers so all of that should be cut off(?) Lots of energy at the HF cutoff. Lots of information coming out of a big horn. As is to be expected. Almost overwhelming at first...

To see if it was just the PRV driver I swapped out a pair of K-55-Ms on the ZXPC 18 x 10s with adapters I had on the shelf. Still more HF energy than I was used to “stock”, but less detail than the PRV drivers. But, big horn, more sound. Definitely worth a try.

Then I dusted off (literally) a pair of K-510s on Faital Pro HF200s. Not as much high end, still more than “stock”, but guess what? Smaller sound. I prefer the the bigger horn, apples to apples here. That’s when I was reminded the HF200 has a tapered throat to 2” JUST like the PRV driver, sigh.

Using AA crossovers:

I know, I need a bandpass. On the shelf was a pair of Crites 6000hz bandpass boards (pictured) left over from a go at titanium mids in Cornwalls and Chorus 2s years ago. 

Tried the ZXPC/PRV and K-510/HF200 combinations again to pretty much the same results. Lots of energy still in the squawker at the high pass. I really thought the boards would kill it.

Just for the heck of it I tried a pair of Cornwall 2 crossovers (600/6000hz) with the bandpass filters in the mix. A little less energy at the high frequency cutoff this time. But, only when it’s gone do you really appreciate the lower crossover to the bass bin. 

I have heard it said many times on this forum that the lower you are able to cross the better it will sound. Yet it still goes contrary to what I want to believe about bass response. 

The midrange, on anything I tried, gave the tweeters a run for their money. In the end I preferred the A/4500 combination. But a steeper slope on the squawker roll off, or adjustable midrange would no doubt nail it perfectly.

This makes more sense in light of why so many have also dialed down the midrange in their AA crossovers even with stock drivers and horns.

I can fully appreciate the efforts all of the forum members have gone through trying to dial in their DIY speakers. 

I can also see why the L pad question is perennial.

What I can’t see is why I haven’t bought K-402s and be done with it, lol.

27473ACC-2BFF-4614-A556-C0CE9587C23E.jpeg

Well, I'm VERY annoyed.

Today I decided I'd buy the ZXPC 18x10 horns + adapters, to first try them with my A55G drivers.

Well, to my surprise and huge disappointment, ZXPC won't sell anything to people outside the USA 😞

So I might be looking for someone who would buy them for me and ship them to Europe, or for a pre-owned pair of 18x10 horns...

@Rolox, are you ordering from eBay?

I am in Canada and if it weren’t for the VERY reasonable “Global Shipping Program” offered I would be hesitant to throw darts in the dark.

U.S.P.S. just went right off the deep end on pricing. Pretty much double what it used to be.

Any U.S. sellers reading this and listing stuff on eBay would open up a bigger market with that shipping option.