Jump to content

PRV Audio D2200Ph 2" Driver on 18" x 10" ZXPC Horn


Recommended Posts

Well, I ordered a pair of the PRV drivers on Ebay, they are on their way to me. Still waiting for the horns to be shipped... if by Wednesday they haven't yet sent me a tracking number, I will start harassing them. But I have good hopes.

Looking forward to try them out!!! I've been listening to my midrange horns for the last twenty years, and last 6 years for my A55G drivers, so I'm a little bit nervous. I hope I won't be disappointed! ^^

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Rolox said:

Looking forward to try them out!!! I've been listening to my midrange horns for the last twenty years, and last 6 years for my A55G drivers, so I'm a little bit nervous. I hope I won't be disappointed! ^^

You won’t be disappointed. The PRV2200Ph is what the K55 and it’s derivatives want to be when they grow up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now I must say, I'm planning to use this horn / driver combo from 500Hz up, because I've been told many times that a horn shouldn't be crossed right at its cut-off frequency... but I guess I should try both and listen to the difference. My current horns sound smoother and less "honky" when crossed at 500Hz. Trying 400Hz is just a matter of swapping a crossover card in the (analogue) active crossover, and takes only a few minutes. Deciding what I like best, however, can take much longer ^^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Rolox said:

Now I must say, I'm planning to use this horn / driver combo from 500Hz up, because I've been told many times that a horn shouldn't be crossed right at its cut-off frequency... but I guess I should try both and listen to the difference. My current horns sound smoother and less "honky" when crossed at 500Hz. Trying 400Hz is just a matter of swapping a crossover card in the (analogue) active crossover, and takes only a few minutes. Deciding what I like best, however, can take much longer ^^

Back in 1999, I requested Meniscus Audio (Grand Rapids, Michigan) to design and build a set of 4th order crossovers using the same crossover points and drivers; but moving to 24db/octave slopes and also replacing the caps and resistors with Solen and Mills types.  I dropped off one of my Chorus II's and they did all of the measurements, designed and built the crossovers, and tested them in the enclosure.  They sounded very smooth and balanced with zero honkiness.

 

I have the crossovers on a shelf and plan on using them with the PRV d2200ph driver and 18x10 horn, DaveA's LMAHL V2 tweeter....both of which I have on-hand.  I will probably purchase the FaitalPro 15PR400 4 ohm woofer to match up with them.   I will have to build some boxes to test them out.  Obviously throwing a bunch of stuff together in a box is fraught with unknowns...the PRVd2200ph driver and horn 'should' work with the crossover, the LMAHL will work with the crossover, and the FaitalPro woofer 'should' work with the crossover...and they 'might all work together nicely.  Or not!   We shall see.  I believe there is a possibility this will be a decent speaker.

Edited by StevePaul
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, StevePaul said:

Back in 1999, I requested Meniscus Audio (Grand Rapids, Michigan) to design and build a set of 4th order crossovers using the same crossover points and drivers; but moving to 24db/octave slopes and also replacing the caps and resistors with Solen and Mills types.  I dropped off one of my Chorus II's and they did all of the measurements, designed and built the crossovers, and tested them in the enclosure.  They sounded very smooth and balanced with zero honkiness.

 

I have the crossovers on a shelf and plan on using them with the PRV d2200ph driver and 18x10 horn, DaveA's LMAHL V2 tweeter....both of which I have on-hand.  I will probably purchase the FaitalPro 15PR400 4 ohm woofer to match up with them.   I will have to build some boxes to test them out.  Obviously throwing a bunch of stuff together in a box is fraught with unknowns...the PRVd2200ph driver and horn 'should' work with the crossover, the LMAHL will work with the crossover, and the FaitalPro woofer 'should' work with the crossover...and they 'might all work together nicely.  Or not!   We shall see.  I believe there is a possibility this will be a decent speaker.


If you could download and use REW it would prove most helpful in your speaker endeavours. Check into it. It is free but you will need a good microphone which will cost about $100.

 

Best money you will spend for the speaker hobby. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Well, sadly, my PRV WG45-50 (identical to ZXPC 18x10) ordered in that shitty Curaçao shop don't seem to be shipping. They received my payment more than two weeks ago but the order won't ship.

A week ago after many inquiries they answered to me that they have "covid restrictions" and that my order is "ready to ship" (they showed me a video of my package) and that they would "try to ship it tomorrow" but since then, radio silence. 

The D2200Ph drivers should be delivered to me any day now - those were bought from Ebay and shipped quickly- but I have no horns to use them with.

thus, again,  if someone who's reading this wants to part with a pair of ZXPC horns, please let me know as there's no way I will compromise the result with a different horn. more than the drivers themselves, it's the horns that made me consider this upgrade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Rolox said:

Well, sadly, my PRV WG45-50 (identical to ZXPC 18x10) ordered in that shitty Curaçao shop don't seem to be shipping. They received my payment more than two weeks ago but the order won't ship.

A week ago after many inquiries they answered to me that they have "covid restrictions" and that my order is "ready to ship" (they showed me a video of my package) and that they would "try to ship it tomorrow" but since then, radio silence. 

The D2200Ph drivers should be delivered to me any day now - those were bought from Ebay and shipped quickly- but I have no horns to use them with.

thus, again,  if someone who's reading this wants to part with a pair of ZXPC horns, please let me know as there's no way I will compromise the result with a different horn. more than the drivers themselves, it's the horns that made me consider this upgrade.

I would call my credit card company or however you paid, and tell them the seller has not shipped and to reverse the charges because you are cancelling the order. 
 

I know you want the horns, but you’ll find another reputable supplier somewhere who will ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well well well! 

 

I have received the PRV D2200PH yesterday. They sure look well built for the price, and are bigger / heavier than what I expected. I only have one tiny criticism, the gaskets on mine aren't really well centered and one of them very very slightly interferes with the output opening. But it's so tiny that it won't have any audible effect.

 

On another very positive note, I finally received as well yesterday- three weeks after payment and after having been completely ghosted by their consumer service- a tracking number for the two PRV WG45-50 horns coming from Curaçao. I had completely given up hope, as they wouldn't even reply to my inquiries. It appears the horns have been shipped on the 10th of February and, as we speak, are already in the Netherlands! It came completely out of the blue on my facebook messenger with some excuses about delay and bla-bla-bla.

 

So hopefully the horns will soon be in my hands (and intact, let's hope) and I will be able to try the combo! ^^

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Rolox said:

Well well well! 

 

I have received the PRV D2200PH yesterday. They sure look well built for the price, and are bigger / heavier than what I expected. I only have one tiny criticism, the gaskets on mine aren't really well centered and one of them very very slightly interferes with the output opening. But it's so tiny that it won't have any audible effect.

 

On another very positive note, I finally received as well yesterday- three weeks after payment and after having been completely ghosted by their consumer service- a tracking number for the two PRV WG45-50 horns coming from Curaçao. I had completely given up hope, as they wouldn't even reply to my inquiries. It appears the horns have been shipped on the 10th of February and, as we speak, are already in the Netherlands! It came completely out of the blue on my facebook messenger with some excuses about delay and bla-bla-bla.

 

So hopefully the horns will soon be in my hands (and intact, let's hope) and I will be able to try the combo! ^^

 

I'm glad everything worked out for you. Nothing worse than getting duped by a seller you are not familiar with, especially online. 

 

The horns are lightweight but strong, so they should arrive intact. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Curious_George said:

 

I'm glad everything worked out for you. Nothing worse than getting duped by a seller you are not familiar with, especially online. 

 

The horns are lightweight but strong, so they should arrive intact. 

By the way, talking about weight: the PRV drivers feel heavier than I thought, certainly heavier than the A55G I own. Will the PRV / ZXPC horn hold the weight without having some kind of support under the driver? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rolox said:

By the way, talking about weight: the PRV drivers feel heavier than I thought, certainly heavier than the A55G I own. Will the PRV / ZXPC horn hold the weight without having some kind of support under the driver? 

The material that the horn is made from is at least 6-7mm thick of some type of ABS material.  They are very sturdy and will definitely hold the driver.

 

I was surprised by how thick they are.  By the way, the mounting holes are not perfectly centered....you will probably have to massage/open up the mounting holes a little to get the bolts to slide through.  it isn't a big issue.

 

Edited by StevePaul
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Rolox, maybe get some wider washers to put between the lock washers and bolts that the drivers come with. Better to err on the side of caution.

 

You will need to open up the mounting holes, I think I wound up going three sizes of drill bit larger. A little wiggle room to centre the horn over the throat. 

 

Unless you start gigging your speakers, lol, you won’t need to worry about supporting the drivers.

 

But I did notice almost all of the perimeter horn flange mounting holes on my set have hairline cracks that will need careful attention whenever they wind up tightened onto a motorboard. Nothing that hasn’t happened to many of the other horns I’ve used. 

 

For the fun of it, I’m trying the ZXPCs 2-way at the moment with Faital Pro HF200s and a Crites passive made for these drivers crossing at 500hz on the big Klipsch K-402. It’s not too shabby nearfield, which is all my room affords. 

 

Good to hear you got confirmation for your order.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Rolox said:

Will the PRV / ZXPC horn hold the weight without having some kind of support under the driver? 

 

Yes, but to be prudent, I would fashion some kind of support, just to take some of the weight off of the horn throat flange and front flange.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This horn and driver has gotten the wheels turning. I was thinking of experimenting on my single Belle with it's Crites A/4500 and CT125 by swapping in a A-55G/2. It sits between Khorns and gets used mostly for TV. But yikes, the A-55G/2 has just gone up to $535 a pair. Seems like I snoozed, I loozed. This PRV driver and ZXPC horn look like a good alternative, and if it works favorably, the stock 1967 Khorns might get the treatment, too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Davecv41 said:

This horn and driver has gotten the wheels turning. I was thinking of experimenting on my single Belle with it's Crites A/4500 and CT125 by swapping in a A-55G/2. It sits between Khorns and gets used mostly for TV. But yikes, the A-55G/2 has just gone up to $535 a pair. Seems like I snoozed, I loozed. This PRV driver and ZXPC horn look like a good alternative, and if it works favorably, the stock 1967 Khorns might get the treatment, too.

If you can make the ZXPC horn work in whatever Heritage speaker you have, you will not be disappointed by the PRV & ZXPC combo. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Davecv41 said:

 But yikes, the A-55G/2 has just gone up to $535 a pair.

Damn that is getting to the point of ridiculous IMO they just went up from $350 to $450 not that long ago-- I do like the A55-g's I have but at $535 we're talking decent quality 2" exit driver prices. It's probably cheaper now to just buy used soldered lug k-55v drivers and put new diaphragms in them, I can't imagine they will sell too many at that price but you never know I guess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...