Reasonably priced DAC recommendations

avguytx

I wish there was a section in the forum for "digital" stuff as I'm sure lots of people use DAC's, streamers, etc.  The topics seem to get lost in various areas, though.  I'm doing some changing and looking for a basic DAC....meaning something in the $150 to $300 range.  I'm not a high dollar audiophile by any means and am kind of a tight a$$ by trade.  lol.  Sure, the Schitt stuff is popular but some have a long wait time that I don't care for.  Anything you guys have used that you think worth mentioning?  This will be used with two fully rebuilt Carver pieces; a C-1 preamp that has had most everything replaced including RCA connections and has remote control and a fully rebuilt M-1.0t MkII Opt 002 (yes, long name).  It's a great sounding and powerful amp that really mates well with the Epic CF-3 v1's.

• Like 1

I recently picked up a Topper DAC used here on the forum a bit above your price but it is the real deal comparable to the Benchmark's which costs 1000's. 

This is a different model Topper closer to your price point and it has the same DAC chips as the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Topping-ES9038Q2M-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0987SG87T/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B0987SG87T&th=1

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I recently picked up a Topper DAC used here on the forum a bit above your price but it is the real deal comparable to the Benchmark's which costs 1000's. 

This is a different model Topper closer to your price point and it has the same DAC chips as the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Topping-ES9038Q2M-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0987SG87T/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_i=B0987SG87T&th=1

Yep, I've looked at some of the Topping things and they are a brand I've read about, too.  That one would be a contender but I'd hate to have to wait on their ship time!  haha.  They had a few other models that fit the bill, too.  Thanks!

42 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Yep, I've looked at some of the Topping things and they are a brand I've read about, too.  That one would be a contender but I'd hate to have to wait on their ship time!  haha.  They had a few other models that fit the bill, too.  Thanks!

The place your looking for in regards to Dac/ streamer reviews and directions to explore  is "Audio Science Review."  I dig the site and it reviews a lot of Dacs,  at all price points.   This being one good recent review.  Also look at Dacs from SMSL on the site. 

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-dx3-pro-review-dac-headphone-amp.27148/ 

I've seen a listing on other forums with someone selling a Cambridge Audio Dac Magic Plus for $250 shipped which seems like a  decent deal.  What I like about that unit is the multiple of inputs as I use USB from PC for streaming Amazon Music HD, Spotify, & JRiver and I also have the optical out from my PS3 and optical from TV.  That part with the inputs would come in handy.  I would set it as fixed output since it would be fed to my preamp; I've read that volume control is a little wonky at best, which wouldn't matter.

Things I don't care about but, if they are there, is fine are:  Volume control, remote control (will be on USB 95% of time), and headphone out (don't own a pair).

2 minutes ago, Shiva said:

The place your looking for in regards to Dac/ streamer reviews and directions to explore  is "Audio Science Review."  I dig the site and it reviews a lot of Dacs,  at all price points.   This being one good recent review.  Also look at Dacs from SMSL on the site. 

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/topping-dx3-pro-review-dac-headphone-amp.27148/ 

Oh yeah....I've looked on there.  I've read from various forums that place is a hit or miss as Amir, and that website, mainly look at measurements and that's it.  But definitely a site to use for comparison.

Picked up a Lavaudio DS600 (version 2, with BlueTooth) a month ago from Amazon for $170. Wah ... it is now $250 :( Reviews are very decent ( look for DS600 review on AudioScienceReview.com ... for unknown reasons unable to post link ). Supposedly a copy of the Topping D50s. Yes; Chinese copy and had to fight with the manufacturer to get the correct drivers - but have them if you need it. :) First DAC I bought so have nothing else to compare it with :) 

61LMwftfyTL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

18 minutes ago, hanksjim1 said:

Suggest you consider a Schiit Modi Multibit aka "mimby"...lots of reviews/comparison to the $699. bifrost multibit (fairs pretty well if you don't need the upgradable architecture) , etc.

Sounds great to me...ships in 1-3 days

https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

I look a those a lot but the main negative is that I need 2 optical inputs, preferably, for the PS3 and TV.  I'd prefer not to have to switch the optical cable if I didn't have to.  

Just now, avguytx said:

I look a those a lot but the main negative is that I need 2 optical inputs, preferably, for the PS3 and TV.  I'd prefer not to have to switch the optical cable if I didn't have to.  

Your PS3 is hooked up to the TV right so why would you need separate outputs, can't you direct the PS3 audio out through the TV output ?

4 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Your PS3 is hooked up to the TV right so why would you need separate outputs, can't you direct the PS3 audio out through the TV output ?

Now that you mention it, I need to check that and see.  But, my TV only has 2 HDMI inputs and I have an HDMI switcher (2 in/1 out) because I have 3 HDMI's; from my PC (DP to HDMI adapter direct to TV), the PS3, and a Firestick.  Maybe I can reconfigure that to need only one optical.  Obviously I don't need audio from the PC as it goes through the USB which leaves the PS3 and Firestick.  If both go through the HDMI switcher, that may alleviate the one optical.  Surely that little switcher passes audio.

Heck, the Schitt Modius gets quite good ratings from the ASR website.  Too bad it's 6 to 8 weeks out or I'd really consider it more.  I guess I'll be wasting money on the ones with Balanced inputs and outputs as my Carver gear is unbalanced RCA's.  I might not be able to hear those intricate differences anyway.

@jjptkd  Which Topping was it you bought?  

4 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Heck, the Schitt Modius gets quite good ratings from the ASR website.  Too bad it's 6 to 8 weeks out or I'd really consider it more.  I guess I'll be wasting money on the ones with Balanced inputs and outputs as my Carver gear is unbalanced RCA's.  I might not be able to hear those intricate differences anyway.

@jjptkd  Which Topping was it you bought?  

System:

Custom  Klipsch KPT-335's

Sunfire TGP-IV Processor

Topping DX-7 Pro DAC

Carver Crimson 275 Tube Amp

• Like 1

I had never heard of the brand before but was thinking about buying a Tube pre and needed a DAC when @Westcoastdrums put this one up for sale for a reasonable price so I grabbed it up-- I'm very glad I did as I was seriously considering buying another Benchmark DAC at almost 3 times the price. It's a very nice sounding DAC made such a large improvement in my system I actually decided to hold off on the Tube Pre.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

I had never heard of the brand before but was thinking about buying a Tube pre and needed a DAC when @Westcoastdrums put this one up for sale for a reasonable price so I grabbed it up-- I'm very glad I did as I was seriously considering buying another Benchmark DAC at almost 3 times the price. It's a very nice sounding DAC made such a large improvement in my system I actually decided to hold off on the Tube Pre.

I no lie to you mang.   Glad you like it. It's one of my favorite DACs I owned. I would have kept it did I not need a hotter signal out and eq.   Allowed me to not need a Preamp.  

• Like 1