Miracle whip

jason str

My brother is just shy of being a prepper. That's what I've begun to say about him since being in close proximity way too much. He told me not to get mayo when at the store back when I started camping out here. Said he had an extra...

I'll never use this before it goes bad, it's impossible unless it was in a house with four sandwich eating teens!

PXL-20211118-175352477.jpg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, JohnJ said:

My brother is just shy of being a prepper. That's what I've begun to say about him since being in close proximity way too much. He told me not to get mayo when at the store back when I started camping out here. Said he had an extra...

I'll never use this before it goes bad, it's impossible unless it was in a house with four sandwich eating teens!

Reminded me to update my yellow mustard. Expired.

• Haha 1

Great thread, I haven't had Miracle Whip since I lived at home. My mother was keen on it. Going to try some as an experiment.

We usually use the olive oil Hellmans. I have not seen Duke's for sale in Canada, could be around but I've not ran into it anywhere.

On a similar note to Jason str, I went way back to my childhood and picked up some Marmite a couple weeks ago. Used to have it when we were kids. My father and paternal grandparents were Brits who immigrated to Canada in the 50s. Very popular with Brits and expats. There is an Australian version called Vegemite. One taste took me back and I'm surprised it slipped out of my life for 40 years. My wife is still on the fence. One of those tastes that most either love or hate.

Marmite.jpg

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2021 at 8:28 AM, The Dude said:

It must be a Midwestern Baby Boomer thing, but around here they love that crap.  Its all I ever knew until I was about 15 or 16.  I remember one summer we visited family in Kentucky and I was riding along with great uncle to the sale barn.  We stopped at a deli to get some sandwiches and I remember saying "and i mean mayo, not that salad dressing $hit" .   That got me thinking, so I asked mom, what's difference, she basically said he was refering to real mayo versus miracle whip.   When I returned home I started working at McDonalds where they used real mayo.  Someway somehow I managed to get a taste and realized that this is why I have never liked what my family here in Nebraska served. From then on it was real mayo, I like prefer the stuff with olive oil rather it be Hellmann's or Kraft.  My wife used the Avocado stuff and to me its nasty.  Still a real mayo guy here. 

Now my folks are hooked on some salad dressing with splenda.  

We prefer the olive oil Hellmanns as well.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2021 at 5:06 PM, jason str said:

Not as good as I remembered.

IMG_20211101_101433487.thumb.jpg.fa23edbe535d6af5deafd2b8d16af5af.jpg

Avoiding deli lines and old packaged meat I bake or grill a big chicken breast or sometimes turkey. Half sandwich on rye bread and handful of chips is my secret weight loss tool. 

Thought I'd try a change from the usual Hellmann's and spicy mustard mix. Other stuff goes on too but I like a nice sloppy coat of mess before anything goes on.

Yeah, no. Way sweeter from what I remembered growing up. Probably throwing it out.

Excrement in a jar

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2021 at 1:00 PM, JohnJ said:

Funny , my neighbors across the street did not bother to refrigerate mayo ; 5 teens .

• Like 2

• Moderators

You want efficiency in your sandwich lube.  

One of the grandkids when little did not like the idea of mayo, we told her it was sandwich sauce and she was good for another 1.5 years until she grew up a little and realize what happened.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2