Suggestion needed on purchasing old speakers for listening the opera

Soisson

Hey, guys:

I would like to have your suggestion on purchasing some old model speakers.

I'm checking my local CL, there are some old model speakers: KF-28, R-28F, R-26FA, Definitive Technology BP-10 etc.

Basically I'm using that to listen the opera, nothing else. So I'm really want to have wonderful mid-range, not really care about the low end, and the super high end since the opera singer's frequency range are all in the middle. Even the classical music band are almost in the middle frequency range as well.

I'm not building HT, but 2.1 should be quite enough for me.

Also, I don't want to spend some 1000+ for the latest model, like RP-8000 or so, just wanna to see if some older model should save a lot.

I have a DENON ARV-3806, and the room is about 9ft by 13ft.

Question is:

1) How do you guys think about KF-28?

2) How about R-26FA? It's surrounding type of speaker, can it be used as main?

3) Any other model would you recommend for the opera?

Thank you so much.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soisson said:

Hey, guys:

I would like to have your suggestion on purchasing some old model speakers.

I'm checking my local CL, there are some old model speakers: KF-28, R-28F, R-26FA, Definitive Technology BP-10 etc.

Basically I'm using that to listen the opera, nothing else. So I'm really want to have wonderful mid-range, not really care about the low end, and the super high end since the opera singer's frequency range are all in the middle. Even the classical music band are almost in the middle frequency range as well.

I'm not building HT, but 2.1 should be quite enough for me.

Also, I don't want to spend some 1000+ for the latest model, like RP-8000 or so, just wanna to see if some older model should save a lot.

I have a DENON ARV-3806, and the room is about 9ft by 13ft.

Question is:

1) How do you guys think about KF-28?

2) How about R-26FA? It's surrounding type of speaker, can it be used as main?

3) Any other model would you recommend for the opera?

Thank you so much.

welcome to the klipsch forum ,  question ? ........what is your location , this would help us send you some speaker deals  that could help you

1 hour ago, wuzzzer said:

If you want midrange, look for a three way design.  Heresy, forte, Chorus, Quartet, KLF-20 or 30, etc.

All good suggestions.

Heresys will sound great for your purpose and there are a lot out there on the used market. The others are good too but harder to find and bigger.

• Like 2

Yes on the Heresy models, original or the II, III, or current IV. Prices will usually increase as they get newer.

All about the same size, around 2 feet tall, 14 inches wide...

I've heard the originals, have a pair of the HIIs. Classical and orchestras sounds wonderful on them, acoustic music clear and full.

Bruce

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soisson said:

Thank you all for the suggestions.

I never thought to go that old model like Heresy. And I checked the ebay about them, the price is not cheap at all.

Any how, I need to do some research before I can have an idea.

Yes, ebay is not the best source for price or the buying of them. 

Had a pair of LaScala in a small room for a bit.

Classical music, opera sound decent to say the least.

2 hours ago, Soisson said:

I never thought to go that old model like Heresy.

Welcome to the klipsch forum -1st of all , let's make it a point here , klipsch speakers are expensive  and more so , the klipsch Heritage speakers -Heresy-Cornwall-Lascala-Khorn-Jubilee 2021 (35k$ )

I think you did not know that the Heresy1 is an exceptional speaker ----now 500-600$ for a Heresy is a bargain  , a new pair of Heresy IV  costs  3200$ /+shipping and taxes , it's an amazing speaker with Opera -

the Heresy 1 uses the k55V  mids driver and the K77 tweeter -the 2 drivers were used in the Khorn and Lascala up until 2 years ago , the current khorn and lascala still use the k55V-

-if you can find another speaker that sounds as good as the Heresy 1, with  opera  for less than 6-700$   buy it  asap-

• Like 1

Yes 5 to be expected for Heresy nowaday.

LaScala still happen at bargain range.

To tell you the jist of it, cannot think of a Klipsch floorstanders or bookshelf, that would not sound good with Operatic Classical music.

Let us know if can help.

Welcome!