A55G version II

rmlowz

1 hour ago, rmlowz said:

Any forum members have these? How does it compare to the original K55V etc. I was thinking on trying a pair? 

Rich

Looking at Crites website it appears they are the only ones available now shame the price has jumped so much ($100) from the original version. They seem to think highly of them claim there is a noticeable difference from the original.

I may have to order a pair and try them out, compare them to an original pair i have on hand.

"Today we are announcing the A-55G/2 driver. With some further finessing of the diaphragm, John Allen worked with the manufacturer to further enhance and improve the original A-55G with even lower distortion. With the manufacturing changes and challenges, the pricing for these new and improved drivers will be $450/pair plus shipping.

Here is the flyer from John Allen announcing the new driver:" 

new-a-55-g_2_med.jpeg

I replaced the diaphragms in the K55V  and WOW , the new parts are definitely  improved with new Leads and what seems to be a better diaphragm  -

if I had to do it again , I would  buy new PD5VH   since the soldering of the new types of leads ( round wire ) can be a bit tricky - 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RandyH001 said:

I replaced the diaphragms in the K55V  and WOW , the new parts are definitely  improved with new Leads and what seems to be a better diaphragm  -

if I had to do it again , I would  buy new PD5VH   since the soldering of the new types of leads ( round wire ) can be a bit tricky - 

Admittedly I've never heard brand new k-55 drivers I seem to remember @Deang compared a pair of the k-55v soldered lugs with new diaphragms to the original A55-g and found them comparable, wonder how this newer version would compare? 

Either way by the time you pay for a used pair of soldered lug drivers and add cost of new diaphragms you'd likely be at or above the cost of the A55-g's.

I guess if you're saying the new single phase plug k-55's sound as good as the dual phase plug version with new diaphragms that may be the cheapest, best way to go.  

43 minutes ago, rmlowz said:

Nothing wrong, always like to try different sounds. Sometimes I get a Winner!

there is something wrong , the K55V is an old driver -

you'll get the same results out of a new pair of Atlas PDV5H at a lower cost than the A55G  , or  by upgrading the  old K55V with new diaphragms ,   the old diaphragms are tired after + 40 years old --plus the newer diaphragms are  better made than 40 years ago -

The k55X  .......PD5VH is an Alnico driver  ,  Made in the USA ,  the driver  still used in the AL5-AK6 --

I have old K55V without dual phase plug from 1977 with brand new original Atlas diaphragms from Crites. I am very satisfied but still I will have them remagnetized in the near future for the peace of mind.

I would love to compare them with the new A-55-G or G2. Well, regardless all the possible improvements of the A-55-G, I must say that I am an Alnico fan. 

I know that these are two different aspects. On the one hand innovation of the diaphragm and the phase plug, on the other hand the material of the magnet.
But I would have liked to see the new A-55-G driver also be an Alnico.
I remember darkly that not everyone liked the A-55-G because its opening diameter at the horn connection is different from the Atlas driver?

14 minutes ago, RandyH001 said:

there is something wrong , the K55V is an old driver -

you'll get the same results out of a new pair of Atlas PDV5H at a lower cost than the A55G  , or  by upgrading the  old K55V with new diaphragms ,   the old diaphragms are tired after + 40 years old --plus the newer diaphragms are  better made than 40 years ago -

The k55X  .......PD5VH is an Alnico driver  ,  Made in the USA ,  the driver  still used in the AL5-AK6 --

Who made the Driver before AL5 and AK6?

13 minutes ago, rmlowz said:

Who made the Driver before AL5 and AK6?

it's the same driver --the only difference with a K55X single phase plug driver PD5VH  is a newer diaphragm and there are solder lugs versus push pins

45 minutes ago, tromprof said:

I have pretty much all of the old K55 driver variations (maybe time to sell off a few?).

I now have the K55 G2 in my Cornwalls and several Heresys. Georgious sounding driver, totally worth the price IMO.

Thats what I was hoping to hear I just ordered a pair

Thanks

Rich

4 hours ago, RandyH001 said:

What diaphragms did you use?

I have pretty much all of the old K55 driver variations (maybe time to sell off a few?).
I now have the K55 G2 in my Cornwalls and several Heresys. Georgious sounding driver, totally worth the price IMO.

There is a K55 G2 driver? Or did you mean the A55G/2 driver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

Let's wait for Randy's answer. I used this one, from Michael Crites, very good quality.

1 hour ago, KT88 said:

Let's wait for Randy's answer. I used this one, from Michael Crites, very good quality.

65C2F373-4A7C-466F-80BD-0AB097CF853E.jpeg

yep , that's the one ---