A55G version II

rmlowz

On 11/5/2021 at 11:49 AM, jjptkd said:

I seem to remember @Deang compared a pair of the k-55v soldered lugs with new diaphragms to the original A55-g and found them comparable

Yes. I suspected that what people might be mostly hearing (and measuring) is the difference between an old driver and a new driver.

I would encourage everyone with 30-50 year old K-55s to replace the diaphragms. 

It is simply amazing what the human ear can get used to.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Deang said:

Gary Gillum of Klipsch came up with the two piece design, and PK had Atlas put it into production. 

The "G" in the A55-G model name is a nod to Gillum.

He is also the "G" in the KG series of loudspeakers.

I have a recorded interview with Gary Gillum from 2008, right before his 70's Birthday. Not sure if he's still growing a garden on his property.

He is also the co-designer and patent holder of the MWM woofer section. He told me 3 times during the interview that it was made for a K-33 woofer and it's still the best woofer section he ever heard. He also made some improvements to it for John Allen, since he and his son built all those along with the 555 speaker for the same guy.

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

He told me 3 times during the interview that it was made for a K-33 woofer and it's still the best woofer section he ever heard.

They sound so good with the K-43s... I hate to think of switching them out.

9 hours ago, Marvel said:

They sound so good with the K-43s... I hate to think of switching them out.

They are more "bassy" with K-33's. The K-43's higher BL product gives them better output at 400 Hz. along with higher power handling for playing "stupid loud" in big rooms. Like the old saying: "If the only tool you have is a Hammer, everything starts to look like a Nail!"

Back in the 70's, the only woofer that Klipsch was using was a K-33 for all of their speakers. This includes Khorns, LaScalas, Cornwalls, MWMs, and even the never released LB-76 (Little Bastard). So just because it was developed using their only woofer at the time, 45 years ago, doen't mean there are/were no other choices.

So pick your favorite "curve tilt." Besides, since they use Milliwatts, it's easy to EQ them anyway you like. Just because that horn was developed with K-33's doesn't mean K-43's don't work as well in the same horn, which were actually developed by Eminence for that horn, since the PA Idiots were burning up woofers with too much power. K-43's are simply more rugged too.

I experienced this by having different drivers in my MWMs and Quarter Pies, for simulation AND real measurements in a real room. With extensive listening sessions as well. Plus, it's another vote for applying modern Digital Crossovers with lots of cheap chip amps for the PEQ's and time delays. Something promoted by Roy Delgado and Chris Askew. No need to switch.

Conclusion: The song "Don't Worry, Be Happy," by Bobby McFerrin shall apply here!

As to the K-55 variants (a, b, c, d, e, f, g, Whatever) it's still a phenolic diaphragm with a small throat and a dual phase plug with a mud magnet instead of Alnico. Let's not "wax poetic" about a driver that only works better because of it's youth rather than it's fundamental design!

If you want a real HUGE improvement, use a larger driver and horn.................................just sayin'.

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

They are more "bassy" with K-33's. The K-43's higher BL product gives them better output at 400 Hz. along with higher power handling for playing "stupid loud" in big rooms. Like the old saying: "If the only tool you have is a Hammer, everything starts to look like a Nail!"

So pick your favorite "curve tilt." Besides, since they use Milliwatts, it's easy to EQ them anyway you like. Just because that horn was developed with K-33's doesn't mean K-43's don't work as well in the same horn, which were actually developed by Eminence for that horn, since the PA Idiots were burning up woofers with too much power. K-43's are simply more rugged too.

the K43 may no longer be in production  by klipsch   ...............since the K33E   Part #121501. Old part #15162  is being mentioned as the replacement for the K43E     ----so the question ?  does the new K33E takes over for both the older k33 and K43

- the   klipsch   Cinema brochures do not mention which of  the k33 or k43  are used in the KPT-1515-LF  -

https://d2um2qdswy1tb0.cloudfront.net/product-specsheets/KPT-Cinema-Grandeur-Data-Sheet-v03.pdf

https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/klipsch-k-33-e-woofer-121501/

9 minutes ago, RandyH001 said:

the K43 may no longer be in production  by klipsch  

It never was produced by Klipsch. Eminence was, and still is their primary woofer supplier for Pro and Heritage. I fail to get the reason for your post, since the MWM and the Pro LaScala were the reasons the K-43 was created in the first place (POWER HANDLING) has not been used in production for a long time (unless it's being used in the shallower bass horn replacments, so no need for K-43's except as replacements for old serial numbers. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

It never was produced by Klipsch. Eminence was, and still is their primary woofer supplier for Pro and Heritage. I fail to get the reason for your post, since the MWM and the Pro LaScala were the reasons the K-43 was created in the first place (POWER HANDLING) has not been used in production for a long time (unless it's being used in the shallower bass horn replacments, so no need for K-43's except as replacements for old serial numbers. 

I was  wondering which of the  K43  or the k33 are  used in the KPT-MCM  series    , or is it none of the above and klipsch now use the K-45   The cinema brochure does not state     which woofer model is used  by klipsch for  the KPT-1515-LF  - 

As far as  the new K33E Part #121501. it is the current replacement for  k33 round or square magnet  and the K43 -

1 hour ago, RandyH001 said:

I was  wondering which of the  K43  or the k33 are  used in the KPT-MCM  series    , or is it none of the above and klipsch now use the K-45   The cinema brochure does not state     which woofer model is used  by klipsch for  the KPT-1515-LF  - 

As far as  the new K33E Part #121501. it is the current replacement for  k33 round or square magnet  and the K43 -

Highly doubt a pair of K33 could withstand 90+ Volts.

3 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

As to the K-55 variants (a, b, c, d, e, f, g, Whatever) it's still a phenolic diaphragm with a small throat and a dual phase plug with a mud magnet instead of Alnico. Let's not "wax poetic" about a driver that only works better because of it's youth rather than it's fundamental design!

If you want a real HUGE improvement, use a larger driver and horn.................................just sayin'.

I'm not waxing poetic about anything. I have some K69As sitting here, some 2 inch throat horns, amps and digital crossover. Just waiting until I get the LS moved off to my son's in a week (and they don't have K55s in them, either, but some EV 1828s... another small throat driver). I do need to get some XLRs and other cable, but it won't be long.

It's all good.