lascala vs. cornwall

prodj101

Prod----Objectively the LaScala gets louder and with less distortion in the bass and lower midrange but it doesn't go as deep in the bass. Subjectively---in my opinion the Cornwall has a much better tonal balance. I find the bass-shyness of the LaScala makes it sound squawky, thin and tiresome. The fuller and more accurate tonal balance of the Cornwall makes it listenable for long periods of time. I've owned both LaScalas and Cornwalls.

The subjective stuff is my opinion, others will disagree.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

• Like 1

I've been loving the new obsessions with the Scalas here.

"We compared it with Cornwall head on, and it blew the Cornwall into sawdust."

"The Scalas are incredible, you gotta hear these things."

"Unriveled detail. The Cornwall can't keep up."

A month later...

"Yeah, I'm going to mod mine, how about you? Gonna try the A' the AA's and the ALKs. Then I'm gonna throw in a 511, or maybe an 811. Then I'm going to turn 'em around and have them face the walls -- then go out into the garage and see how they sound.9.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Mike is right.

The Scala has hair trigger dynamics, fast as hell. However, they can be a little tough on the ears when you crank them.

I've actually never heard Cornwalls -- but the consensus seems to be they offer a more full bodied sound, with better balance.

Since you have the killer sub -- you might do alright here. However, crossover as low as you can -- as the advantage with the Scala is the horn loaded bass. So, crossover around 50Hz.

• Like 1

The easiest way to look at the difference between the Cornwall and LaScala sound is to look at the intended applications for each when they were designed!

After PWK designed the K-horn, he embarked on designing speakers to supplement it in a home listening environment. Numerous designs were evolved over the years for that application, some of which went into production. One of these was the Heresy...it being a low-cost small non-corner speaker that could be used for a center-channel in a three-speaker array between two K-horns.

The Cornwall was designed for a home listening environment, originally as a center channel speaker that would provide more bottom-end than a Heresy did between two K-horns. It has a performance that is supposed to provide "fill" where the k-horn doesn't in that application. Although it produces low bass, and provides some good fill there, the K-horns already provided most of the bass necessary in that application.

The LaScala was designed as a stand alone sound reinforcement speaker for stage use. Winthrop Rockefeller told PWK that he wanted a pair of speakers that he could set-up on a flat-bed trailer, and use while he stumped the state of Arkansas on his gubernatorial campaign. He wanted them to sound as close to the K-horn as possible, but be easly transported. The intent was to provide the same top-end as the K-horn, and also provide a folded horn bass bin section that would work in applications where the k-horn was too large and heavy OR had no corners to sit in. The LaScala is a stand alone folded horn, but due to that reason and size limitations, it does not go as deep as the k-horn does in its bass curve. It has the same kind of clarity in its bass as the k-horn does, but just doesn't go as low.

The Cornwall's bass curve tapers off a good bit below that of the LaScala, thereby giving a lower bass response, due to its ported design...which is enhanced by its positioning in corners or along walls.

The LaScala, on the other hand, provides more detail and clarity in what bass it DOES produce, even though it does not reach as low as the Cornwall does!

The fact that many like the LaScala better than the Cornwall for a center channel fill speaker between a pair of K-horns is what led PWK to design the Belle in the first place....he was one of them!! In an application between two K-horns, the LaScala provides identical top-end fill, and SOME bass that is identical to that of the k-horn in its sound, and the k-horns are left to provide the much lower notes the LaScala struggles to get out. With the Cornwall, the bass is there, and it doesn't have to struggle to get those low notes out...but it lacks some of the detail and clarity the folded horn provides.

So...if horn detail and clarity are your wants, and you don't mind giving up some bottom-end bass in the process, then get the LaScala. But if you want a more full-range listening experience, and don't mind losing some of the detail and clarity a folded horn bottom-end provides, then go for the Cornwall! Both are fine speakers!

But, if you can't make up your mind, and you have a place to put them, then just get K-horns instead, so you don't have to deal with the decision! You will probably eventually get them anyway! LOL!

An important point here is this: It is a tribute to PWK that all of these designs of his that were ORIGINALLY intended as SUPPLEMENTS to his K-horns have gathered up such a loyal following over all these years as fine speakers in their own right! It says something for the man that as he designed and produced these, he wanted them to be MORE than just a good supplement, he wanted them to be GOOD SPEAKERS! And all were, and ARE such...even today...so very many years after their introductions!

• Like 3

Pro---LaScalas would be good with subs but only with real good subs capable of as much uncompressed, low distortion output as the LaScalas themselves. That means a single 15 ain't gonna get it. IME you would need at least 4-15s to keep up, 2-18s might too.

If the sub can't keep up with the LaScalas then the sound becomes unbalanced as volume goes up, the LaScalas are getting louder but the sub is compressing, this throws the frequency response off.

thanks for the info. Based on what you said, I think I'd go with the lascala's than. I have an RSW-15 to fill in the bass, so I'd be fine in that department. And I'd rather have clean bass (at least don't to what the lascala's do), and a clearer mid range and high than less accuracy and more bass.

Dean,

In the Klipsch advertising, PWK did say that about the Cornwall, but his inception of it and the reason it was designed to begin with, was to have a center channel speaker that, like the Heresy, didn't have to be in a corner, but unlike the Heresy, gave performance closer to that of the K-horn in its bottom-end! This being achieved in a speaker that was still lower in cost than a K-horn...and, if possible, used the same driver components of the K-horn.

Of course, after one designs and builds a speaker to fit one's original parameters, other qualities it has tend to be noticed, too! And its cost, performance, and placement possibilities gave it its name and provided its direction in marketing!

i have both...LaScalas and Cornwalls,,,when i a/b them,LaScala sounds better,,,,but when i combine them both when watching dvds you cant tell them apart.....years ago when i was buying my LaScalas i A/B the Belles and the LaScalas,,,,,Scalas still sounded better in the voice department..that big squawker horn does it i think....if you want to come by and give them a listen come on by....rick tate

what are the la scala components, particularly the squaker. i just built a pair of cornwalls, and wired them last night. i have never listened to cornwalls before, but after all the good reviews in this forum i dicided to build a pair. i have owned two pair of heresy's for 16 years. i gave the cornwalls a listen this morning, and i have mixed feelings. they seemed bright, and very vocaly. very simular to my heresey's, but were bass enriched. is this normal for cornwalls? they were wired to a harmon karden high current, and a denon cd player. the cornwall components were a little different than stock. k77m,k57,k33e with a B network with solen caps. i think the k57 is the cause of the ear bleed, thats why i would like to know the la scala squaker.

I have LaScalas, Cornwalls and Chorus 1's in the same room. All sound good but the LaScalas end up getting listened to the most in two channel. To me, the LaScalas sound better in every way than the other two. The real match up is between the Cornwalls and Chorus. I just can really tell no difference between those two sets of speakers.

Bob