lascala vs. cornwall

prodj101

For any given year, the Lascala shared the same tweeter, mid-range driver, and woofer with the Cornwall, the difference was in the crossover network, the mid-horn lens and the fact the Cornwall has a ported cabinet and the Lascala has a folded horn for its bottom end. The Lascala shares the same mid horn as the K-horn does.

I find it strange that your Cornwalls sound brite to you when you are already used to Heresys...unless something is wrong with the way you built them and ported the enclosure...they SHOULD sound more like Heresys with a deeper/fuller bottom end and a bit more SPL for the wattage thrown into them!!

your right hdbrbuilder, they sound very much like my heresy's with alot of bass. i like the bass. very full bodied, but they seem to be brighter than my heresy's. i have'nt listened to cornwalls before today, so i'm not sure if that's normal. maybe i just need to listen to them for awhile to get used to them, like heresy's, or maybe that k57 is brighter than a k55. could it be the solen caps need run time? i have to run bass tone control @ 2 oclock and the treble @ 10 oclock. i tested with the judds,korn, and some jazz. the judds come acrossed them very well. i know the disliking is in the mid range. they sound simular to standing directly in front of a stage with the monitors pointing right at you. very loud vocals. dave

Pro-DJ

One more thing to conisder is the fact that you are using McIntosh to drive your speakers. Sincy you are using very good sources, I would opt for the more detailed sound of the LAS.

The K400 is not forgiving to low end equipment. It will show any flaw with flying colors.

The CornW is much more forgiving to lower quality components.

I think the majority of the people who complain about Khorns and LAS being too harsh in the midrange etc etc. you know the ones who complain about the so called "Klipsh sound" are people who have tried to drive them with crappy equipment.

JM

Pro---Believe what you want my friend but a single 15" direct-radiator ain't gonna keep up with a pair of basshorns, that's a physical fact and not a matter of opinion. Now some people like the combination, Christ knows why, if someone would like that combination I have to wonder if the horn-loading above their small sub is totally wasted on them.

You use horns for a reason---low distortion, superb dynamics and high output. A single 15 will not have these virtues to anywhere near the extent that horns do.

To me running 2 basshorns above, oh say 70hz, and a single 15" direct-radiator below 70hz is like running a 427 with full-race cams through a 2 barrel carb. Now if you run 4-15"s instead of one you'll be OK.

Some opinion here but some fact too.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Pro---A couple of DIY horn subs would be hunky-dory. I suggest you learn about the LabHorn sub, designed by Tom Danley of ServoDrive fame. He designed the horn for public use by DIYers. There's a link to info on the Labhorn on my site. Several people I know are working on these, though I haven't heard one yet but the reports are that the things are serious ***-kickers. Bruce Edgars Seismic horn subwoofer is available as a knockdown kit for about $1000, it sounds superb.

However in my opinion (and several of my friends disagree with me here) multiple large direct-radiators have the same advatages as basshorns. They have low distortion because with their large diaphragm area they have very low cone excursion for a given volume, this also ensures high volume and efficiency and superb dynamics. And it's alot easier to build a 16 cubic foot vented box than it is to build folded basshorns.

When I first heard Bruce Edgar's Seismic horn sub I thought I had to have it. But when I got home I realized I was just as satisfied with my multiple JBLs below 100hz and the urge to get the Seismic faded. Note that my Altec A5s are horn-loaded down to about 100hz, almost as low as a LaScala actually is. Now perhaps I'm bullsh*tting myself, one must always gaurd against that with this hobby. At our next horn club meeting a member is gonna bring his Seismic over for a direct shootout with my JBLs, it will be interesting.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Years ago just before I bought my La Scala's. I sold the full heritage line since that is all that was made in 1980. I had the opportunity to by any of them for 2 for the price of 1. I love the sound of the Klipschorn but neither could afford them or place them correctly. However, I could afford anything else in the Klipsch line. Now having the opportunity to listen on a daily basis to the full line I chose the La Scala's. Back then most home enthusiast didn't run a subwoofer anyway. The La Scala's offered true and balanced sound unmatched by anything else on the market.

I have always heard the complaint that they don't go very deep. I have played some very serious music thru them over the years from rock to classical and never ever thought they lacked any bottom end. Yet there are many many systems out there that can give you gut wrenching bass but at what price? Most of them end up lacking greatly in other areas.

My La Scala's provide me with the type of bass that enable me to feel the kick drum while listening to the bass player running up and down his guitar and distinctly here the difference without any mud in the middle. They will make my bones rattle from the 30 cycle pipe organ be played through them yet never straining. Now we all know that Klipsch was always a little loosey goosey in specs and always said bull**** to others.

I hate the fact that people think we are bright in our mids and highs. I hate listening to speakers that are so flat and you have to feed 3/4 of them with so much power just to get them to sound decent. I want true live sound when I listen to music. I don't want my speakers to be tamed. When I go to a concert and the artist really took into consideration the sound system, gee what do we see? Great horns and bass bins

Now I added a KSW12 to add a little bit more LFE for movies because of the .1 in the 5.1. However, I do run the bass settings to include my La Scala's receiving LFE plus my sub. I find this to be great for movies and DVDA discs

I will put my La Scala's up against anything but a Klipschorn.

9.gif

s-dog, its like they go out of their way to make it confusing. 1.gif when they say like fronts+lfe they're talking from the sub's perspective. they mean the sub gets both (not the fronts).

i enjoyed your las comments & agree. when i get the room, i hope to get khorns w/ a las or belle center.

great post earlier by builder on the heritage history too. very informative, as are other posts here.

La Scala vs. Cornwall:

I have owned both speakers (and still own La Scalas). The simplest difference between the two is as has already been mentioned -- the Cornwalls go deeper in bass and the La Scalas have tighter, more dynamice bass. When I owned Cornwalls, I always wanted La Scalas as I liked them better when I first heard them. After acquiring the La Scalas and being able to listen to them in detail, I had a better feel for how they compared to the Cornwalls. I wasn't able to compare the two side-by-side. As a stand-alone system, for two-channel music, I think I would prefer the Cornwalls as I did notice a lack of deep bass with the La Scalas. While I think both are very good speakers, I would probably be able to live with the Cornwalls more than the La Scalas. Now, if you can add a good sub, then maybe the La Scalas could be a better option. Just heed the advice of TBrennan, you need a good sub for music. If you're only doing this for movies, then I don't believe the sub is a critical. The RSW-15 is a very good sounding sub, but I don't know that it can match the La Scalas dynamics on it's own.