lascala vs. cornwall

prodj101

On 6/7/2023 at 5:29 AM, ckn said:

Thanks guys. 
So one of the two (LS or CW) is decided.
Just need to check which is affordable right now. 

start off with Heresy speakers , if you like the klipsch sound ,  then move up to the  Forte ,  Cornwalls have tons of bass  ,  the LS  not so much .

If you can afford it, I would go with the LS.

New or used? The Cornwall and La Scala have both been improved, but the LS  will best the Cornwall if you are using 300b amps. The horn loaded woofer will have cleaner bass. I always believe the horn loaded bass trumps (sorry...) direct radiator bass.

• Like 1

I've had a pair of 1985 Cornwalls for about 20 years now. When I got them they sounded so good I swore I would never sell them. In fact, the guy I bought them from lived in a rowhouse and had to sell due to noise complaints. He moved a few years later and reached out to me to see if I would sell them back. I had to decline, even at significant financial benefit. They were just that good! 

Yesterday I bought a near mint pair of 1985 La Scala's in raw birch. Removed the Cornwalls from my system and installed the La Scala's. My first impression was instant, the La Scala's seemed so much more musical and the sound seemed to float from them with no effort. After some serious listening for 4 hours across all genres, I was still just amazed at how easy they handled it. Don't worry about any loss of bass, the overall response is simply jaw dropping.

FYI, using a Tascam cd player and 200 wpc Anthem power amp with TLP1 line preamp, I will be trying some tube gear with my vinyl and will give a report on that if anyone wants to hear it. 

PXL_20230618_194050989~2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1