Anthem ARC vs DiracLive

Foxman

I posted this on another forum where I had asked about the difference between these competing room calibration products. Just a follow-up for anyone who might have the same question I had regarding the difference between ARC and DiracLive. On my system, DiracLive seemed to soften or numb the highest frequencies in its calibration. The DiracLive calibration made a stunning difference in my room, in fact, it was the best my system had ever previously sounded by a wide margin. It was my first experience with room calibration of any type.

Full disclosure, I was running a Processor that pre-dated HDMI. A 2001/2002 Rotel unit that still performed as well as the day I brought it home. I matched it with a MiniDSP DDRC-88A/B with DiracLive which fed into my 5x120w Rotel Amp. I transitioned to a 2016 model Anthem AVR as a processor running the same Rotel Amp. Could that be the cause of the outcome? Perhaps to a degree. I felt that while running the Anthem (no ARC) and the DiracLive with the MiniDSP, I heard a more lively sound than using the Rotel processor, but not nearly as lively as when I ran ARC and pulled Dirac out of the line.

I was skeptical about the quality of ARC and reluctant to let go of my stand-alone DiracLive box because I had a pre-disposed bias toward Dirac based on my experience with the results of Dirac and with some who said DiracLive was the best of the room calibration software. I also thought the ARC microphone wasn't up to the task comparative to the Umic-1, again, just based on so much praise for Umic-1.

A couple of observations about ARC. 1st, ARC provided a much more lively result than DiracLive. Back are my higher frequencies that I was missing, which I mistook for just the result of room correction on Dirac's calibration of my room. 2nd, ARC appears to be a more advanced calibration specific to Anthem products in that it discovers the sweet spot for the crossover point on all channels relative to that speaker's performance. Normally, I would have balked at this because it set a crossover point for my center at an unusually high crossover (180) compared to the setting I would have chosen (80). Why is that? Because in my system, since Klipsch does not make a true (traditional) Heritage center for my Forte speaker's, I was forced to compromise either timbre by using another Klipsch center or a make and model with matching timbre, in my case, the Crites Center channel designed to timbre match the Heritage.... but is a 4ohm speaker with different capabilities. So, the sweet spot for the crossover is what it is. Amazingly, based on the content I have watched so far, that high crossover point has not created the obvious localized bass response from my subs that I would have suspected. So, in addition to the return of the full benefit of my system's high frequency, the net result is a much better calibration of my speaker's capabilities, which has yielded a much more robust sound output. Finally, overall, so far, I feel as though ARC is a better product, at least a more advanced product. 

I still have much to learn about ARC and how to tweak the calibration, and I still have much content to watch/listen to observing the nuances, but the early results are, ARC is better, not by a mile, but better non-the-less. I hope this helps someone else down the road.