Deaf People "feeling" the Beat...

Coytee

Watched a show that had three survivors of Ted Bundy.   Each had been violated in one way or another but, not killed. (glad that dude got the electric chair)

One of them was a dance major.  Said after she 'got over' her attack, one thing she did was she went to a different college, taught deaf people to dance.  Went on to say that they used the vibrations from the beat to keep time with the music.

That got me wondering....  would a deaf person notice any sonic differences between the visceral energy imparted by a traditional woofer/subwoofer verses a horn loaded woofer/subwoofer?

Would they describe it in some of the terms a hearing person might?  (more verses less distorted, better impact, more verses less rumble, cleaner....  (can't think of all the comments we might use)  Comparing it to a deaf person, do those of us that enjoy the difference, enjoy it because we can "hear" it....  or is it the/a tactile difference?  If we "hear" it, then a deaf person might not enjoy the difference between the two???  If it is the tactile difference, could they differentiate which is which?

Just one of my wonderments on a Sunday morning as I sit here preparing for my upcoming work week.  

Now that I think of all the above.....  I recall that one of the places I cover for work is the TN School for the Deaf.  I might inquire about this next time I'm there.  

• Like 1