Multichannel Preamp - Are there even any left?

Baloo

Hello all,

I am trying to track down a reasonably priced multichannel preamp to use with my vintage surround sound setup. I am using a Luxman R-115 that I love the sound of and was given to me, along with a Luxman F-114 surround sound amp. These devices have main-ins, so I use it with a separate preamp/processor, the very old Technics SH-AC500D. It does Dolby Digital and DTS, but does not have a second set of multichannel inputs to plug my oppo BDP-103 into, and its multichannel input is taken up by the pre-out RCA cables from both Luxmans. So I am only able to get great stereo analog sound from the Oppo. I don't even need a processor as I use my Oppo BDP-103 to play everything and don't have a 4K TV or 4K UHD player. I don't have space for a 7.1 setup or Atmos speakers in my ceiling, and honestly I find the idea of those setups wasteful. But I do own a few 5.1 multichannel SACDs that I would like to try out, like The Carpenters Singles and Carole King's Tapestry. What are my options for replacing this Technics with? I have tracked down a few old models:

Parasound P7 (Though my setup is only 5.1, this is the only 7-ch multichannel preamp I have found)

Sony TA-P9000ES

McCormick MAP-1

Bel Canto Pre6

Linn Exotik

These all are models over ten years old, rarely come up for sale, and cost a significant amount of money used. And honestly, looking at eBay listings I dont really want to spend $1000 for one of these used preamps for a system that overall, speakers, amps subwoofer and Oppo BDP included, I have spent $1400 total on. Are there any other options for some kind of preamp or surround sound processor that would have two sets of multichannel inputs and allow me to get full, uncompressed loseless surround sound audio and SACD 5.1 channel surround sound to my existing amps? I will even take a DAC that can convert HDMI to 5.1 multichannel audio so long as it also has at least one multichannel input. Thank you.

Edited by Baloo

May not be what you are looking for but I have a couple of Integra DHC-80.3 pre/pros (one is currently a spare).  Excellent units with very good dacs that will also decode SACDs. I am currently using one in my Klipschorn/K402 combo.

I paid under $500 for each (possibly well under, I don't remember the exact cost). It also has 5.1 analog inputs.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pbphoto said:

Why are your Luxmans using the multi-channel input on your Technics processor?

It is a little bit of a complex setup. The F-114 is both a dolby pro logic processor and a separate amp with main-ins, designed to add surround sound to the R-115. The F-114 has a line in input for the R-115 signal processor and then (normally) uses jumper bars from the pre-out variable RCA jacks to the main in jacks. I was under the impression that you could not use the main in ports on a receiver without also using the pre-out ports that power it. So this is how the setup looks.

R-115 Signal Processor out to Line in on F-114

F-114 Front Pre Out (variable) to Multichannel Front L/R input on Technics.

F-114 center pre-out (variable) to center in on Technics.

F-114 rear pre-out to multichannel input on Technics.

Technics rear and center multichannel analog output to F-114 main in ports

Technics front multichannel outputs to Signal processor input on R-115.

If there is a way I can use the main ins and signal processor ports on my receiver without having to use the pre-out ports, I am all ears, but I thought by doing that I would short or damage my speakers or receivers.

Edited by Baloo

OP:

Do you need HDMI switching (e.g., switch between Blu-ray player, cable TV, etc.)?  If so, have you considered an AVR with line-level audio outputs vs. a pre-processor? 

A complete list of your sources (e.g., turntable, Oppo BDP-103, HDMI interface from cable box, etc.) would be helpful in understanding your needs.  Do you have a device that can deliver 5.1 analog audio RCA connections for your TV service?  Do you own powered subwoofer(s)?

FWIW, I own Oppo UDP-205 (x2), BDP-105, and BDP-95, installed in 4 different multi-channel systems (i.e., 4 different listening rooms).    No AVR, multi-channel pre-processor, or multi-channel pre-amp is involved in any of these systems.   I can provide a description of my implementations if you’d like, however, my use cases are probably different from yours.  

1 hour ago, robert_kc said:

OP:

Do you need HDMI switching (e.g., switch between Blu-ray player, cable TV, etc.)?  If so, have you considered an AVR with line-level audio outputs vs. a pre-processor? 

A complete list of your sources (e.g., turntable, Oppo BDP-103, HDMI interface from cable box, etc.) would be helpful in understanding your needs.  Do you have a device that can deliver 5.1 analog audio RCA connections for your TV service?  Do you own powered subwoofer(s)?

FWIW, I own Oppo UDP-205 (x2), BDP-105, and BDP-95, installed in 4 different multi-channel systems (i.e., 4 different listening rooms).    No AVR, multi-channel pre-processor, or multi-channel pre-amp is involved in any of these systems.   I can provide a description of my implementations if you’d like, however, my use cases are probably different from yours.  

Hi Robert_kc,

Thanks for the post. My Luxman R-115 already has a working phono stage input for my Luxman P-102 turntable, so that is not necessary on any AVR.

My

I do not have a 4K TV. I do not need any kind of HDMI switching or 4k passthrough from my AVR.

My TV is a Panasonic VIERA 32" from 2013 that does 240p to 1080p just fine and has sufficient inputs for all of my sources. It has 3 HDMI inputs ARC and digital optical audio output so I can use my old game systems with it alongside my Oppo and it all looks good enough for me.

The Oppo BDP-103 is the device I am looking to fully use to deliver 5.1 analog sound from the rest of my devices to my amps. I dont want to use it as a preamp as I know it cannot be used that way, but it works great as a processor for all necessary formats.

I have the following devices:

Oppo BDP-103 for all disc media and Tidal music playback (Used for DVDs, Blu-Rays, SACD, DVD-A).

Nintendo Wii connected via component cables. (Currently I access the sound from this through either the ARC port on the TV to the Oppo or the digital optical audio output from my TV.)

A SNES Classic Mini and a NES Classic Mini connected via HDMI, which I also use the Oppo's ARC feature or the digital optical audio out port to the Technics to use.

An old Sega Genesis connected to composite RCA. 

I own an Apple TV 4K for all streaming and television watching, currently connected through the HDMI Input on the Oppo. I use an HDHomeRun to watch television through an antenna. I have no cable hookup or need for one.

My subwoofer is an older Klipsch SW-V 8" powered subwoofer with both RCA line in inputs.

I would be perfectly fine with an older, 1080p compatible and SACD decoding ability AVR with HDMI compatibility and minimum one analog multichannel input, provided it has analog line level output. But trying to find models for these I am just at a loss as to what to look for search-wise. I was finding impossible to find or expensive stuff like the Marantz AV7702 or the Outlaw Audio 975 and 976 which seems like overkill for my "separates" setup. I will take any and all names in this category, similar to the Integra which was kindly recommended above.

Thank you so much.

Edited by Baloo

I’ll explain my configurations involving Oppo universal players, in case you can glean anything from my experience.

I don’t have cable TV.   I use an antenna for OTA HDTV broadcasts.  In my TV room, I use TOSLINK from my HDTV into my Oppo UDP-205 for the rare occasion when I want to play OTA TV audio (multi-channel) through my hi-fi system.   (I don’t think that your BDP-103 has a TOSLINK input.)  I have a Chromecast connected to the HDMI input of my UDP-205 that can be used for streaming video.   (I seldom stream video.  I like Blu-ray discs.)   

As I said earlier, I own Oppo UDP-205 (x2), BDP-105, and BDP-95, installed in 4 different multi-channel systems (i.e., 4 different listening rooms).    No AVR, multi-channel pre-processor, or multi-channel pre-amp is involved in any of these systems.   The Oppo units provide the “multi-channel pre-processor functionality” that I need.  (The UDP-205 is the most versatile of the Oppo players.)

I can connect any combination of traditional hi-fi tube amps, or traditional solid-state hi-fi amps, for configurations that range from 5.1, 4.1 (i.e., combine the Oppo’s surround-left and surround-right analog RCA connections via a Y-cable to form a single rear channel), 4.2 (i.e., 2 subs connected to the Oppo via Y-connector), or 3.1 (no rear channels).  

I like 4.1 (and 4.2) configurations, because IME there is little content in the rear channels of classical music (mostly audience applause).   Therefore – for me - not much is lost by combining the rear channels.   One vintage stereo tube amp plays the main L&R channels - i.e., the Oppo’s Front Left and Front Right analog audio outputs are connected to analog line-level audio inputs on the stereo amp (e.g., AUX input).  A second vintage stereo tube amp plays the center-channel and single rear-channel.  The powered subwoofer(s) connect to the Oppo, and Oppo’s bass management feature (e.g., configurable crossover) is employed.    

You can support 5.1 (or 7.1) with enough traditional hi-fi amps (i.e., amps that have RCA line-level inputs).  (The Oppos provide analog audio connections for up to 7.1.)

On occasion I directly drive power amps from my Oppo units.  (The Oppo’s set-up allows you to adjust the relative volume level of each channel.)   The only downside to directly driving power amps from an Oppo is the lack of tone controls.   If you want the ability to adjust tonal balance, then connect traditional integrated amps (or receivers) that are equipped with tone controls to the Oppo’s analog outputs.

(BTW, the newer Oppos have a parameter that can activate DTS Neo:6 pseudo-surround sound for stereo recordings, but I don’t use it.)

I’m very satisfied with the configurations described above.  Multi-channel classical recordings sound great, and Hollywood movies sound great.  These systems can play Blu-ray, Pure Audio Blu-ray, SACD, hi-res downloads, DVDs, and CDs.    (The UDP-205 additionally can play Ultra HD Blu-ray.)   

In one of my systems, a turntable is directly connected to an integrated amp’s turntable input, in addition to the front L&R audio channels from the Oppo connected to the amp’s AUX input.   In this system, I can therefore play LPs, in addition to any digital format.   (The subwoofer isn’t employed when LPs are played.)

Here’s descriptions of my 4 systems that are capable of multi-channel playback by using Oppo universal players, and traditional hi-fi amps:

• TV room:  Main front left & right speakers are Klipsch Palladium P-37F.   Center:  Klipsch RC-64III.   Single rear:  Klipsch RP-502S.   Subwoofer:  Klipsch P-312W.  The source is an Oppo UDP-205 for playing Blu-ray and SACD, and a USB hard drive containing high-res FLAC recordings.  I generally use vintage tube amps for music:   Scott 399, McIntosh MC225, Fisher X-1000, Scott 299C, McIntosh MX110Z / McIntosh MC240.  I use solid-state amps for movies (and summertime):   NAD C375BEE, and an NAD D 3045.    A patch panel (banana plugs) allows me to connect the speakers to whichever amp I want, and Niles AXP-1 RCA selector switches connect the Oppo to the amp.   HDTV is connected via TOSLINK to the UDP-205 to play audio from broadcast TV via the hi-fi.  Chromecast is connected to the HDMI input of my UDP-205 for streaming video. Chromecast Audio is connected via analog audio to the NAD C375BEE for internet radio.

• Basement:  Front, center, and left speakers are Klipsch RF-7 II.  A single rear speaker is a Klipsch RF-7.   Subwoofers:  SVS SB16-Ultra, Klipsch R-115SW.  Source:  Oppo UDP-205 for playing Blu-ray and SACDs, and a USB hard drive containing high-res FLAC recordings.  Amps: Scott 272, Inspire “Fire Bottle” SE Stereo Tube Amplifier HO, Scott 222C, Fisher KX-200, Scott 296, Pilot SA-260, Scott LK150, Altec 353A, Kenwood KR-9050.   (This system also has a Schiit Loki tone-control.  I can connect the power amps direct to the Oppo, or insert the Loki.)  A patch panel allows me to connect the speakers to whichever amp I want, and F/F RCA cables enable me to connect an amp to the Oppo, and a power amp to the Loki if I choose to do so.   Chromecast Audio is connected via TOSLINK to the UDP-205 for internet radio.

• Living room:  Stereo speakers are Snell Type CV.   Center:  Klipsch RC-64III.   Single rear:  RP-502S.   Subwoofer:  Klipsch P-312W.  The source components are Oppo BDP-95 for playing Blu-ray, SACDs, and CDs (and a USB hard drive containing high-res FLAC recordings), and Dual 1249 with Stanton 681EE equipped with a new Shibata stylus.  Amps include a pair of McIntosh MC30s, Scott 296, McIntosh MX110Z / McIntosh MC275, a pair of Pilot HF-56 mono receivers, an NAD pre-amp and Acurus A250 power-amp for movies, and a McIntosh 2155 driving JBL L830s in the kitchen / dining room.   A patch panel (banana plugs) allows me to connect the speakers to whichever amp I want, and a F/F RCA cables enable me to connect an amp to the Oppo.   Chromecast Audio is connected via analog audio to the NAD pre-amp for internet radio.

• Bedroom:  Front, center, and left speakers are Klipsch WF-35.  SVS SB-2000 Pro subwoofer.   Source is an Oppo BDP-105 for playing Pure Audio Blu-ray and SACDs, and a USB hard drive containing high-res FLAC recordings.  (No TV.)  Fisher 500C drives the left & right speakers.  Fisher TA 500 (AM/FM mono receiver) drives the center speaker.  Chromecast Audio is connected via TOSLINK to the BDP-105 for internet radio.

(I also have a stereo-only system in my office.)

These configurations involve no automatic software-based room correction.  I tune my systems by hear, based on what I remember hearing when I attend live symphony concerts.

While these systems work great for me, I’m not sure if these configurations are relevant to what you’re trying to do.

4 hours ago, Max2 said:

Find an upper end AVR and just use the pre outs if you want something cheap. 

This is what I would do too.  Go to accessories4less, get the yamaha RX-A1080 for $900 bucks, plug all your sources into it including your TT and oppo, connect the pre-outs to your Luxman amps, and bobs-your-uncle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pbphoto said:

This is what I would do too.  Go to accessories4less, get the yamaha RX-A1080 for $900 bucks, plug all your sources into it including your TT and oppo, connect the pre-outs to your Luxman amps, and bobs-your-uncle.

If I’m understanding the OP’s situation correctly, I tend to agree with this elegantly concise statement.

OTOH, following is my long-winded commentary … based largely on my ignorance …

OP:  I downloaded the User Manual for your Luxman F-114.  Am I correct that the F-114 does not have line-level inputs for 3 channels – i.e., it cannot be used as a 3-channel amp?

Am I correct that the F-114 decodes a 1980s era surround-sound format called Dolby Pro Logic?  I know nothing about this.   (I use Blu-ray’s DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio track, which is decoded by the Oppo players.  I also use the Oppo players to decode multi-channel SACD.)   Am I correct that Dolby Pro Logic is an antiquated attempt at pseudo-surround-sound?

Do you have a library of old recordings that employ Dolby Pro Logic that you want to play?   Are these VHS tapes?  Laser disc?  Other?   Can these recordings be replaced with more modern versions (e.g., Blu-ray)?

Or, do you want to play modern Blu-ray and SACD recordings?

My earlier post explains how the Oppo universal players can be used with traditional hi-fi amps that have line-level analog audio inputs to play modern Blu-ray and SACD discs, and support anywhere from stereo to 7.1.

It seems to me that you have several options:

1. If you have enough traditional hi-fi amps (i.e., RCA line-level audio inputs) to connect to the Oppo’s 5.1 analog audio outputs, then implement one of the configurations I described earlier.

2. If your Luxman R-115 stereo receiver is your only traditional amplifier (i.e., RCA line-level audio inputs), and you want to use your Luxman R-115 stereo receiver to drive the Front Left and Front Right speakers in a 5.1 implementation to play modern Blu-ray and SACD discs, then buy a modern AVR that has line-level audio outputs so that you can use your existing Luxman R-115 stereo receiver for the front speakers, while the AVR drives the center and rear speakers.   (The Luxman F-114 and Technics SH-AC500D wouldn’t be in play.)

3. If your Luxman R-115 stereo receiver is your only traditional amplifier and you don’t want to buy an AVR, then buy more traditional hi-fi amps to connect to the Oppo’s analog outputs, depending on if you want 5.1 or 4.1 (combined rear channels) audio.   (The Luxman F-114 and Technics SH-AC500D wouldn’t be in play.)

4. Buy an AVR to do everything.   (FWIW, this is not my recommended solution …)

The following is ignorance on my part:  I don’t know what role the Luxman F-114 would play, unless you have a large library of vintage recordings that employ Dolby Pro Logic (presumably 1980s era), and these recordings aren’t available in modern surround-sound formats.

I also don’t understand what role the Technics SH-AC500D Processor would play.   Again, ignorance on my part.

OTOH, apparently your Luxman R-115 is a traditional stereo receiver that could play a role in a modern audio/video hi-fi system, if you’re enamored with it.

There are hobbyists who invest their time and money to play vintage technologies such as 8-track tapes, VHS tapes, Laser Discs, etc.    However, that’s a very specialized hobby that isn’t focused on the best audio or video quality.

FWIW/IMO, some vintage technologies such as 1950s era McIntosh MC30 tube amps are timeless (i.e., they’ve never been bettered).   OTOH/IMO, early surround-sound audio formats, not so much …

FWIW, I suggest that you focus on what recordings you want to play (music and movies), and/or what streaming services you want to consume.   I also suggest that you be willing to consider newer formats such as Blu-ray (and Ultra HD Blu-ray).  

$64k question:  What genres of music do you like?  What movies do you like?  I suggest that you focus on building a system that will deliver the art that you love into your home.    

$64k question #2:  How much time and money do you want to invest into being able to play vintage (1980s era?) surround-sound formats, vs. investing in modern (e.g., Blu-ray or SACD) recordings and playback equipment?

I’m intrigued by this, but I’m not sure if I’m contributing anything …

Robert_kc this should clarify some things:

The Luxman F-114 does have the ability to accept other signals, but it has Main-Ins instead of the more simple Line-Ins, so the signal must be routed through the pre-outs to a processor, then back into the main ins on the Luxman F-114. Hence why I need a second set of multichannel inputs on any preamp/processor I use to route the sound to both Luxmans.

The F-114 does have Dolby Pro Logic processing, which is of course woefully out of date and is for older VHS, Laserdiscs, some DVDs, and some video games. For me there will be three uses for the Dolby Pro Logic processor in the Luxman F-114: The Nintendo Wii which has some games that use it, my Star Wars 2006 Limited Edition DVDs that are the original versions but only have Dolby Pro Logic encoded surround because they are Laserdisc transfers, and some SQ Quadraphonic sound LPs that I own that decode decently through the original Dolby Pro Logic decoders.

I initially bought the Luxman F-114 to go with my Luxman R-115 not knowing enough about surround sound formats, but I am lucky that it can be used as a standalone amp. I just wish it had line ins, then I could bypass this entire problem. However since I can use it, I would rather stick with both Luxman's since it is easier and the power of both are great.

I am looking for another preamp to replace the Technics SH-AC500D, that would have no place in a new setup.

Honestly, if the main options are either a 1080p HDMI Preamp or a multichannel preamp both at the same price, then I will go with the latter since it will give me flexibility.

Unfortunately, unlike the Oppo BDP-105, the 103 cannot be used as a preamp by design according to threads I have read elsewhere. Otherwise I would use it for that purpose.

I’m not sure if I completely understand the Luxman F-114’s inputs and outputs.  (Your explanation and a diagram of the back panel helped, but I’m not sure if I understand 100%.)

Have you considered the following simple idea?

FWIW, in several of my systems that involve multiple amps, and pre-amps, where there are many combinations of connections possible, I employ a very simple solution.  For each source, I have short male/female RCA cables (labeled appropriately) that make the outputs more easily accessible at the front of the unit.  For each amp I have suitable length male/male cables (appropriately labeled) that are easily accessible at the front of the unit.  Simply plug whichever amps’ male cable into whichever source’s female cable.  

Am I correct that for you, there would be two sources, and one pair of amps that collectively provide 5 channels?  Pull the rear and center jumpers on the Luxman F-114 and install cables as follows:

•    Source 1:  Oppo M/F cables labeled:
o    Oppo right front out
o    Oppo left front out
o    Oppo center out
o    Oppo right rear out
o    Oppo left rear out

•    Source 2:  Luxman F-114 M/F cables labeled:
o    Luxman F-114 right front out
o    Luxman F-114 left front out
o    Luxman F-114 center out
o    Luxman F-114 right rear out
o    Luxman F-114 left rear out

•    Amp input M/M cables labeled:
o    Luxman R-115 right front in
o    Luxman R-115 left front in
o    Luxman F-114 center main in
o    Luxman F-114 right rear main in
o    Luxman F-114 left rear main in

Would this work with your Luxman R-115, Luxman F-114, and Oppo BDP-103?  Have you tried cabling the Oppo with the Luxman R-115 and F-114 in this manner?

If this will work, but the idea of cables hanging loose isn’t appealing, you could employ RCA patch panels, such as this: https://www.vadcon.com/pp/ppd12-rcabgis.html  (This company offers many varieties of patch panels.  I use their banana plug patch panels for speakers.)

Your thoughts?

• Like 2

The  Lux f-114 looks interesting... I have a very similar setup... 2 x R-117, 1 x Oppo 103. I don’t do much multichannel audio... mostly stereo via external Dac or TT to one R-117. Have been looking for a nice piece to integrate for rear surround sound.

I could just buy another Lux R-11x receiver... just missed a very good deal on a third R-117, dang. 

So I took your advice robert and plugged my Oppo BDP-103 right into my Luxman R-115 CD (and turned on the CD straight so the Oppo goes straight to the amp) and the F-114 main ins, and it sounds awesome! I am so glad I can ditch the Technics now for much better surround sound. Bass coming straight from the Oppo sounds oddly much fuller in movies, and I can now enjoy my 5.1 channel surround sound SACDs. I appreciate your help. Also despite the fact that the 103 cannot officially be used as a preamp, I only hear some very mild white noise with it, nothing bad. Really beats buying a new pre-amp.

MC39639, I stumbled across the Luxman F-114 through online searches since I didnt want to ditch my R-115 and wanted to add surround sound to my setup, I think it is a great device since it has the main-ins. I am honestly surprised there are not similar surround sound 3-channel amps out there.

One update to this topic in case anyone is interested in using their BDP-103 as a preamp:

First, The white noise is very mild, but it does exist. Hence the comments from Oppo years ago saying dont use this as a preamp. However, oddly it sounds much better as a preamp than my Technics, which when attempting to plug the Oppo into the multichannel in and use the F-114 only as a poweramp, gave a horrible high pitched hum. I'll take the Oppo's white noise over that, even though it May annoy more serious audiophiles than myself.

Second, the Oppo oddly has no Dolby Pro Logic or matrix surround processing. I am not sure why they excluded this, as some DVDs still frequently had only Dolby Stereo or Matrixed Surround Sound, like Star Wars Original Trilogy special editions, or Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro. This also means I cannot get surround sound out of my Nintendo Wii, but those sound effects were so few and far between that it is not a huge deal.

Overall, if I find a preamp in the future for an extremely reasonable price, I will buy it. But rather than spend another $100+ on my surround sound system, the BDP-103 does a much better job than my 20 year old Technics SH-AC500D, which was really only good for Dolby Digital and DTS. Thanks to everyone's help in this thread!

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to this topic for @robert_kc and anyone else interested.

I used the Oppo BDP-103 analog outputs and used the 103 as a preamp plugged straight into the power amps of the F-114 and the CD input of the R-115. It got progressively worse to the point of unlistenable. Tons of white noise and a consistent hum when listening to anything, and pops and clicks after any sound ceased playing through the Oppo. It Really just got grating after a while. Do not use the 103 as a preamp.

So I went back to the more complex R-115 Signal Processor into F-114 Line in, then all of the pre-outs of the 114 into the Technics, and the outputs of the Technics into the Main-Ins on the F-114 and Signal Processor in on the R-115 for proper digital to analog conversion and surround sound decoding. Interestingly, with the addition of a new Klipsch Academy Center Speaker to replace my KV-1, the Technics sounds better than it ever did, and oddly it can decode Apple TVs uncompressed LPCM multichannel output through the oppo (Oppo outputting digital optical audio as bitstream), it is read as DTS on the Technics for some reason. Movie Surround sound right now is pretty good, I would not say QUITE as good as the Oppo analog outputs, but there also isnt all of that white noise either. Definitely more than satisfactory though for now.

No SACD or DVD-A quality playback for now, but frankly this feels like more of a fault of the format that they never supporting coaxial or digital optical audio. Absolutely frustrating.

Thanks for all of the recommendations for preamps in this thread, I will look for a few models and see what is the cheapest I can find. Really I just need something that can do 1080p, have multichannel input and/or HDMI input, and have analog preouts. Hopefully I'll be able to find something that can replace the Technics and get the job done.

Edited by Baloo