New vs "old" Klipsch

Rodak

On 11/11/2021 at 2:05 PM, Rodak said:

I see that Adorama and Amazon sell the R-610F for $300/pair. 

the R-610F brand new , klipsch warranty  are a no-brainer - given away , klipsch quality for 300$ is exceptional value  -

forget old KG series , unless you can find a pristine pair /parts are no longer available for the woofers and aftermarket replacement parts  are expensive , the crossovers may need work -

TOP  recommendation for an older klipsch Heritage speaker would be a klipsch Heresy  or klipsch Heresy II  , but the Prices are closer to 5-600$

I have to say the R-610f surprised me. Bought sight unseen on price and Klipsch reputation 'cause I wanted to hear my new to me Fisher 440T. Not disappointed. They're not top shelf however the sound is detailed and soundstage spacious with a good recording. Been considering a sub but don't know what would actually improve the sound w/o too much $$$.

Chesky's Binaural recordings are what really helped me with position and tuning my set up. My friends think they are high dollar speakers 'cause of the sound and size. I tell 'em I got them for $304 shipped and get doubtful replies. It's OK I know the truth. I do want to move up the line but until I find what I want these are fine.

• Like 1

There are different ways to approach a speaker purchase.  One way is to decide what you want to spend, and then find speakers that fit in under that limit.  Another way is to decide which speakers you want, and then find the money to buy them.  That’s the way that will give you long-term satisfaction.

Trading your way up is another way to go, but it has two flaws.  First, you spend a lot of money, time, and energy, buying and trying to sell speakers that aren’t exactly what you want.  Second, the time you could have spent enjoying your dream speakers is lost listening to the “also-rans” and “not-quites”

Sorry if I and some others seem to be hard-core enablers, helping you to spend your money, but it’s really a case of “Jump in!  The water’s fine!”  However, the way to put a toe in the unfamiliar water is not to buy some test or proof-of-concept speakers, but to listen at every opportunity to the speakers you’re curious about, so you get some idea of what you’re getting into.  Kick some tires.  Maybe there’s a Forum member or two not far from you who’d like to show you their pride and joys.  I’ve welcomed three different Forum members to my place so far, and been invited to the homes of other members.

There’s a reason you keep hearing about Heritage Series speakers.  More than one reason, actually.  First, they’re Paul Klipsch’s speakers.  The Man Himself designed them.  Second, they’re the most sensitive Klipsch speakers, so they’ll give you more volume per watt, meaning you can get great sound, with low distortion, high clarity, and all the volume you’re likely to want, without having to buy an expensive monster amplifier.  Third, they’re made in the USA, so your speaker purchase, even of used speakers, creates jobs for your fellow Americans, and keeps money inside the US, where it helps the economy of the country.  How can a used speaker do that?  Well, buyers of those big new expensive Klipschorn AK6es, La Scala AL5s, Forté IVs, and so on, often finance their purchases by selling the Heritage speakers they already own.  That’s how you become an enabler!

• Like 4

On 11/13/2021 at 8:30 AM, Rodak said:

@geoff.Yeah, my Marantz (it's a 1060) does crackle a bit when turned on. That's why I like the speaker on/off buttons on the front.  I rebuilt the power supply and replaced the big filter caps in the output section, but it's still slightly noisy on power-on, but dead silent after that.

I'm also using an upgraded 1060. Mine is a few years older than yours, but it is part of the reason I started looking at Klipsch in the first place. I have a pretty large listening room and I wanted an efficient speaker that could be driven comfortably by the 1060. I don't typically listen at high volumes, but I do like detail and a "live" sound. When I heard the Forte llls I was hooked. They were priced a bit more than I was planning to spend, but everything I listened to that was less money left me wanting.

• Like 2

Another round of excellent replies and advice, thanks!  I'll continue to research these various models.

So "Heritage" encompasses several different models, right?  Is that list defined anywhere?

There's a pair of Forte Is nearby, but $1,100 seems a bit pricey.

12 minutes ago, Rodak said:

Another round of excellent replies and advice, thanks!  I'll continue to research these various models.

So "Heritage" encompasses several different models, right?  Is that list defined anywhere?

Would expect to get nice Chorus for that price. A pair of forte on Craigslist in Florida for that price. Another pair forte for $675

On 11/11/2021 at 1:05 PM, Rodak said:

So now I see that Adorama and Amazon sell the R-610F for $300/pair.  That's roughly what I was looking to spend for a pair of 30-40 year old vintage speakers (that

If 300pr is your budget the only thing I can recommend wont be from the heritage line. RP-160/600's are great modern bookshelf options. Older RB-5's are also good. If you can find a pair of RF5's for that coin I would highly recommend those. Now if you want to rock out (I'm a rock guy too) then the best for that IMO is the Epic line or Pro line.

• Like 1

New VS Old.... Interesting subject. 

Haven't heard a set of Fort'e IV's or Hersey IV's. Heard a set of Fort'e Iii's at Chicago Axpona. I was not impressed.... Didn't think room or placement was correct but still left disappointed. Thought about a pair of Fort'e IV's about a year ago after reading and hearing al the stellar reviews. Just couldn't bring myself to sell my collection to pick up the 4K (collection consist Chorus Ii's, Fort'e Ii's,

Fort'e and Quartets)  Being retired I think I'd go Old.... The price of the old series seemed to skyrocket in the last 2 years while prices on new series (used) has not.... you can probably buy old and still get more than you paid in the future.... 

George

@Rodak

There is very good set of speakers in your area , the klipsch RF7 II  , but the seller is asking for too much money 2k$  , these would be a great deal around 1200$  , and these speakers would be just as good as Forte III  , if not even better imho  -  I would drive over and sample these speakers as they are in your backyard   and negotiate the price of the speakers down to 1200$ or dont buy them

-https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649793847-klipsch-rf-7-ii-pair-cherry/

On 11/13/2021 at 6:30 AM, Rodak said:

Wow, what a great batch of thoughtful and helpful responses!

I'm in NE Georgia, about 45 minutes north of Atlanta.

I'll check out some of the recommended sources and models.  I'm not in a hurry, as the room really isn't ready yet - gotta paint and get some furniture.

I *could* afford a pair of La Scalas, just not sure if I want to spend that much.  Plus, finding a pair locally could take some time, but you never know.  Yeah, shipping could be expensive...and risky.

@geezin'Thanks for the Youtube demo - hardly a good way to judge speakers, but it did sound pretty impressive!

@geoff.Yeah, my Marantz (it's a 1060) does crackle a bit when turned on. That's why I like the speaker on/off buttons on the front.  I rebuilt the power supply and replaced the big filter caps in the output section, but it's still slightly noisy on power-on, but dead silent after that.

5 hours ago, Rodak said:

Buy the speakers that you mentioned new if you are concerned about any issues.  Turn key.

These look interesting used.  Same guy as the Fortes.  Offer $1K and see what happens. 

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/ele/d/roswell-jbl-4647-2445h-15-woofers/7400741422.html

3 hours ago, RandyH said:

There is very good set of speakers in your area , the klipsch RF7 II  , but the seller is asking for too much money 2k$  , these would be a great deal around 1200$  , and these speakers would be just as good as Forte III  , if not even better imho  -  I would drive over and sample these speakers as they are in your backyard   and negotiate the price of the speakers down to 1200$ or dont buy them

I think this was meant for @Rodak. I'm in Iowa and already own Forte llls.  😄

• Like 1

Wow, that guy in Roswell has several pair of nice looking speakers, all priced in the $1,100-$1,200 range.  Might be worth a trip just to listen to them - assuming he'll demo without a purchase commitment.  I corresponded with another seller willing to demo, but only if I committed to buy first - not gonna happen.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rodak said:

Wow, that guy in Roswell has several pair of nice looking speakers, all priced in the $1,100-$1,200 range.  Might be worth a trip just to listen to them - assuming he'll demo without a purchase commitment.  I corresponded with another seller willing to demo, but only if I committed to buy first - not gonna happen.

Yes, may as well...

1 hour ago, Rodak said:

@Rodak

On 11/13/2021 at 8:47 AM, RandyH said:

the R-610F brand new , klipsch warranty  are a no-brainer - given away , klipsch quality for 300$ is exceptional value  -

Good advice. 

1 hour ago, Rodak said:

Those JBLs are some serious speakers and cheap for what they are.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tigerwoodKhorns said:

Good advice. 

Those JBLs are some serious speakers and cheap for what they are.

Yeah, those look awesome, next-best thing to a pair of Voice of the Theatre A7s, which is another set I'd love to have, but I seriously doubt my wife would take kindly to something so big and raw-looking.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rodak said:

I seriously doubt my wife would take kindly to something so big and raw-looking.  

Have a similar set made by Klipsch (KPT-904's with 510 horns). Wife did not like them first, but put grilles on them (and enclosed the horns). Now she loves them and won't even listen to my Heresies/Cornwalls :)  If you have the room, these larger PRO speakers are the only way to go :)  Night and day compared to even the Heritage series. Take your wife with you to audition those JBL's!

• Like 2

Well, I pulled the trigger on the R-610Fs - too good a deal to pass up, and that price may not last very long.  I'll correspond with the guy in Roswell, and may go check out some of his after I've had a chance to evaluate the R-610s.  If I decide I just HAVE to have the big pricey ones, I may be able to re-sell the R-610s to my daughter, who is getting into vinyl and will need some good speakers eventually (gotta get her a turntable and amp first!).  Her space and budget are considerably more limited.

• Like 3