New vs "old" Klipsch

Rodak

Well, I got the R-610Fs in a few days ago, and have listened to them a fair amount. It's been decades since I sat and listened to a really good pair of speakers. (I have some Bose 2.2s hooked up to my computer, but describing those as "really good" is pushing it).  These did not overwhelm me at first, but the more I listened, the more I liked them. 

I think the best descriptive word for the sound would be "uncolored", as in, they seem to do a good job of reproducing the source material without adding or subtracting, which I think is the main goal of a good set of speakers.  I've read that Klipsch speakers tend to be harsh on the high-end.  Nothing of the sort here - I actually had to crank the Treble up to about 4 o'clock to get to where it sounded good to me.  I do have significant hearing loss in my left ear, but my right ear is still pretty good, so I use it to judge more then the left.  My wife didn't say anything about it sounding too harsh or too much on the high-end, either.  Bass is surprisingly good, I run the Bass between 12-o'clock and 1-o'clock, and the Mids between 11-o'clock and 12-o'clock.  The room I have them in is very  live, with hardwood floors and very little furniture, so I'm sure those settings will change as we get things filled-out.  Closing my eyes and listening intently, I can pick out all the individual instruments easily (even noticed a note or two I hadn't before), which I think is a good test - I've noticed that cheap speakers tend to mush things together.  Efficiency is great, as-expected.  I run the volume between 9-o'clock and 10-o'clock.  At 10-o'clock my wife complains that I have it too loud.

I will keep these.  I consider them an excellent deal for the price.  My wife also is suitably impressed.  I may yet go check out some other speakers eventually, just to see how they compare, but I don't know that spending 2-4 times as much is going to give enough bang to justify the bucks.

• Like 3

On 11/15/2021 at 3:54 PM, geezin' said:

Even though entry level they're still Klipsch. 

I'm not sure I've ever heard a Klipsch speaker I did not like-- obviously I like certain models over others but it seems I'm always fairly impressed with even the smaller or "lower end" models for their respective size and price point, KG & Tangent lines comes to mind.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Rodak said:

Well, I got the R-610Fs in a few days ago, and have listened to them a fair amount. It's been decades since I sat and listened to a really good pair of speakers. (I have some Bose 2.2s hooked up to my computer, but describing those as "really good" is pushing it).  These did not overwhelm me at first, but the more I listened, the more I liked them. 

I think the best descriptive word for the sound would be "uncolored", as in, they seem to do a good job of reproducing the source material without adding or subtracting, which I think is the main goal of a good set of speakers.  I've read that Klipsch speakers tend to be harsh on the high-end.  Nothing of the sort here - I actually had to crank the Treble up to about 4 o'clock to get to where it sounded good to me.  I do have significant hearing loss in my left ear, but my right ear is still pretty good, so I use it to judge more then the left.  My wife didn't say anything about it sounding too harsh or too much on the high-end, either.  Bass is surprisingly good, I run the Bass between 12-o'clock and 1-o'clock, and the Mids between 11-o'clock and 12-o'clock.  The room I have them in is very  live, with hardwood floors and very little furniture, so I'm sure those settings will change as we get things filled-out.  Closing my eyes and listening intently, I can pick out all the individual instruments easily (even noticed a note or two I hadn't before), which I think is a good test - I've noticed that cheap speakers tend to mush things together.  Efficiency is great, as-expected.  I run the volume between 9-o'clock and 10-o'clock.  At 10-o'clock my wife complains that I have it too loud.

I will keep these.  I consider them an excellent deal for the price.  My wife also is suitably impressed.  I may yet go check out some other speakers eventually, just to see how they compare, but I don't know that spending 2-4 times as much is going to give enough bang to justify the bucks.

Give them some time. For lack of a better word mine became richer after time passed. If you can find it listen to Dr. Chesky's Binaural Journey Through the Soul. I use Spotify and it is there. Amazing recording.

BTW thanks for the update.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I built a little home theatre system a couple years ago. It's just a simple 5.1 using a lower priced Denon receiver. My main speakers are The 6" 2 way towers for which I paid roughly 300 bucks. Then I have a low cost Klipsch 5" center channel and 4" two way surround speakers. I kept my existing Monoprice 12" sub crossed over at around 70 hz. I probably have about 1200 bucks in the whole system and for what it is, it sounds great. The 610s are a great theatre speaker and hold their own for stand alone 2 channel stereo. My goal is to save some cask and get a pair of Forte IVs for my main speakers and upgrade my front channel amplification. I'll still have a decent system for movies but my music listening will take a huge leap up. Seems like Klipsch makes a great product at every price range. I'll never own anything else. I went to work in a hi-fi store when I was 17 in 1974. I'm now 67 and am looking to economically build my last stereo system.

• Like 2