Loose Sockets /****CORRECTION ****/ Loose Tubes in Sockets on PL EVO 400 Integrated

JeffLebowski

Loose Sockets Correction/Loose Tubes in Sockets on PL EVO 400 Integrated

Hey Guys,

Thanks again for all the help guys with my noise thread.
I want to re-state something I said earlier which was entirely wrong.
Being new to tubes, I stated that 3 of the front tube sockets were loose. They are not loose, but rather the tubes are loose fitting in the sockets. I thought it was the socket moving but it is the tubes easily moving when I wiggle the tops of them.
I do feel the appropriate amount of shame.

But is it normal to have loose tubes? The rest are pretty solid up front and the power tubes are in there like cement.
BTW, the front tubes are in the sockets all the way.

Here is a 12 second video of the loose tubes:

Dropbox - Valve Movement.MOV - Simplify your life

Cheers and again, I am sorry I stated the wrong thing.

Edited by JeffLebowski

22 hours ago, JeffLebowski said:

Being new to tubes, I stated that 3 of the front tube sockets were loose. They are not loose, but rather the tubes are loose fitting in the sockets.

-you can order new sockets from Primaluna under the warranty and have a Primaluna tech replace the loose sockets -

2)- Remove the tubes. ckeck to see if the pins of the tubes are bent , if they are bent , straighten the pins VERY gently

3)-  purchase some DeOxit  ( red and black can )   and apply a LITTLE AMOUNT  to the socket contacts and work the tube in and out till you feel it grab   Isopropyl alcohol can do as well , but DeOxit is best here -

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jcn3 said:

@JeffLebowski seems like you should change your title to something like "correction:  pl evo 400 sockets not loose".  current title implies something is wrong with the sockets.

I will do that right now.

I really don't want to harm PL's reputation at all. Despite the bumps I am having, I am floored by the amp.

Just in awe of the sound it produces.

Thanks

3 hours ago, RandyH said:

-you can order new sockets from Primaluna under the warranty and have a Primaluna tech replace the loose sockets -

2)- Remove the tubes. ckeck to see if the pins of the tubes are bent , if they are bent , straighten the pins VERY gently

3)-  purchase some DeOxit  ( red and black can )   and apply a LITTLE AMOUNT  to the socket contacts and work the tube in and out till you feel it grab   Isopropyl alcohol can do as well , but DeOxit is best here -

Thanks for your help. But, the sockets are not in fact loose. I thought they were at first because the tubes in the sockets were moving so freely that I thought the sockets were the cause. The tubes are the item that are loose. Thanks

Take Care

• JeffLebowski changed the title to Loose Sockets /****CORRECTION ****/ Loose Tubes in Sockets on PL EVO 400 Integrated
15 minutes ago, JeffLebowski said:

The tubes are the item that are loose.

ok , Jeff  so step 2 , do you have other tubes on hand , if you do ,  try them , are the tubes  also loose in the socket , if yes , then  you have bad sockets , and they should be replaced on the warranty by Prrimaluna   , what happens is the contact area of the tube is too wide inside the socket and tubes are loose , you can bend the contacts with a very small pointy screwdriver , but given the amplifier is under warranty , Primaluna should do the repairs -a sma

-if a second set of tubes are not loose , then you have an issue with the pins of the tubes - either they are bent of pushed inwards , you can  straighten or  widen very gently for a better contact -

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RandyH said:

ok , Jeff  so step 2 , do you have other tubes on hand , if you do ,  try them , are the tubes  also loose in the socket , if yes , then  you have bad sockets , and they should be replaced on the warranty by Prrimaluna   , what happens is the contact area of the tube is too wide inside the socket and tubes are loose , you can bend the contacts with a very small pointy screwdriver , but given the amplifier is under warranty , Primaluna should do the repairs -a sma

-if a second set of tubes are not loose , then you have an issue with the pins of the tubes - either they are bent of pushed inwards , you can  straighten or  widen very gently for a better contact -

Thanks Randy,

I unfortunately don't have any other tubes. I did look at the pins and they seem to be straight and normal looking.

Will try to get help thru the dealer.

All the best.

Take Care

2 minutes ago, JeffLebowski said:

Will try to get help thru the dealer.

All the best.

Take Care

loose tubes in a socket , is not normal per the high Standards at Primaluna  , the Tubes or the Sockets  problem was simply passed up during the initial Quality Control process at The Factory -

the right procedure is to replace the Sockets or the Tubes or even Both  ,  or the long term durability of the Tubes will be compromised  -Regards

• Like 1

Wow V13 was really loose looking!! Can you take the tube out of the socket, specifically V13 because that seems to be the worst one and snap a hi-res photo of just the socket for us to look at? It will also allow me to put it into photoshop and show you how to properly re-tension it.

Is there any noise when you wiggle them like that through the speakers?

I personally wouldn't want to ship an amp around the country like that, or transport it much at all honestly. It is really simple to re-tension the sockets yourself and you will be back listening to music before you even box that thing up to bring it out for repair.

Screwdrivers work, I use a conjunction of a metal pick and small screwdriver. Leave the amp off and unplugged for a good half hour before doing this to make sure the voltage has bled from the capacitors.

• Like 2