Cornscala OR La Scala with a Sub???...Your INFORMED LISTENING THOUGHTS.

edzu1234

Crites Cornscala B.................................  Or: 1984 Stock La Scala with recapped(Sonicap)crossovers with a HSU VTF-2 Mark5 Subwoofer 

CW 1526CF WOOFER

SELENIUM D405 MID RANGE DRIVERS WRAPPED IN DYNAMAT
CSS500/5000 CROSSOVERS
2380 HORNS

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR OPINIONS AND INPUT!

I'll jump in for a minute and whip my story on ya.  I'm running a pair of 81 LS & a PrimaLuna integrated.  Crites 120 tweeters and Deang's Jupiter networks.  He's a God btw imo cause without him I wouldn't have a choir here singing now.  He made them sing and I wound up with a choir!  EVERYone said sub so I started nosing and picked up an older JBL SP128S @ an auction on the cheap.  Yea, REAL cheap.  It worked great so I cleaned it up and put it in my array.  Think twin 18's???  Finished it up the other night and I can guarantee it will kick your rear.  Pic & kudos I posted the other night are over in the vinyl spinning thread.  Cornscala's?  It's you're rig what ya REALLY want to do with it?  I run 2-channel and all albums so there's that too.

@Deangwithout your help I'd have NEVER made it so Imma gonna drop this one here for ya brother.  Yea, my choir wouldn't have been possible w/o ya brother!  Thank you!  :)

• Like 1

Never owned Cornscala but owned Cornwalls and Belles/LS at the same time. For me, these are entirely different sounding speakers and not a lateral move. But my experience is with CW, not Cornscala. Since I feel these are “different” sounding speakers keep the LS and add the CScala. By all means keep the LS and have fun adding/subtracting others. 

• Thanks 1

@Dave1291 Sounds amazing on my iPhone, lol. Always a good thing when my people are still happy years down the road. 

@pioneerhip Wasn’t that the CornScala drive/horn combo you had?

The tweeter and midrange drivers in the CornScala are better, but I am no fan of that filter - the midrange is running way too hot. 

If you love horn loaded bass, the CornScala will probably disappoint you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really was into the Corn-Scala but ended up just keeping the La Scala's with Active Sub-woofers. The preamp drives the mono's for the La Scala's and from the pre "sub-out" to the active sub-woofers.

I really only recommend the La Scala with a separate sub-woofer because although the horn woofer is tight, it only is good down to 50Hz or so. The sub gives that kick in the chest thump no there with the La Scala's alone. I don't think just a Corn-Scala will quite get you there, you really need some power and air movement down to 20Hz for that shake the house bass feeling. You can get there with a horn sub-woofer but it would have to be enormously large.

• Thanks 1

According to Roy, the new Jubilee has no need of a subwoofer, since its output is flat down very low frequencies. Apparently its new bass cabinet does amazing things.

As for me, I’ve got both La Scalas and La Scala IIs, and have operated both of them in a variety of configurations:  stock, bi-amped with K510 horns with K-69-A drivers, with K402 horns with K-69-A drivers and now with K-691 drivers.  For subs, I’ve had one, then two, Yamaha SW-90 subs (8”, 90 watts), a Paradigm PW-2100 sub (10”, 400 watts), one, then two, Paradigm Seismic 110 subs (10”, 850 watts).

What I’ve found is that with La Scalas, the more sub power you have, the better.  To be fair, the Seismic 110s also go much deeper, 18 Hz vs 23 Hz for the PW-2100, which makes a very noticeable difference.  The La Scala starts to roll off at 100 Hz, and gets pretty low by 50 Hz.  It really needs the help of a sub.  However, how much subwoofage is needed depends on what you like to listen to.  For acoustic folk, the small subs are fine, while for most other types of music the 400-watt sub is a bare minimum, and the 850-watt sub does a better job, letting you hear more of the music, especially the low bass, of course.  For movies, especially action thrillers, the more the better, depending on how realistic you want your explosions to sound, from pretty loud to scare-the-neighbours loud.

• Like 2

On 11/13/2021 at 3:45 PM, Deang said:

@pioneerhip Wasn’t that the CornScala drive/horn combo you had?

If you love horn loaded bass, the CornScala will probably disappoint you.

I believe it was the same combo. 

The comment about horn loaded bass couldn't be more spot on. I do think your crossovers brought out the best in the bass department on the cornscalas, but horn loaded bass it isn't. 

Going to a Crites Cornscala from a LaScala is not an upgrade. I have owned both and I say don't do it.

That said, you could benefit more from a subwoofer upgrade. I can't imagine a 12" driver is keeping up with a pair of horn loaded 15" drivers. I own a pair of HSU subs, so I'm not putting yours down, I just think you could benefit from more displacement. A pair of 15" sealed subs is just what the doctor ordered until you can go with a huge horn loaded sub.

• Like 2