Need advice on La Scala I'm considering

Rotobadger

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

I think he got banned/suspended for a period of time due to some posts Travis didn't like. I'll reach out to him via Facebook and see if it's still in effect.

That would be great. If you (or anyone) is able to contact him please feel free to PM me so you can pass my email and/or phone number on to him. He is not responding to PMs (may be that he’s unable). 

Thanks folks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richieb said:

- much like Kramer and Seinfeld who got on the wrong side of Joe’s fruit stand - he’s been Banned. Banned I tell ya’!  He was such the bad boy, sent to his room with no dinner, no TV, but still has his LS 2. 

My only banning was from the banana forum. I've been close in others but those banana guys are thin skinned. Get it?? Thin skinned?

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rotobadger said:

That would be great. If you (or anyone) is able to contact him please feel free to PM me so you can pass my email and/or phone number on to him. He is not responding to PMs (may be that he’s unable). 

Thanks folks!

Heard from Schu. The ban is over, but he's taking a self imposed break. The LS II's have been sold already.

Hey All,

After a couple of potential deals fall through before they even really got started, I’m still in the hunt for a pair of La Scala II. 

Had a question. What’s the best price I can reasonably expect to get a pair of AL5 for new?  I always read about people finding killer deals on speakers or gear at a steep discount but never can find anything like that. 

I’d be willing to go with a pair of NOS on a pair of LS II possibly. 

Thanks for all the great advice!

• Like 1

On 11/14/2021 at 4:35 PM, Shakeydeal said:

If you were happy with the bass of the Heresy, you might be ok with the LS w/o a sub. Pretty sure I’m getting an honest 45 hz in my room when the subs are off.

Shakey

The only "Honest" comment you can make about it is to MEASURE them and show the curves. Emotional testing won't do.

"You can't make what you can't measure because you don't know when you have it made."........Paul W. Klipsch quoting Dr. Irving Gardner.

I guess this is where I bow to your awesomeness....

I'm not going to measure it. You are right, I'm not absolutely sure if it's 45 hz, 48 hz, or 42 hz. I don't really care. I know what satisfying bass sounds like in my room and the LS II were in the neighborhood even w/o a sub.

I must be getting some good rent free time in your head since you had to go back over a week ago to dig that one up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

The only "Honest" comment you can make about it is to MEASURE them and show the curves. Emotional testing won't do.

"You can't make what you can't measure because you don't know when you have it made."........Paul W. Klipsch quoting Dr. Irving Gardner.

on another Subject , did you keep the Edgar horns -

34 minutes ago, RandyH said:

on another Subject , did you keep the Edgar horns -

Yep. Put Aluminum Diaphragms in mid driver, changed woofers to Eminence Kappa 15C (practice what I preach there), and added Ciare Bullet Tweeters, after building a mid/tweet Baltic Birch section on top of the Titan II midbass horn, the 2 coats of Spar Varnish to get the same honey color I got on my original 1977 KCBR Birch Klipschorns!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Shakeydeal said:

I guess this is where I bow to your awesomeness....

I'm not going to measure it. You are right, I'm not absolutely sure if it's 45 hz, 48 hz, or 42 hz. I don't really care. I know what satisfying bass sounds like in my room and the LS II were in the neighborhood even w/o a sub.

I must be getting some good rent free time in your head since you had to go back over a week ago to dig that one up.

Like you, I don't really care either. I was getting an AUDIBLE 35 Hz. from my original Quarter Pies, which were 1/2 a foot shorter than my version 2.2 (which I never built). But to maintain accuracy and integrity to my own optional standards, I provided curves that were worse than the actual. Under promise and over deliver is a good way to go.

18 minutes ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

Yep. Put Aluminum Diaphragms in mid driver, changed woofers to Eminence Kappa 15C (practice what I preach there), and added Ciare Bullet Tweeters, after building a mid/tweet Baltic Birch section on top of the Titan II midbass horn, the 2 coats of Spar Varnish to get the same honey color I got on my original 1977 KCBR Birch Klipschorns!

Forgot to add. The most micro detailed and probably the ugliest speakers I ever owned (modern Refrigerators have more aesthetic appeal). But from a Bauhaus perspective of "Form Follows Function," these are perfect for the basement 2.1.

The Seismic Sub (full horn) that Dr. Edgar said was best firing down on concrete floor is true. The Bass Horns are 3 feet long and Straight Axis, which I always wanted...............very LaScala-like in perfomance with about an 80 Hz. cutoff! (although my Yamaha Pre Pro's YPAO room correction says to cross at 60 Hz., due to cabin gain.

Although I never measured it, the Phase Coherency of the LaScala between Bass and Mid horns is the best that Klipsch Passive Networks have to offer. However the new Jubilee is probably the best ever, since the Active Xover Flattens all types of curves. Considering the technological age of the LaScala, it's pretty hard to beat as a "plug and play" speaker!!!