Blown Forte II ... Fix or Replace..??

Audio Android

Hi everyone..... I blew up one of my woofers and was wondering if I should send it in for reconstruction or just buy/find a factory replacement. I have no idea about pricing on either.  Also thinking about buying New Crites's woofers seeing as I'm about to upgrade my crossovers and modify my cabinets. I'm just a little lost on what to do. I'm not holding myself too stringently on keeping these 100% factory stock. I'm on a mission to upgrade. As I'm writing this out, those Crites woofers seem like the best option. I'm confused because I don't know how much better the Crites perform over stock and how much its gonna cost me to replace or fix the factory k-25-k.

Always grateful for your input and opinions👍..??

• Audio Android changed the title to Blown Forte II ... Fix or Replace..??
59 minutes ago, Audio Android said:

The Crites woofers are $220 a pair.

If anyone has any other suggestions on woofers in the range$+...Budget $250

I would either keep an eye out for a used k-25 to keep the speakers original or call Klipsch parts and find out what they offer.

• Like 1

You could probably find some one that fixes them. But will cost about same as Crites. There are ones that pop up on ebay and such but then you dont know what your getting. I vote for Crites I bought the cast frame ones for my k-Horns. 

If your in the mood for up grades might as well get tweeters also.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses!.... I would assume actually rebuilding this speaker is gonna be near the price of a new Crites woofer $115. And i actually never thought about upgrading using newer Klipsch woofers, maybe out of the new Forte IV. 

On 11/19/2021 at 7:00 AM, ricktate said:

might as well get tweeters also.

Yeah I know.. Thinking about new mid and tweeter Ti diaphragms. But I hear they increase listener fatigue. And that the phenolics are smoother. This is the problem with online conversations. I don't know anybody around town that has switched to Ti tweeters or mids, meaning I cannot go over and listen to the difference. Do you highly recommend the new Ti tweeters.

There are many of us here that have tried the Ti diaphragms.

Common consensus:

Tweeter - YES!

Midrange - NO!

They have more output than the equivalent phenolics. In a tweeter that is a good thing, with an unmodified crossover it’s not so good in the midrange. I bought a pair of the mid Ti diaphragms from another forum member and tried them in both Cornwalls and Chorus 2s. Under about 75db SPL they were revealing, above that they were out of balance, and that was with the bandpass filter that cuts off the response above 6khz.

I agree with the above suggestion to keep the woofers stock. Keep your eyes open for one.

Unless you never read another post on this forum you will be climbing the Klipsch ladder and stock speakers sell for more without the diminishing returns of “upgrades”. 

The Ti tweeter diaphragms will be useful in whatever you can put them into.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Audio Android said:

Thanks for the responses!...

Do you highly recommend the new Ti tweeters.

Yes, I agree with @geoff. above  as I've had the same experiences with both the mid and tweet-- the tweeter (to me) is both more revealing and smoother at the same time, smoother especially at higher volumes. It should tell you something that in the newest round of upgrades Klipsch has kept the titanium for its tweeters but moved back to Phenolic for the mids.

Also I've found Klipsch parts to be very reasonably priced, wouldn't be surprised if their new replacement woofer was around the same price as the Crites copy. I'd recommend buying a pair though to keep them both the same keep your good one as a spare or sell it to recoup some of your rebuild costs.

• Like 1