New La Scala vs Cornwall III

Ritchie

I presently own a pair of Cornwall III's and am thinking of upgrading to the new la scala's.

I don't have any klipsch dealers near me that stock the la scala so it's difficult to hear them.

Was hoping there may be some members with experience with the new la scala that could share their experience especially compared to the Cornwall if possible.

My room is approximately 27'x15'.

I use a single ended 300b based amp and I'm vinyl based only.

Thanks,

Ritchie 

You need to hear them for yourself. I have IIIs and a couple of pairs of LaS, and they have very different sound signatures. I also have Khorns and quite a few others, including 396s. The new LaS are magnificent speakers. Plan a road trip and find out for yourself.

SSH 

It's so different with you on the New World continent. We have a major city with Klipsch dealers every 150 to 200 km. Anyway, you have to hear them. I personally like to sacrifice some low frequencies for what the Lascala performs. Only, it's up to each person to decide. The listening experience is so much more natural. In contrast, any normal bass from a direct radiator sounds spongy, not airy, and in a negative sense "electric" and strained. It all depends on your taste in music. If very low tones are important many here say to add a sub. Sorry I have no experience with this.

• Like 2

• If you use subwoofer(s) crossing over at about 60 Hz, you may compensate for the La Scala LA 5's lack of the deepest bass BUT
  • My experience with Klipschorns is that they are so much cleaner than the subwoofer, that, even though they are attenuated in the deep bass (compared to  a good subwoofer), sometimes we prefer some music without the sub.  This may be true with any fully horn loaded speaker like a La Scala.  Over the years, we have played with a crossover at 80 Hz, 60 Hz, and 40 Hz with the Khorns and the sub.  Right now we think 40 Hz sounds the best for music (for movies, the additional, separate, LFE channel that gets mixed with the regular bass management channel before it goes out through the "subwoofer out" in the processor, used for special effects only, has its LPF set at 80 Hz (not the conventional 120 Hz), as advised by both Mark Seaton and Roger Dressler.   So, we like 40 Hz crossover for music alone and music in movies, and 80 Hz LPF for LFE. 
  • Or, if you are into woodworking, you could build your own horn loaded subwoofer -- there are discussions of this on this forum.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. 

I am down to either the Cornwall iv or la scala al5.

Hopefully I will find a dealer where I can hear them both.

Leaning heavily towards the la scala.

My music listening is mostly jazz so I don't feel I require the extra bottom end of the Cornwall.

I guess I'll find out.

1 hour ago, Ritchie said:

Interesting video.

Not my type of music but the la scala's sounded more open especially in the midrange!

Bottom end seemed faster and punchier obviously with the la scala but not as deep.

Hard to tell on YouTube but those were my impressions. 

the klipsch AL5  ,

• Like 2