New Guy - 1983 Heresy I

Wayne Ingraham

51 minutes ago, Wayne Ingraham said:

Thanks and good points. I may clean them up, put all new velcro stickers on so they are all 'restored' (to my level of skill/interest) together and run with them off for the most part as seeing the 3 separate components inside make them look a bit more unique and cool.

Great points. My office mates are few, so I'm not terribly worried about them, but we used to have xmas parties that would pack the place and I would not trust that all attendees would show the same restraint or know not to touch them.

Just checked and the screws all seem to be snug without being overtightened (wood around the screw doesn't seem to push in). The neoprene weatherstripping is an awesome hack on the airtight seal. I hope to not open them for a bit, but when I do, that sounds like a fantastic way to fix or at least double down on prevention.

Ahh, I saw some pictures in my searching where people were access from places other than the back.

Thank you, I appreciate it. It's been fun and informative so far.

Separately, this weekend I somewhat finished one of the speakers (leaving the other undone for comparison). I sanded it, cleaned it up with mineral spirits, let it dry, then  applied a diluted (with mineral spirits) cognac colored Varathane, then wiped it down with a microfiber towel. The stain came out far darker/redder than anticipated originally, but I actually love it now and can't wait to do it to the other speaker (after getting a few better pictures).

Here are some pics for those that like to see that sort of thing:

1983-heresy-i-speaker-restore_untouched_01.jpg

1983-heresy-i-speaker-restore_stained_01.jpg

Mine were much worse, and I got rid (90%) of the stains by applying oxalic acid.

https://www.brico.be/nl/badkamer-keuken-wonen/schoonmaken/reinigingsmiddelen/starwax-the-fabulous-zuringzout-multigebruik-500ml/5325429

starwax.jpg.33b63c059c452bb03687c54b7e536132.jpgDSCF6454.thumb.jpg.f073a3e0764859e5b1318fd12427c504.jpgDSCF6459.thumb.jpg.f9867c63fe46909ee5be24d28c83f4ea.jpgDSCF6460.thumb.jpg.80cbf2237875b181b6aeca3f7242c1f2.jpgDSCF6461.thumb.jpg.fee45721040525a2539825efc1a5fc29.jpgDSCF6462.thumb.jpg.767b2a2f2abadceff678d66f837834b0.jpg

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Wayne Ingraham said:

Thanks and good points. I may clean them up, put all new velcro stickers on so they are all 'restored' (to my level of skill/interest) together and run with them off for the most part as seeing the 3 separate components inside make them look a bit more unique and cool.

Great points. My office mates are few, so I'm not terribly worried about them, but we used to have xmas parties that would pack the place and I would not trust that all attendees would show the same restraint or know not to touch them.

Just checked and the screws all seem to be snug without being overtightened (wood around the screw doesn't seem to push in). The neoprene weatherstripping is an awesome hack on the airtight seal. I hope to not open them for a bit, but when I do, that sounds like a fantastic way to fix or at least double down on prevention.

Ahh, I saw some pictures in my searching where people were access from places other than the back.

Thank you, I appreciate it. It's been fun and informative so far.

Separately, this weekend I somewhat finished one of the speakers (leaving the other undone for comparison). I sanded it, cleaned it up with mineral spirits, let it dry, then  applied a diluted (with mineral spirits) cognac colored Varathane, then wiped it down with a microfiber towel. The stain came out far darker/redder than anticipated originally, but I actually love it now and can't wait to do it to the other speaker (after getting a few better pictures).

Here are some pics for those that like to see that sort of thing:

1983-heresy-i-speaker-restore_untouched_01.jpg

1983-heresy-i-speaker-restore_stained_01.jpg

They are gorgeous! Congratulations on the nice restoration work.

On 11/22/2021 at 10:59 PM, MeloManiac said:

Mine were much worse, and I got rid (90%) of the stains by applying oxalic acid.

Nicely done! Your speakers look awesome. That stuff looks to work really well. Since the cup stain is pretty light on mine, I *might* leave what ever doesn't get sanded out (but we will see). I don't mind a few light battle scars.

19 hours ago, CWelsh said:

They are gorgeous! Congratulations on the nice restoration work.

Thank you. Since my second post didn't show the additional pics, here they are (going to delete the other one). The top is a bit darker than the sides (I forgot to dilute with mineral spirits first) and one small drip is noticeable when you are looking at it, but so far all that have seen it in person are impressed with the difference from the other (untouched) speaker.

I'm looking forward to doing that one too (hopefully in the next few days), but I'm also working on wiring up an arcade in the office too.

PXL_20211123_205708955.jpg

PXL_20211123_205728892_20.jpeg

PXL_20211123_205735480_20.jpeg

Edited by Wayne Ingraham
  • Like 3

Those are looking great!

Thats going to be a beautiful pair once  you are done.

I think it was already mentioned, the H1’s can definitely benefit from a stiffer back as they are only 1/2” thick from the factory and they can resonate a bit at louder volumes.

On mine I cut some 3/4” mdf the same size as the back panel, added a hole for the input terminal, and then sandwiched it on the outside of the existing back using some longer screws through the existing holes in the stock back panel.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2021 at 11:22 AM, Wayne Ingraham said:

Nicely done! Your speakers look awesome. That stuff looks to work really well. Since the cup stain is pretty light on mine, I *might* leave what ever doesn't get sanded out (but we will see). I don't mind a few light battle scars.

Thank you. Since my second post didn't show the additional pics, here they are (going to delete the other one). The top is a bit darker than the sides (I forgot to dilute with mineral spirits first) and one small drip is noticeable when you are looking at it, but so far all that have seen it in person are impressed with the difference from the other (untouched) speaker.

I'm looking forward to doing that one too (hopefully in the next few days), but I'm also working on wiring up an arcade in the office too.

PXL_20211123_205708955.jpg

PXL_20211123_205728892_20.jpeg

PXL_20211123_205735480_20.jpeg

This is the kind of situation where 1+1 doesn't result in 2, but in much more. These speakers have a 'story' and now are treated with some tender, love and care. They'll last more than one life time. Their imperfections and scars will fade in the shining light and the music they'll send out!

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 8:34 PM, Wayne Ingraham said:

Hey All,

One of my friends recently was cleaning out her house and offered me her Klipsch Heresy I speakers. She had moved them out into a covered (but non-enclosed) garage. They sat out there for a few weeks being exposed to the elements. I was saddened to see them out there and assumed they wouldn't play great, but much to my surprise, they sound AMAZING.

The paper labels on the back aren't complete, but they seem to show the same serial numbers as stamped on the back 169Y942 and 169Y942. Using the decoder, it looks like these are from 1983. They also have "USA" and "K" stamped independently on the back as well. The USA seems obvious, but not sure what the K is (I gather it might be the employee who put it together), but any information would be appreciated.

The outer layer is a bit rough (not a patina worth preserving), but a very light sanding reveals an absolutely beautiful wood veneer (with a few dings that will still tell it's story), which I hope to apply an oil/stain/varnish to and bring it back to a nice finish.

I currently have them in my office (creative space with hardwood and exposed beams) and hope to keep them there as they really make the space fun and relaxed.

Anyways, excited as these are the best speakers I've ever heard (and now own), so I'm pretty stoked. I've only played flac through them with 2 mp3s (to hear the difference) and I already feel spoiled with how good they sound.

- Wayne

Great  speakers compared to anything at any price

worth ordering replacement crossovers

the ones I got from Crites sound good to me

Also worth retaining with Watco oil

Just follow the direction

Grill clothes can also be replaced

You got a $2000 pair of speakers for zero