Gil McDermott Needs some thoughts/prayers (Formerly: Any one in the Chicago area want some speakers?)

JoeR

• Moderators

Hate to hear this, really nice guy and as said, been around here forever. Only met him once or twice but never got to talk much, but enough to realize he loved how all of this works and tried many designs. Good luck WMcd.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2021 at 7:18 AM, DizRotus said:

Perhaps a member in the Chicago area can help you inventory the collection.  A PM to you from such a member could be a start.

I contacted them via PM and am willing to help.  I could probably store some gear in hopes that Gil will recover and be able to enjoy it in the future.

• Like 8

On 11/17/2021 at 8:09 AM, PrestonTom said:

This is very sad news.

I have the utmost respect for Gil, he is truly one of the good guys on the forum. I sincerely hope things take a turn for the better. 

I'm in total agreement here.  I (along with others) have had the pleasure to meet him at (in my case) some of the gatherings in Hope.

Hate hearing this.

• Like 1

Which City or town in the Chicago area ?

There are a number of people in the area who may be able to assist you

Crossing the metropolitan area can take 1-2 hours on a good day

There are a few members in the area who flip a lot of gear

and have the space to store it while they offer it for sale

You might consider letting one of them sell the gear on consignment

win win

Opusk above has I believe extended his hand

He is both fair and honorable in my dealings

I hope your brother recovers his good health

Hi All, 

I have been speaking with Joe @JoeR, Gil is improving mentally, but he has a long road ahead physically.

I will try to help out with selling the audio gear: (3) walnut Belle, walnut Forte 1 or 2 (I don't think they are Chorus), McIntosh gear (MC2505, MR74, MI-3), some home built Khorns and La Scala bass bins, etc.

I will post in the garage sale section, I only have the photos he provided and haven't seen/heard anything, so I can't speak to the condition yet.

However, I think Gil could really use the money, so please PM me know if you are interested.

They are located in downtown Chicago.  Still working on when they will be available to pick up.

Thank you.

Brandon

WMcD audio-1.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Latest Gil update:

Gil is still hospitalized.  He is eating normally and is off oxygen, but is still paralyzed on his left side.  Mentally he is pretty good, but there are some gaps and things he is confused about.

He will be going to a rehab facility soon and will be there for three to four months.  What happens after that depends on how much progress he makes during rehab, but it is unlikely that he will be able to live on his own.

• Like 1

Thank you for the update opus.  Glad there's some news, but this is a gut-punch.  To the extent possible, "make" him do his PT--the more he does, the more he'll be able to do and the road will be gradual.  It may add a touch of cheer to rig him up with a little Heritage table radio for him when possible.  Our thoughts are with all of you.